Options
2»

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,175
    edited October 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My wife has a theory, the more a restaurant advertises on TV the worse the food will be.

I've been to restaurants that are so far off the beaten path that you would never find them driving around. Every one of them was excellent and not one of them spent a dime on marketing, not even a road sign.
    I went to one in St. Louis Mo. I'm sure was mob owned. They kept bringing us out food and I was scared to stop eating. Top place I've ever ate. I couldn't find it again if my life depended on it.

Mama knew how to present food!

😁😁

Most likely The Edge on LaSalle St....excerpt from the link I provided below..."Steve Perry and Journey had dinner one night on the formal side; Eddie Money came in for lunch one day before his evening concert; Tony Bennett and the Charlie Daniels band would come in for barbecued ribs; Stan Musial would stand up in the middle of the dining room and play "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" on his harmonica and then sign autographs."

https://losttables.com/edge/edge.htm
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    My wife has a theory, the more a restaurant advertises on TV the worse the food will be.

I've been to restaurants that are so far off the beaten path that you would never find them driving around. Every one of them was excellent and not one of them spent a dime on marketing, not even a road sign.
    I went to one in St. Louis Mo. I'm sure was mob owned. They kept bringing us out food and I was scared to stop eating. Top place I've ever ate. I couldn't find it again if my life depended on it.

Mama knew how to present food!

😁😁

Most likely The Edge on LaSalle St....excerpt from the link I provided below..."Steve Perry and Journey had dinner one night on the formal side; Eddie Money came in for lunch one day before his evening concert; Tony Bennett and the Charlie Daniels band would come in for barbecued ribs; Stan Musial would stand up in the middle of the dining room and play "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" on his harmonica and then sign autographs."

https://losttables.com/edge/edge.htm

This was deep into the warehouse district, nothing around but old tall brick buildings and brick streets.

It might of had 15-20 tables.
    That is not it. It was in the first floor of a huge building. No signage what so ever.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I went to a Italian restaurant in upstate about 6 years ago.
    Everybody coming out had a bag. Nobody ever left there
    hungry. It was good as well. I don't think Olive garden got
    much business around there. Great family owned places all
    Over town.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options

Good restaurants, like good doctors or lawyers, are found best by word of mouth.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,005
    Options
    I miss Lum’s boiled in beer chili cheese dogs…..
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Bad restaurants are everywhere. I just don't go back & I do read reviews & understand that every restaurant gets bad ones.... We have a restaurant up here in Maine 3-4 locations. Called "Govenors Restaurant" their motto is "Eat Desert First". Well I ate there many of times back in the 80's & it was always good. When I bought my camp up north I travel often to, I decided to stop at one of their locations in Orono Maine. As I walked in I eye spy"d the desert display. A slice of pie was 1/4 of the pie pan. Right then I knew I had to have apple pie & ice cream. I only ordered a cup of chowdah cause I had to have that pie. Yummie.. Since then I stop in as much as possible. I enjoy dining out at good places
    Randy/Maine