Carver AL-iii plus

Options
I know very little about these speakers, but a friend of a friend has a pair for sale. The price is low as far as I can tell. My room is rectangular 18X12.

My question is what are some requirements for these speakers? Are they difficult to drive? Are they difficult to place? Things I should look for during the demo.

I've had Polks for a while, but I'm tempted to try these out.

Any Carver fans out there? Help me if you can.

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Many years ago, I had AL-III's and the AL-III + that I did the Infinity woofer upgrades on. As I recall, bass was vastly improved with the Infinity upgrades. Great speakers! IIRC the OEM woofers had foam surrounds?? So check them out. The woofers are down firing at bottom of woofer cabinet with spacers then the base plate. A small inspection mirror would be helpful.

They are a dipole so you'll have rear reflections. Best to have them out 2-3 feet from rear wall. With dipoles you can enjoy the ambience or use treatments to absorb rear reflections. They like a large room. My living room is basically an open main level (like 16' x 40') with high ceilings (14').

Make sure no ribbon issues exist at low, mid and higher volumes. Like buzzing noises. They are demanding to drive, so you'll do best with a high current amp. What amp do you have to drive them?

Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Nothing but trouble, walk away.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• krazypolk
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nothing but trouble, walk away.

That settles it.

As an added bonus he also has some ok looking 2.3tl s. He said 400 or close enough offer. Would this be a better alternative.

As for amplification, nothing that would knock your socks off. Adcom triple 5.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    That would be a better option
    Get that Adcom refreshed and you’re rocking

Next year you can work on the 2.3 upgrades
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • krazypolk
    Options
    smy85s1stsin.jpg
    w5biux2b5gez.jpg

The carver guy provided these pictures. Are they worth his asking price or should I try and offer less? They look kinda dusty so he probably aint too attached to them I figure.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    Options
    $400?? And you don't have them yet??
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    If they were close to me I would buy them at that price.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • krazypolk
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    $400?? And you don't have them yet??

I been meaning to drive over, but the seller says that he'd prefer to wheel and deal on the weekend.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    edited September 2022
    Options
    His carvers.

b5ngkztwy50a.jpg

Maybe he should nt have them sweltering out in the hot sun.

He said he had a compatible amp for the carvers. Would this amp work with the polks?
    hghu4k1dgmcd.jpg

Post edited by krazypolk on
  • odcics2
    odcics2 Posts: 309
    Options
    My buddy drove his Carver speakers with a TFM-55x.

I’ve used my TFM-35x to drive Ohm Fs without any issues. 350 wpc into 4 ohms, if required.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    krazypolk wrote: »
    Would this amp work with the polks?
    hghu4k1dgmcd.jpg

It is a common ground amplifier, so yes. Maybe not the best choice of amplifiers (bright) but yes.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Polk 2.3tl for the win. The Carver speakers are like a fine Ferrari, they are pretty, will require an on call mechanic and will require exotic parts from far away places that will cost $$$ IF available.

I paid $800 for my 2.3tls and dropped $1000 in upgrades that I could do myself. Not one time have I regretted it.

Everyone I've ever known who had ANY of the Carver ribbons has had multiple problems with buzz.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Polk 2.3tl for the win. The Carver speakers are like a fine Ferrari, they are pretty, will require an on call mechanic and will require exotic parts from far away places that will cost $$$ IF available.
    Everyone I've ever known who had ANY of the Carver ribbons has had multiple problems with buzz.

I can confirm this, a friend of mine used to fix the buzz in the carver ribbons, he was always busy.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    His carvers.

b5ngkztwy50a.jpg

Maybe he should nt have them sweltering out in the hot sun.

He said he had a compatible amp for the carvers. Would this amp work with the polks?
    hghu4k1dgmcd.jpg

There are two versions of this amp, one common ground, and the other "inverting", or non-common ground. To tell the difference, look at the speaker binding posts on the back - If they are red-black-black-red, you have the common ground option (This option will also have a mono-stereo slider). If the posts are black-red-black-red, then it is the inverting model, and NOT common ground. Also, that amp is about 35 years old, and if it does not need service now, it will very shortly.

bsn6idodpx94.jpg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    Good call, Mark. I did not know they made 2 different models of the same amp. Thanks.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • krazypolk
    Options
    Thanks for the info @daddyjt. This is a pic of the back panel. According to the info it should be possible to use it with the polk 2.3s.

ehoolxu8yedd.jpg
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Thanks for the info @daddyjt. This is a pic of the back panel. According to the info it should be possible to use it with the polk 2.3s.

ehoolxu8yedd.jpg

Correct - that is a non-inverting (common ground) 1.0t. It also looks to be in very nice condition.

There is a guy in norther Michigan that does fantastic work on them - from a refresh service all the way up to some pretty impressive modifications. He is at https://nelionaudio.com/ He is good friends with Bob Carver, and is fully endorsed by Bob to work on Carver gear.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• krazypolk
    Options
    Thanks for the link. You sure know your carvers.

Hopefully I can seal the deal with these items.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    The Carvers are intriguing. The ALiii, IMO, is a worthy speaker. The 10” downfiring woofer will need to be refoamed for sure.

The ribbons are fantastic. A lot of people poo poo on them but Genesis back in the day, employed the Carver ribbon in their speakers…That said, these ribbons do not like humidity and they aren’t made anymore so repair is out if the question for all intents and purposes. …but if the speakers are in good nick, the sound is seductive. As far as price? I wouldn’t pay more than a few hundred for a pair (as the woofers will need surrounds)…
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2022
    Options
    As far as the amp goes.....my only gripe with the m1.0 was the loud pop when shutting it off.....but, it was/is a nice amp...but, regardless of how nice of shape, it’s pushing 40 years old and is due for service....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • daddyjt
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    As far as the amp goes.....my only gripe with the m1.0 was the loud pop when shutting it off.....but, it was/is a nice amp...but, regardless of how nice of shape, it’s pushing 40 years old and is due for service....

The turn on/off thump is fixed with any reputable service - it's a relatively easy fix...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• krazypolk
    Options
    Bad news all around.

I drove over to the seller's house where he informed me that the carvers had already been sold. No big deal to me because I eas having cold feet about them any how.

He plugged in the polks and began playing some of favorite tunes. He had not listened to them in over a decade and by the time the demo was over He could not push himself to sell them

WTF. I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Maybe offer more than $400? That price is a steal. Double wouldn't be out of line if the cosmetics are good. Likely the best vintage SDA ever made.
  • engie490
    Options
    I wouldn't try to figure out how much $$$ will dislodge the speakers from this guy's garage. I would stop playing games with him PERIOD.

First he says "I want to sell you speakers and some gear, but you have to wait for the weekend." Then you get there and he says, "I sold all of that stuff I was going to sell to you. And I'm not going to sell you these other speakers I offered to you because I forgot how good they are."

He may otherwise be a nice guy, but I wouldn't want to buy anything from him.

Just wait and keep an eye on CL and something will pop up. He's not the only game in town.
    Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts