Infinity 7 Kappa

tratliff
tratliff Posts: 1,651
I ran across a pair of mint 7 Kappas yesterday. They have been reconditioned and even came with the boxes and manuals. Not a scratch on them. Going to use them in my vintage system.

wcfc2saiqtsd.jpeg
utwt7dkqyrfw.jpeg
8mi9szppdwez.jpeg
ht3757o8h8rg.jpeg
2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Look great!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Look great! The Kappa series was pretty well thought of....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Just sold my Kappa 8’s. I really liked them. I tried to sell them about a year ago on the forum but no interest. That really surprised me. The EMIT tweeter is really nice. But they have awesome bottom end as well. Your 7’s look awesome. Classy oak cabinets. Every time I put my 8’s in the system I thought, “these are really good speakers.” Congrats!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I went through a period where my Kappa 9 were my end all be all speaker. That was now 4 different speakers ago. I loved the bass impact from the sealed 2x 12” woofers, and the polygraph mid bass was quite smooth.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    dromunds wrote: »
    Just sold my Kappa 8’s. I really liked them. I tried to sell them about a year ago on the forum but no interest. That really surprised me. The EMIT tweeter is really nice. But they have awesome bottom end as well. Your 7’s look awesome. Classy oak cabinets. Every time I put my 8’s in the system I thought, “these are really good speakers.” Congrats!

I remember. We had talked about getting them from you at one point. These showed up kinda locally and I decided to grab them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Sweet set! Two thumbs up
  • I remember three things about the Infinity Kappa speakers when I used to sell them:
    1). how good they sounded.
    2). how many tweeters I repaired.
    3). putting out a Yamaha power amp on fire with the Kappa 9's.
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 990
    edited November 2022
    I remember three things about the Infinity Kappa speakers when I used to sell them:
    1). how good they sounded.
    2). how many tweeters I repaired.
    3). putting out a Yamaha power amp on fire with the Kappa 9's.

Bahahaaaaa….. yup.

My Kappa 8’s used to make my amp dim the lights and squeeze the picture on my tv.
    They ended up putting the amp out of its misery quite quickly, a Phase Linear 400 Series II.
    Ended up with a Yamaha MX-1000u after my amp died. Was a tad more cautious with the yammie.

Kappa 9’s are a whole different animal.

Pretty sure the 7’s were the cutoff point of the Kappa series amp busters.
    8 & 9’s were a hard speaker to drive.

My Phase Linear had no problem driving my first pair of speakers, pair of 901 III’s.

Apologies on the long post.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    I’ve always had an interest in Infinity.....I’ve sniffed around a couple pair of RSIIb’s and QLS....but have always had a healthy fear of maintenance, upkeep and fire
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Kappa 8’s werent that hard to drive in my experience. I had them last on a Marantz SM-80 no problem and they sounded great.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2022
    Sometimes I swap out my Rossos for Kappa 5s for a while. They sound nice and I really enjoy them, the bigger ones are probably awesome.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    dromunds wrote: »
    Kappa 8’s werent that hard to drive in my experience. I had them last on a Marantz SM-80 no problem and they sounded great.

It was the dual 12” woofers in the 9 that gave the crazy impedance curve - something like 1.2 ohms from 50hz-70hz. I never had trouble running them with the Carver Silver 9t mono blocks. A lot of folks went to tubes for the 9, even if they were typically solid state inclined.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,453
    edited November 2022
    plqndgk7vdyk.png

The 15mHy inductor to ground was the real problem, early versions didn't have the series resistor which could be selected if the owner didn't have a good amplifier.