Bad restaurant

Options
Applebee's
Traveling up North and got into Columbus late.
Stopped at Applebee's. 1st time in a decade. Last time in my life.
Food wasn't good. Then someone cleaning a table close by
Spattered ranch dressing all over. Yes, of course I was in
range. Got a big splash in my hair. Girl was very apologetic.
My hair is short enough I cleaned it off with napkins.
10 minutes later manager offered me a desert. No thanks,
burger was bad enough. Left. For good. I really don't like
most chains. Never did think much of these guys.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    We call them Crapplebee's for a reason
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Chains went downhill about 8 years ago

I know Chili's uses a boil in bag meal process for most entree's
    Gotten to the point you almost have to cook at home for a cost effective ....and a quality meal

Fast food prices are no longer competitive to a home cooked meal....cook at home, even a pre-prep at home is going to be better and cost effective.

My vacuum saver has doubled in usage over the last several months for pre-prepped meals. Better flavor, better price.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    You’ve always been able to eat at home cheaper than you can eat out......and the folks working in food and beverage? They are all understaffed and overworked...so a little grace and empathy goes a long way.

The business is tough right now, cost of goods is astronomical and employees are in very short supply....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    I never liked Aplebee's. Just surprised how it dived.
    I ate a chicken sandwich at Hardy's in Bowling Green.
    That was pretty tasty. So much is directly related to
    where and who's working there. Fast food around Memphis
    Is non-edible. For a little more money there are places that
    serve up pretty good chow. I get curry at a small place in
    Germantown that's perfect. And you better be hungry.
    There's a Chinese place that's solid as well.
    But for the most part, we don't go out much. The wife
    can whip up something good for not a lot of money.
    All that time watching cooking shows pays off I guess.
    We seldom eat beef anymore. But you could buy a couple
    of steaks and cook them on the grill and still spend a lot
    less than eating out. I'm thinking the current economic
    downturn is going to be brutal to a lot of fast food and
    restaurants. They have been tossing them up all over
    the last 20 years. That trend about to collapse.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Today I went to Kelly's fruit farm in Hilton NY.
    Got a freshly made jug of apple cider and a $20
    apple pie. It weighs twice as much as any pie you
    Can buy anywhere else. And it tastes twice as good.
    The cider is great as well. I haven't had their pie in
    30 years. My son dived into both right away.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    I think a lot chain restaurants have raised their prices a lot and lowered the quality of food all in the name of keeping shareholders happy.

I always try and eat local if possible (I realize you were on the road), local seems to care more. As Troy said, the restaurant business (local or chains) have a very, very tough time right now.

All that said I don't eat at Chili's or Applebee's or Perkins, etc. Not my type of food. But how can you screw a up a burger!

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    We like to eat out about once per week. Honestly don't recall the last time we ate at a chain restaurant and hope to keep it that way.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    We are fortunate to have lots of good to great local restaurants and food trucks in the area that we regularly partake in. Being the most visited place in the state of Texas helps with that…but man those good local places are NOT cheap. That’s why the crappy chains are still in business imho…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited October 2022
    Options
    We try to keep to local establishments as well, though lately the cost of the food has risen dramatically and we find it a lot more cost-effective to just stay home. We usually visit a popular butcher shop once every month or two, and stock up the deep freezer. And while their prices have gone up as well, the quality is still excellent and worth the hour it takes to get there and back.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    There are a few local places we like, and frequent. Any of the chains it seems like for one reason or another, we're disappointed. Lot's of corporate pressure to meet profit goals, with chain establishments, instead of just a mom and pop place wanting to serve great food and make a little money at the same time.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    When I travel for work. Quite often, actually... I usually look for the local diner with the most cars in the parking lot. That's usually a good indicator. I say usually because there are always exceptions. I went to one diner in western PA where the lot was full, but the food was not. Apparently, they make really good martinis. Unfortunately I had to get back on the road, so I couldn't imbibe. Maybe the food would have tasted better after a few.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I agree that chains are going downhill. My wife and I used to love Outback. Very consistent on road trips. We refuse to eat there anymore. Our local one is the pits.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    Hi,

I really dont do fast food places not a burger fan of them. All the time I travel for work I alwasy look for local places. Unless there is a Hooters to go for lunch, just for the wings. LOL

If you ever in Champaing IL. try https://www.watsonschicken.com/ ecxeclent fry chicken.

In Milwaukee if you want some Cuban food go for https://www.getbianchini.com/new-page Cubanitas great place.

Some good Japanese food in Houston go for Sage 400 really good.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    I'm an 1 1/2 hours from Champaign and occasionally go to Black Dog for bbq. Probably the best you'll find in Illinois. The best consistency for me has always been Texas Roadhouse as chains go.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    Options
    I like to eat out at least once a week as well..
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    I might go out once every couple of weeks. No chains or fast food.
    Hitting up nothing but local stuff in upstate while I'm here.
    So far everythings been good. Some of the places have been in the same
    family for generations.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    One of my faves is a small place in a small town near here. The Station House is a family owned old railroad building decorated with photos on the walls of the town's past(many in black & white). Background music is strictly 50's and 60's tunes w/o commercials.

Wife and I usually split an appetizer, each have our own meal of which the waitress just asks me if it's the usual. Mrs has an iced tea and I have water(no charge) we walk out the door full and under $40 including 20% tip. Only drawback is it's 15 miles away but it's a nice "country" ride.

