Help me hang my framed posters

I've never used a stud finder or hung a picture in my life. Once you're done laughing... get it out of your system... Ok

sp51ia13gxfd.jpg

How do I know which setting to use 1/2" 1" or 1.5" ?? These cost a lot of money to frame and will be above a lot of expensive things so I want to be ultra sure I'm doing it right.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2022
    Josh, those in the photo are rated for 20 lbs. They also come with much heavier ratings.

Hanging framed art is easy. Hold or have someone hold the frame on the wall to get an idea of where it looks best. Using a pencil make a small line mark on the wall at the top center. Next using a tape measure pull up gently on the wire at the center and note the measurement distance from the top. Use that distance to measure down from the pencil mark. That is where you put the nail and/or hook.

Once you're happy with the placement use the eraser to remove the pencil mark.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Those are some nice picture hangers. I’m getting those next time.

But yeah pictures and posters should be light enough for a simple hanger. If you’ve got a big mirror or something heavy then it may be time to bust out the stud finder or use some kind of anchor.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Appreciate the advice, I will get those hangers.

This is what the framer gave me and I was just assuming you had to nail through a stud. Pictures weigh maybe like 5-6 pounds I'm guessing.

afdjmbxfn6je.jpg
    aeqdhzkjb9nu.jpg

• F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Those are the type not to use.

I should add that the weight rating is with using the hook. If using just the nail the rating will be less.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Everything that has been suggested is exactly right. Because of the angle of the nail, the hooks will never come loose.

Since you have the stud finder, though, and may use it for other projects, keep in mind two things:
    1. The numbers you asked about are supposed to match the depth of the drywall. Bathrooms and kitchens (where moisture is expected) typically have thicker drywall.
    2. Stud finders are magnetic. They are actually detecting nails in the stud, hence the randomness of results.

I actually hate stud finders, but maybe it’s because I’m not good at using them. If in doubt, just poke around with a hole starter tool, and fill any of the small holes afterwards. Factor in the normal spacing of studs to improve your investigative method.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    Mr. StartPage says they work by capacitance:

"When the plate inside the stud finder is over wall board, it will sense one dielectric constant (sort of like an insulating value); but when it is over a stud, the dielectric constant is different. It works on a capacitance differential generated by density difference. The circuit in the stud finder can sense the change and reports it on its display."
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    The ones Jesse suggested are great, and easy to use, you will find the ones with a larger rating will take three nails per hook.

Having a stud finder is still a great tool to have, you don’t need an expensive one to get the jobs done around the house, my $20 one has served me well through the years, and they are easy to use..

Once you find the spot where you want to hang the picture use the stud finder to see if there is a stud in the area you are going to use that hook, those little nails don’t like studs, so may want to use a different hook, or move your hook a little to the left or right if that works for you to avoid the stud..
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I've been using those OOK hangars into drywall for many years with zero problems. Even hung a 30-40 lb mirror over a fireplace with them by using two hangars. Their nails are tougher than usual nails.

For an extra comfort level it's still advisable to use a stud finder to make sure there's no electrical cable right where the nail goes in. That's the flash and AC symbol.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I’ll give you guys a laugh. I tell my wife she will have to use the stud finder because when I use it it goes crazy… she just rolls her eyes.

They work great but you have to check your work. But for most pictures it’s not necessary.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Viking64 wrote: »
    A thread about framed posters with no pix of the posters?

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boom Chicka Wow Wow

https://youtu.be/vgxxAwue7Fs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Just music & video game stuff.

• Nightfall
    edited October 2022
    I have a lithograph for an upcoming space scifi game called Starfield on the way too, then I'll take it to my framer. Big fan of Bethesda.

v6xkr5mhdzyi.jpg

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Nice work on those!
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Mr. StartPage says they work by capacitance:

"When the plate inside the stud finder is over wall board, it will sense one dielectric constant (sort of like an insulating value); but when it is over a stud, the dielectric constant is different. It works on a capacitance differential generated by density difference. The circuit in the stud finder can sense the change and reports it on its display."
    No idea, to be honest. I’m just quoting what was stated in the installation guidelines from a recent purchase. They claimed they were magnetic. 🤷‍♂️

One is supposed to identify BOTH extremities of the stud, coming at it from either side, so to speak. 🤨
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2022
    The Bethesda lithographs are worth framing if you're thinking to yourself who would frame a video game poster. They're each numbered and only 3-400 are made. Looks like this guy's is getting yellow from the sun, he should have framed it with museum glass ;)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225192557193?hash=item346e85ba89:g:ZiUAAOSwHH5jPYuh&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoDPBIFy1OJN6THVlcwW+9Aj2sa5WpMjbpuKlvNf4A0BwrgKxjvRQbjR+EBbg4P6lasmMKA/grUMAo730khOLP2hQi0//H5HgDXep9WqcSGsqaC4LpnsK8IsmxYNSqGb0R0okTKZae6zt6HxeJTIrFx+BZVKaB0RrTH5bziwiQxtOrZCZ3UuXPBhvftY/Zb0w5F9DwLVnEEeSNin8ggqmY+k=|tkp:Bk9SR7r5ipGGYQ

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    @Kex
    One is supposed to identify BOTH extremities of the stud, coming at it from either side, so to speak. 🤨

I was not aware they only ever worked in one direction.

The magnetic models are for steel studs. Maybe 35yrs ago they were for nails but that was a loooong time ago and they were very hit or miss.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Yeah stud finders find the edges, not the stud center
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2022
    I got a 15 pack of the 20 pound hangers for $7 shipped on Amazon. Saved myself the time and gas. I don't know how anyone is making money shipping these for so cheap. Thanks again Jesse.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I got a 15 pack of the 20 pound hangers for $7 shipped on Amazon. Saved myself the time and gas. I don't know how anyone is making money shipping these for so cheap. Thanks again Jesse.

It's simple, the rest of us are subsidizing the cost by our increased shipping rate costs the companies are charging us for the cheap rates Amazon bullies the shipping companies to give them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Find both edges of the stud; mark the spots and put the hanger in the middle of the 2 edges; easy peasy. If you can't figure out the studfinder perhaps resort to the age old method of the knuckle rap. If both those methods don't work there's also various types of expansion hardware made to go where there isn't a stud. FWIW they all work quite well.
  • Nightfall
    Getting closer

ac1sbuupbkll.jpg

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I've been using those OOK hangars into drywall for many years with zero problems. Even hung a 30-40 lb mirror over a fireplace with them by using two hangars. Their nails are tougher than usual nails.

For an extra comfort level it's still advisable to use a stud finder to make sure there's no electrical cable right where the nail goes in. That's the flash and AC symbol.

Electrical wiring is supposed to be protected by a metal plate over the place where they pass through studs, and are generally not found at the level where nails are used to hang pictures, but a great point just the same...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Getting closer

ac1sbuupbkll.jpg

A new hammer too just for the occasion! Awesome! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    Good job.

President of Club Polk