SVS SB4000 amp swap

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
The other day my sub started making a rapid popping sound. After confirming it was definitely the sub I called SVS. They asked me to send them a short audio/video of the sound. In no time at all they confirmed the amp was bad. A new amp was shipped overnight and a return shipping label provided. They also provided new screws and an allen bit, nice touch.

The amp swap details...
My sub is very close to the back wall, so I needed to move it to change the amp. I decided the smart thing to do was to pull it over on its left side onto a soft moving blanket, then pull the blanket out into the open. As it turned out laying it over on the left side is the best way to access the connectors. The hardest part of the swap was removing the green glue on the Molex connectors. SVS suggests cutting the glue with a razor blade, but that didn't get me anywhere. By chance I found it simply peels off, all of it. I will mention that to them. Back in place it simply requires paring with the app and it rumbles once again.

Inspection of the original amp showed no obvious issue, so I'm not sure what failed. Maybe SVS can tell me and hopefully they have made the appropriate improvement because the original only lasted 4 years.

I have to say that SVS customer
service is stellar. Kudos!!!
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• F1nut
    Showing the two connection points.
    wtoxd9yw6gnb.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited October 2022
    need more pictures!!!

Glad they took care of you!

EDIT: That amplifier needs more glue... a little bit more everywhere!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited October 2022
    I had an issue with one of the drivers in my SVS years ago, they sent a new one in short order and no issues since. All they asked was that I return the defective one. Done.

Damn, for sh*ts and giggles I dug through the archives and found that my sub failure was 14 years ago. Time flies don't it.

* SVS still chugging along too :wink:
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • F1nut
    I should update this.

The new amp does not carry a new 5 year warranty. I'm not real happy about that because a new amp out of warranty is $600.00.

I got no response to my question about what caused the failure and if the new amp is an improved version. I'm not really happy about that either.

That said, I am happy the sub is working again.

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    They must give some kind of warranty on the new amp, no?

Like, if it was replaced under warranty at year 4/5, would the new one only carry the balance remaining on the original, and therefore basically be one year?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• VR3
    That's the way I would interpret it, if an amp is replaced at 4 years on a 5 year warranty, it would carry then a one year warranty.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    Even "lifetime" warranties are usually limited in some way, and I can see why they would do that ^^^, you know there would be people intentionally opening the thing up and snipping a capacitor lead or something on their amp and expecting 5 more years, etc.

I was just curious if the amp @F1nut had replaced fell into that category.

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Also be aware their open box items carry the 5 year warranty only to the original buyer. If you sell the subwoofer the new owner does not get the balance of the 5 years from your purchase date. They get whatever the original serial number has remaining which may be nothing depending on the model.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • F1nut
    polrbehr wrote: »
    They must give some kind of warranty on the new amp, no?

Like, if it was replaced under warranty at year 4/5, would the new one only carry the balance remaining on the original, and therefore basically be one year?

That is exactly the case here.

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    polrbehr wrote: »
    I had an issue with one of the drivers in my SVS years ago, they sent a new one in short order and no issues since. All they asked was that I return the defective one. Done.

Damn, for sh*ts and giggles I dug through the archives and found that my sub failure was 14 years ago. Time flies don't it.

* SVS still chugging along too :wink:

As we all know, the more technology in a piece of equipment, the more likely it will fail. Those early SVS were pretty simple iirc, so it would make sense that they would last a lot longer.

I have MF A308 that's probably 20 yearsish old, and still sounds amazing, and an ACI Titan sub from the late 90s - one of the most musical subs I've ever heard - still works perfectly and sounds amazing. But I don't think there's any DSP in it, much less a wireless connection lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • polrbehr
    Mine is a 2007 model PB12-NSD/2 with the stock BASH amp. It was purchased off SVS site as B-stock. It still came with the customary warranty though, no clue why one driver failed as they claim it
    was checked (it did work fine for awhile, and was not overdriven at all). FWIW, the amp was and still is fine.
    I chalked it up to **** happens, I am sure F1 will have many good years remaining with his.

• VR3
    I know the early svs subs by tc sounds had issues with the surround coming loose
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited October 2022
    My SVS PB12-Plus/2 is still going strong. I upgraded to the 12.3 drivers. Probably closing in on 20 yrs at this point. Still kicks **** and shakes the house. I suspect SVS would take care of you if the replacement amp failed in a reasonable time frame.
  • VR3
    Svs 20 years ago, as a company, is no where near the same. Not saying good or bad, but your sub was made in America with very nice high quality parts.

Chinese products these days look beautiful but leave alot to be desired once you start poking under the hood. From the mdf to the metals used for the driver baskets.

They don't make em like they used to, even 20 years ago.