Can't say the same about the prices at our other dinner spots but food is always good where we go.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    While I find most places cutting costs, and quality from their joints, I'm shocked to find the one place that isn't.....local bars. They've really kicked it up a few notches out by me. Go figure, bar food is getting better, regular restaraunt food worse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,102
    Options
    I refuse to eat at Dahmer’s BBQ in Milwaukee.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    I refuse to eat at Dahmer’s BBQ in Milwaukee.

Drive North to Plainfield and try Gein's Summer Kitchen.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    While I find most places cutting costs, and quality from their joints, I'm shocked to find the one place that isn't.....local bars. They've really kicked it up a few notches out by me. Go figure, bar food is getting better, regular restaraunt food worse.

Bars have gotten better here as well…largely as a result of covid. Restaurants could be open in Texas, bars could not, restaurant was defined as 50% or more revenue from food, so several bars added some pretty darn good menus. It makes sense seeing as alcohol is a MUCH higher revenue item than food, so you can take a little bit on the food…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    Want to know why bar food is improving?

Because their margins on alcohol gives them the flexibility and the gap between prefab garbage and higher quality products is narrowing so why not take advantage?

You’ll also notice lots of places that traditionally haven’t done so exploiting alcohol sales.....because there isn’t much profit in food right now...
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    Stopped at a deli in my old neighborhood. Huge subs for $12.95.
    I traded my son half of my Italian assorted for half of his meatball.
    The meatball was fantastic. Saved the assorted half for later.
    At 2:30p.m. place was hopping. That was a good hint it wad
    going to be good.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I recall a time when Chili’s or even Fudruckers was pretty, pretty good.
    But I agree with the consensus….as the Descendants song goes, “Everything Sucks Today”.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,331
    Options
    The wife and I went to Ruth's Chris a few days ago for our 32nd anniversary. Never been there before, but I will definitely be back, although not soon, as the price is quite high. That said, the meal was worth every penny - best rib steak I've ever had, and I've had my share. Fantastic service to boot - a true class act.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 675
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    The wife and I went to Ruth's Chris a few days ago for our 32nd anniversary. Never been there before, but I will definitely be back, although not soon, as the price is quite high. That said, the meal was worth every penny - best rib steak I've ever had, and I've had my share. Fantastic service to boot - a true class act.

I like Ruth Chris, but if you have a Fleming's Prime steakhouse nearby, I like it significantly more than Ruth Chris. Similar prices though.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,925
    edited October 2022
    Options
    A few days ago the wife, our daughter, and I went to Outback for dinner, service was the worst we have ever had, I was quite upset by the end of it all.
    First it was super slow just getting water, and or drinks, and after we ordered they brought out our salads, as I was eating mine there was a long hair in it, of course I asked for a new salad without the extra add on.
    I had ordered salmon, and a sweet potato loaded, when my dinner came the sweet potato was about the size of a hand ball maybe a little smaller, as I broke it open you could smell it was burnt on the bottom, and hard in that area, when the kid came back by I told him to take it away that I can't eat that plate.

Well time kept going by thinking I was getting a new plate, when he finally came back by I asked about it, I was told the manager would be by to talk to me and that I need to have patience, keep in mind the family was just about done eating their dinner, at that time I snapped on the kid about having patience, and asked if I was getting a new plate so I could eat dinner as well, he did continue to tell me that she would be by, and that yes I need to have patience, I was pretty upset/pi$$ed at this point.

The manager was just as useless and acted all confused on whether or not I want a new plate, I told her yes that is the reason we are here, and how it was a very long day. I told her to just make it to go as I was done sitting in this place.

Well she brings out my dinner to go,and the bill, of course she took off my dinner, but when I looked at my dinner to go it was the same piece of salmon that was on my plate I could see the one bite I had taken out of it earlier when this all started.

I looked at my wife and told her I can't pay for any of this, that I am too upset, and giving this place any money will just pi$$ me off more, she asked what we are going to do, I told her we are going to walk out of here and go home, and that is what we did.

My wife called Longhorn up, and ordered me takeout so I had dinner, I really wish I had taken pictures of the two dishes, as it was a night and day difference in quality..

Outback SU(/<S..

I tried to keep this story short as possible, it seriously was a complete cluster F. I have had bad service before but never to the point of this level of rude, and to the point of walking out, and not paying, I just could not give them one dime..
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Larry about 15yrs ago the ex-wife and I went to our Outback. Long story short our food was HORRIBLE. I asked to speak to the manage and politely expressed my displeasure, The manger accused us of just wanting a "free" meal, I was astonished yet he was not done. He told us we would be paying for the meal and in the future we should dine somewhere else. It was our very first time ever eating at Outback.
    I told him how astonished and insulted we felt and I would not be paying for the meals. I also told him he had better get the police there to arrest us for theft. They actually did call the cops and tried to take our meals away from the table. We held on to them until the police arrived. They were incredulous, my medium rare steak was well past well done, my ex-wives lobster tail was so over cooked it was harder than a Goodyear tire. The police walked us out we didn't pay and have NEVER been back to one in ANY city or state.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    My wife has a theory, the more a restaurant advertises on TV the worse the food will be.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    My wife has a theory, the more a restaurant advertises on TV the worse the food will be.

I've been to restaurants that are so far off the beaten path that you would never find them driving around. Every one of them was excellent and not one of them spent a dime on marketing, not even a road sign.
    I went to one in St. Louis Mo. I'm sure was mob owned. They kept bringing us out food and I was scared to stop eating. Top place I've ever ate. I couldn't find it again if my life depended on it.

Mama knew how to present food!

😁😁