Anyone else find the smell of gas, "odd" or "off" lately?

Options
I have been stomping this big, blue marble for some time now and have had more than a few "whiffs" of gas over the years. Now, I am talking about gasoline, not natural gas or any other type of gas.

Here lately, over the course of the past (more than few) months, I have noticed a "new" smell to the gas. I don't know whether or not it's stale, bad or even if more Ethanol is added to the mix (could be bad or stale Ethanol, for all I know). What I have noticed is either I am getting old and my smell is going....or something has changed in the gas.

Simple question with very few responses available for the poll. I made the poll to where no one can see your vote but I am truly curious....

Is there any change that you have noticed since you were knee high to a duck, with regards to the smell of gasoline?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Anyone else find the smell of gas, "odd" or "off" lately? 13 votes

Yes
23% 3 votes
No
53% 7 votes
Undecided
23% 3 votes

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,439
    Options
    Just a thought. Huffing petrol is probably not good for you.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    It's not like I strive to do it....

It's much like passing a sewage treatment plant, to me. You can't help but notice.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    You know it's funny, I was reading the warning today at the pump out of boredom and it says don't smell the vapors, dont do it Tom!!

With that said, I can't say I've noticed any changes.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Depending on where you live they could be switching over to the winter blend.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Fentanyl is getting in the fuel supply…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I think covid changed your sense of smell. :)
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,190
    Options
    I don't know if they are required to identify it at the pumps (law may vary by state), but you could be smelling E15.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Non-Ethanol smells horrible
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Like all things of taste, you have to let it breath and swirl it around to maximize the aroma. Wait, what are we talking about again?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Does it smell sweet, Tom?
    I disabled signatures.
  • audioluvr
    edited October 2022
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Does it smell sweet, Tom?

Boy I don't like where this is going...

:D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Are you sure you aren’t pregnant? 🤷‍♂️

l93zzedj0gkk.gif
    Alea jacta est!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    You know...they say when you start taking hormones, your sense of smell changes... >:):D
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Can't remember your location Tom, but here in the Midwest we start changing to the Winter blend of fuel right about now. Maybe that has a different odor and you've never noticed? Just spit ballin' here.

I know the last time I spilled some filling my lawn mower I didn't notice anything different. Otherwise I avoid spilling enough to huff......

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Haven't noticed anything different. Gasoline stopped smelling like gasoline quite a while ago. :|

Indeed, where I usually get gas (BJs -- a regional memberhip 'club', a la Costco) I haven't noticed any smell at all lately. I don't think it's me :o I assume it's really good vapor recovery? ;)
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Vapor recovery…. Is that like a bong for gasoline?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    This thread reminds me of a story: when I was in high school, a kid transferred in and was on the basketball team. He hated his prior basketball coach and used to complain about him all the time, how he benched him for the smallest things and rode him ceaselessly until he couldn’t take it and transferred. One night a bunch of us went out drinking and he was driving. On the way home, he pulled into a suburb and we asked him what he was doing. Without a word, he pulled over, stopped the vehicle, and said, “I’ll be right back.“ He opened up the trunk and took something out and walked away in the dark. A short time later he came back and we noticed he was carrying a gas can. He said nothing else during the drive back. Several weeks later a bunch of us were with him again in his car, and he said I wanna show you guys something. He drove into the same suburb we had been in several weeks earlier. He drove slowly by a house and he was beaming with pride. We looked and noticed that ”F@ck Y@u Anderson” in big letters was burned into the grass in the front yard. We quickly deduced what the gas can had been used for several weeks before.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,880
    Options
    Gas smells different depending on what I eat. Kids hate it when I consume lots of protein....
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Vapor recovery…. Is that like a bong for gasoline?

Vanilla needs a retch button...

;)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Gotta laugh at all the grief/love you're getting Tom!

I do like the smell of racing fuel, however!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    For me, it's JP-5 coming out the back of an F-4 or F/A-18

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    verb wrote: »

It's all good. I was vindicated today. A coworker of mine (whom I have never filled up gas in my truck with before) was sitting in the passenger seat and as I was filling up, his exact word's were, "That gas don't smell right!"

So, I am not the only one. I have been to a plethora of gas stations all around my area and the "recent" smell of gas is off. I can't describe what it smells like (never smelled anything like it before) but it damned sure don't smell like gasoline.

I had never mentioned anything to this guy, nor spoken with anyone he knew about the change in smell. He offered that up on his own accord. Something is different....just don't know what.

Tom

• mhardy6647
    Options
    maybe that strategic reserve stuff is past its best by date...

:#
  • audioluvr
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    maybe that strategic reserve stuff is past its best by date...

:#

That's the good stuff!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »

It's all good. I was vindicated today. A coworker of mine (whom I have never filled up gas in my truck with before) was sitting in the passenger seat and as I was filling up, his exact word's were, "That gas don't smell right!"

So, I am not the only one. I have been to a plethora of gas stations all around my area and the "recent" smell of gas is off. I can't describe what it smells like (never smelled anything like it before) but it damned sure don't smell like gasoline.

I had never mentioned anything to this guy, nor spoken with anyone he knew about the change in smell. He offered that up on his own accord. Something is different....just don't know what.

Tom

Tom, is your friend in the room with us now ?
    😅😇
    Sal Palooza
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    For me, it's JP-5 coming out the back of an F-4 or F/A-18
    I was thinking the same. MIL jets and turbo-props - the only tail end smell you can say out loud that you enjoy and not feel shame.

I disabled signatures.