How to Identify my model of Speakers

bigcarpileup
bigcarpileup Posts: 7
edited October 2009 in Speakers
My brother gave me his Polk Audio Speakers that he bought new as well a Pioneer Receiver. I am trying to wire the whole thing up and make it sound as good as possible. I have moved twice since acquiring them and lost the metal jumpers for the terminals in the back. I don't know how many jumpers there originally were, but I now only have 1. Without the jumpers I decided to wire them up not knowing the first thing about "bi-wiring" and that has led me here.

My Main question is: How do I identify the model of Polk Audio Speaker that they are? I have looked all over the black exterior and have taken the black covers off the front that simply say "Polk Audio". They each have 2 mid-range looking speakers and 1 tweeter on the top. My last resort was to maybe unscrew them and look inside. Any other advice?

The model # i thought would help me to obtain the Jumpers online somewhere. Or I thought I could learn more about bi-wiring. So far my success with the bi-wiring is minimal. I have gotten some good sound, but if I go too far up with the volume, the receiver displays "OVERLOAD" and shuts down. At first I had the highs wired to the Front B connectors in the back, but after reading some about bi-wiring I put both the highs and lows in the Front A connectors.
Post edited by bigcarpileup on

Comments

• McLoki
    McLoki Posts: 5,231
    edited October 2009
    take the grill off one of the speakers, set them side by side and take a picture then post it here. Someone will be able to identify it. Not enough in your description to do it for us.

For the jumper you lost, just cut a short length of speaker wire and use it like a jumper to connect the top and bottom red or black terminal together.

Before you change anything though - post the pictures to ensure that we are giving you the correct advice.

Michael

BTW - Welcome the Club Polk.
    Mains.............Polk LSi15 (Cherry)
    Center............Polk LSiC (Crossover upgraded)
    Surrounds.......Polk LSi7 (Gloss Black - wood sides removed and crossovers upgraded)
    Subwoofers.....SVS 25-31 CS+ and PC+ (both 20hz tune)
    Pre\Pro...........NAD T163 (Modded with LM4562 opamps)
    Amplifier.........Cinepro 3k6 (6-channel, 500wpc@4ohms)
  • polkanddie
    polkanddie Posts: 224
    edited October 2009
    Me thinks they are RT12, or RT16. But I agree, take a picture and you will have your answer in about 3 seconds. lol
    TV- Insignia 46'' LED,1080p,120hz
    Monster Power center hts3600 mk2
    Onkyo tx sr 503
    Rm6600 with 4 sanus stands
    SUB(DIY)
    Dayton HPSA500, JVC Arsenal dvc 2ohm 12" wired to 4ohms in 1.5 cu ft sealed box
    extras... RT10's.rti4s.atrium 5's.

"sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"-Tyler Durden
  • bigcarpileup
    edited October 2009
    Here are the photos of the speakers (atleast one of them). This one has a tweeter that is pushed in! don't know if that can be fixed.

As far as the "overload" problem, the only time this happens is when the tweeters are connected. If I disconnect them, I can turn the volume to max with no problems...

polk_audio_speakers004.jpg
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited October 2009
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/specs/recent/rt3000p/
    It looks like the sub part is missing. You can try to pull the tweeter dome out with some tape.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited October 2009
    Those are the Rt55 original, not the i series. You can make jumpers out of speaker wire to replace the lost ones. Some say that actually works better than the original. Oh, and try a vacuum to pull out the crushed tweeter.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • bigcarpileup
    edited October 2009
    It looks like the sub part is missing.

Do you mean that slot on the bottom? Is that the subwoofer?
  • w_coyote
    w_coyote Posts: 66
    edited October 2009
    No he was thinking they were something else. There is no sub part with that speaker, you have 2 mids and a tweeter.
  • w_coyote
    w_coyote Posts: 66
    edited October 2009
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/recent/rt55i/ -this might help. The rt55 and the rt55i were almost the same. Some small changes were made but still pretty close. Didn't know I could post a link or I would have the first time.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited October 2009
    As you may have already figured out, biamping requires 2 seperate amps. You do not want to wire the highs to the speaker A output and the lows to speaker B on your amp. Use the jumpers to connect the high and low terminals on the speakers to each other and then connect your speaker A output from your amp or receiver to the low terminals on the speakers.

Bi-wiring is just running 2 sets of wires to the same terminal on the speakers from the same speaker output on the amp. The only reason to remove the jumpers would be to bi-amp, that is to connect one amp to drive the highs and another to drive the lows.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    edited October 2009
    Those are great speakers, and yes, they are the RT55, from the late 90's IIRC. The printed specifications are absolutely identical, in every way, to the link posted to the RT55i. Get some proper juice to those and you'll get some pretty stupendous results IMO (the Pioneer may already be good enough, depending on which model).

BTW, that tweeter has been pushed in, which will affect dispersion. It's a pretty bad push, by the looks of it. You might be able to minimize it by using a vacuum cleaner, and slowly, very carefully, bringing the tube closer and closer so that it starts to suck the dome out. Do NOT let it come into contact with the front of the speaker or it might just suck the whole dome off completely. You can use your fingers, in front of the tube, as you bring it closer, to avoid this risk.

If you're good with D.I.Y., you can even dismantle the tweeter, and push the dome carefully out from behind, using a cotton tip stick. There are also replacements available, but the are silk dome, AFIK, not tri-laminate, and do not have the silver colored finish.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Iā€™m trying to also figure out what model speaker I have they have red on the front grill they are heavy and the serial number on the back is ls17 rc 011161z75ua8vcrlz.jpeg
    ryo3qnsn3en7.jpeg
    fssgy7rsbsnn.jpeg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That sticker says LSi7 so guess what they are LSi7's

https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/795/index.html
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • FirstSetOfPolk
    FirstSetOfPolk Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    I'm a new owner of a set of Polk Audio speakers and a little confused about proper connections. No model number and all it says is see manual. Can anyone here please identify the model of "Powered Tower" speakers I have? n7s3j0celgzs.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    RT2000P
    s7o55q4lga89.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Same RT2000P speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jlwshmily
    jlwshmily Posts: 1
    edited October 2022
    Can you identify these? Behind the top screen is a single midrange driver and tweeter, behind the bottom screen is wood. They are passive speakers. pqz1g8n18gh4.jpeg
  • F1nut
    edited October 2022
    Says Polk Audio right there in front.

The top receiver smells like a Sony.

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    RT series. Looks like RT600i as they're passive. RT1000i were powered towers.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Mine was a hard guess of little more than knew they were RT.

šŸ˜šŸ˜