R20 Bookshelf Speaker Question

Options
I have a set of Polk R20 Bookshelf speakers that are prettyyyyy old. One of them sounds amazing, but the second one is possibly blown. It doesn’t produce the same volume as it’s twin, and the audio is much thinner (I don’t know if that’s even a real word, but it’s the best way I can think to describe it).

I’m certain it’s the speaker because I’ve check the connections, replaced the wires and also switched wires with the working bookshelf speaker to rule everything else out.

How can I know if it’s blown? And if it is, can I do anything about it?
Thanks!
Katie

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Hello Katie,
    Welcome to the forum. Your speaker has two components, the tweeter produces high frequency sounds and the mid range/woofer produces all the remaining sounds. Usually a "thin" sound means the mid range woofer is not working just leaving the tweeter. It is possible the wire connections on the mid range/woofer have come loose. You can remove the screws that go around the woofer and pull it out away from the cabinet.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    I have a set of Polk R20 Bookshelf speakers that are prettyyyyy old. One of them sounds amazing, but the second one is possibly blown. It doesn’t produce the same volume as it’s twin, and the audio is much thinner (I don’t know if that’s even a real word, but it’s the best way I can think to describe it).

I’m certain it’s the speaker because I’ve check the connections, replaced the wires and also switched wires with the working bookshelf speaker to rule everything else out.

How can I know if it’s blown? And if it is, can I do anything about it?
    Thanks!
    Katie

And if Ken's suggestion above doesn't help, you can disconnect the mid-woofer, connect it directly to the speaker wire, and play some music through it at a VERY low volume. if you get no a little sound, the woofer is toast. Given the age of the speakers, the best bet would be to scour craigslist and Facebook marketplace and find some new used speakers. You should be able to find something comparable or better for $50-75.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • kcbehrhorst
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be as cut and dry as it being just blown. The woofer is still producing sound and the wires are intact. I think I’ll end up looking for some new used ones after all!
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    Is it possible the woofer is working and the tweeter is not? This usually gives a dull quality to the sound.
  • kcbehrhorst
    Options
    The tweeter appears to be working too. I’m not sure what’s going on!

I’d definitely still describe the sound as “thin” and the volume is definitely less than its counterpart speaker.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    The only remaining component is the crossover, a circuit inside the cabinet that directs high frequencies to the tweeter and the remainder to the woofer. Usually this is the least likely part to cause problems, but that is all that's left. It is probably a very simple design in this model but requires a bit of effort to get to.
  • kcbehrhorst
    Options
    Got it. Well I don’t know that I’m up to figuring it out. If you are interested in tinkering with them, I’m happy to send them to you!