POLKFEST 2022 - Oct 7-9 THE OFFICIAL THREAD

2»

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Great photos Trey (and Charleston is a great destination) .....and the donation to the Githen’s Center is beyond generous!!
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    7wrwhl2tgakg.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Great pictures! The food was off the hook!

A side note, the first song to break in the fest was Baby Shark, true story!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Can really hear the L800 bass capabilities!

https://youtu.be/fArekHD2XWU
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That was absolutely adorable

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Wish I lived closer...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    So how well did the Legends do in living up to their moniker?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    L800 is a fun speaker, throws out a big stage!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    In the last picture, I am glad to see someone has their Christmas shopping done early. That bag of coal will go a long way towards finishing my list this year.
    :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2022
    So, to the question about the L800's.......IMO, the best speaker that Polk has ever made. Hands down.

Now, props to Tom for bringing them out into the room so there is three feet to the front wall.....it made a HUGE difference in terms of soundstage depth. I think that given the listening position that reducing the space between them would be ideal but there are practical concerns there.

I've said before and will say again......if you are a classic SDA nut....and I use F1 as my benchmark.....you will probably prefer the classic SDA sound. For reasons I've covered before, I think this is a true, fair and nderstadable conclusion. No way I'd try and convince F1 to forgo his 2.3tl's for these.

That said, I think that the L800 is capable of delivering a true, modern, high end performance. It just different that classic SDA sound. I think the L800 is much more fussy and demanding (and ultimately rewarding for the effort) in terms of setup than it's predecessors. It is fairly unforgiving of poor upstream electronics and is brutal to poorly recorded music.

As far as PF......a blast was had by all.

However, the turnout was a little discouraging. Again, it's awesome hanging out with Tom and Trey and Mike and his family and my friends and neighbors. And, if it's time to put PF out to pasture......ok, I get it. But, if the forum collectively wants it to ultimately survive....it has to support it. A common refrain has always been, well, it's in Charleston......Ok, we can have PF anywhere BUT someone has to host and I'm certainly not going to impede someone else taking this on. Also, I've heard rumbling about a lack of suppport from Polk. Well, part of that is driven by attendance. From a business standpoint.....Polk, understandably, isnt going to lay out resources to support an event that has three forum attendees. I get that so if you want Polk suuport, goodies and swag....we have to have attendance and participation.....and this year , it was crickets for the most part. Again, if we want PF to be a thing, it needs our support. It's not MY thing....PF is OUR thing.

BDT (of the PolkFest loving BDT's)
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    edited October 2022
    TroyD wrote: »
    Now, props to Tom for bringing them out into the room so there is three feet to the front wall.....it made a HUGE difference in terms of sound stage depth.

Well, now you know why I was bending over in one of the pic's. I was evaluating where to put the sweet spot seat after moving the speakers out, for optimal sound.

Sorry for the delay in getting these photos out but better late than never.

9r6lteeeqb6y.png
    Mike (not an active forum guy) and his wife and daughter (Betty and Allyson)...

j8ryepajt7eu.png
    A couple of Troy's friends that stopped by to join in on the fun...

x6hp50rtuply.png
    Grub time...

x2eb9i3d0h3b.png
    Trey, capturing the moment...his actual photo seen in a previous post.

xrntjznzcja9.png
    Some of the ladies.....TLW's best friend since they were knee high to a duck on the L, TLW center and Michelle on the R.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMHuu2AkTJc1ZOrWJWlA8jPzAkEQh5VEI1bI5GV
    I don't know if this will take ^^^ but the boys across the street having fun with their toys...(it's a video)

3egg72j8ecz7.png
    za8q1wq21605.png
    The past two photos is Trey showing me how to take a photo with my phone pen. Who knew?

i7q2vvnpi6sh.png
    Mike R and family enjoying the sounds...

lhmubxi85wjt.png
    Surprise photo from around the corner that turned out not to be such a surprise...

8pff8kgzf1qv.png
    Our version of the Polk "Bobsled"...

oiavohj4tusp.png
    Me, last year, apparently three sheets to the wind...right before I started dancing. Wendi says that it's not "officially PolkFest" until I start dancing. That's when they all know I'm ripe. LOL Gotta admit, I do look happy!

...and for the grand finale....the Lovely Wendi in her natural "Polkfest" habitat. She looks pretty happy too!
    rav0eafz0fw3.png

Tom

Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I thought Mike Reeter was a member here? I swear I remember seeing him posting.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • treitz3
    edited October 2022
    I am so bad with names.....Sorry. That was Mike (not an active forum guy) and his wife and daughter (Betty and Allyson).

Thanks for pointing that out. (I corrected it)

Tom
  • VR3
    edited October 2022
    Different Mike, he is a member but never posts. I wont post his last name since he isnt active

Love the pics!