Looking for Power Conditioner

Open to ideas ! Anyone that’s been here at least 5 years! Thanks
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    Don't do it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I’m looking to bring some power products into my system now. Been researching many along with power cables.

What type of budget you trying to stay within? This is where I have been struggling.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    TBT, this is akin to installing a governor on your Ferrari.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    edited September 2022
    treitz3 wrote: »
    TBT, this is akin to installing a governor on your Ferrari.

Tom

Not always true Tom. Sometimes yes. Other times no. Depends on equipment chosen.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • treitz3
    Well, I gotta agree with you there. My own experience has proven this.

With that said, this was for older gear and on an "unknown" electrical system (I.E. - a cabin or a system setup in a new place where the incoming electrical is an unknown as to what is upstream).

For a permanent residence, I would say that instead of getting a governor? Fix the upstream electrical to where you do not even need to bother with one.

HT systems are different - I am referring to a 2 channel system only. "K.I.S.S."

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    Governor is very debatable. Once again that is dependent on equipment chosen.
  • treitz3
    Agreed.

With that said, I recently learned from experience that even a $$$ power supply can have a "governor".

While I won't get into a debate about what is and what isn't the best/appropriate/proper place for a power conditioner? We can agree to agree on this one. It simply depends.

I have heard them make a considerably deficient difference on one rig. While at the same time? Same outlets, same strange cabin, different upstream gear? WOW! What a difference. It was night and day. Not subtle. At all.

This hobby is crazy at times.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited September 2022
    FWIW, we did find out the issue a year or two later that was upstream. This, after losing thousands of dollars worth of tubes at the cabins. We went to investigate the cause....

Apparently, the voltage fluctuated between 100 and 167 and while the power company denied, denied, denied and denied it again? We were able to prove it. A VERY long story short, there was a major step down transformer way down in the valley (miles and miles away) that failed or was not within spec. They replaced it by the time we showed up for the next years event and that year? I can't recall one tube blowing or any other issues.

When I spoke of this to the cabin folks, the maintenance guys who were perplexed at the situations we were facing stated that they had gone through a plethora of well pumps, jacuzzi's and fridges during the same time we were having issues with our audio gear.

As soon as they replaced the transformer miles down the road? No issues reported since.

So, when I say take a look at your upstream electrical? I mean it. Food for thought.

Tom
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    treitz3 wrote: »
    FWIW, we did find out the issue a year or two later that was upstream. This, after losing thousands of dollars worth of tubes at the cabins. We went to investigate the cause....

Apparently, the voltage fluctuated between 100 and 167 and while the power company denied, denied, denied and denied it again? We were able to prove it. A VERY long story short, there was a major step down transformer way down in the valley (miles and miles away) that failed or was not within spec. They replaced it by the time we showed up for the next years event and that year? I can't recall one tube blowing or any other issues.

When I spoke of this to the cabin folks, the maintenance guys who were perplexed at the situations we were facing stated that they had gone through a plethora of well pumps, jacuzzi's and fridges during the same time we were having issues with our audio gear.

As soon as they replaced the transformer miles down the road? No issues reported since.

So, when I say take a look at your upstream electrical? I mean it. Food for thought.

Tom

Our previous address, 5 1/2 years ago, near a lot of commercial customers.

Lost a microwave, three dryers (electronically controlled) and a new Pre/pro that the company repaired the digital PS twice for $hipping to name a few. An APC H15 has protected the low powered gear since.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,493
    FWIW,

I took advantage of the PS Audio trade in and bought a Stellar 3.
    It made everything better. I vacillate between plugging my
    two amps in to the unit or not. I think it is a win just for
    the source components.

p.s. my outlet is not grounded but has new copper back to the
    electrical panel.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    SIHAB wrote: »
    FWIW,
    electrical panel.

I've got to ask why? Why new copper back to the panel but not grounded ?

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Consider the source.
  • SIHAB
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    SIHAB wrote: »
    FWIW,
    electrical panel.

I've got to ask why? Why new copper back to the panel but not grounded ?

To clarify, the house was titled in 1899. I'm guessing the wiring was put in
    with the new electrical panel and furnace by the previous owner. One socket
    is grounded. The two others in the room were not.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Open to ideas ! Anyone that’s been here at least 5 years! Thanks

I use PS Audio products on everything except amps, which go straight to the wall. Shunyata products are another good choice.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have been very happy lately with Audioquest Niagara. Also have been using PS Audio conditioners for many years. I no longer recommend their AC regenerators. All three of their old models didn’t last beyond several years without major problems that degraded system performance.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    edited September 2022
    Have been extremely happy with my PS Audio regenerator (PerfectWave P3). Source components only. Tried the amp both ways and decided straight from the wall was better.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Audioquest Niagara 5000/7000 and Shunyata Everest 8000 worth a look.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    SIHAB, F1, & I are 3 peas in a pod.

All my amps & subs are switched on and off by Furman MP-20A relay devices, but electrically plugged into the wall.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited September 2022
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    SIHAB, F1, & I are 3 peas in a pod.

All my amps & subs are switched on and off by Furman MP-20A relay devices, but electrically plugged into the wall.

That Furman looks interesting. Wonder if there's enough room in the case to retrofit an IEC socket?
  • Thanks for sharing thoughts ! I wasn’t asking for them just the same thanks ! Ya never know who here might have one they aren’t using and want to sell ! That’s what I Should have said from the jump! I have the Niagara 1200 In my bedroom rig ! It’s nice ! My Marantz is being repaired and looking for something to plug it into and a tv and a DVD player ! Nothing yet but I’ll find something! Anyone???
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Someone here was creaming his pants over a brand I think called Road Runner. Otherwise, some good suggestions in this thread along with some precautions that depending on the type and brand, you don't want to put constraints on the sound. That said, I might be inclined to stay away from MOV based units.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Someone here was creaming his pants over a brand I think called Road Runner. Otherwise, some good suggestions in this thread along with some precautions that depending on the type and brand, you don't want to put constraints on the sound. That said, I might be inclined to stay away from MOV based units.

What is a mov based unit brother?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Metal oxide varistor: Fancy name for a poly switch or Thermistor

https://components101.com/articles/metal-oxide-varistor-mov-overview#
  • SIHAB
    Thanks for sharing thoughts ! I wasn’t asking for them just the same thanks ! Ya never know who here might have one they aren’t using and want to sell ! That’s what I Should have said from the jump! I have the Niagara 1200 In my bedroom rig ! It’s nice ! My Marantz is being repaired and looking for something to plug it into and a tv and a DVD player ! Nothing yet but I’ll find something! Anyone???

You're a funny guy THJ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfcy15ZUE2c
  • SIHAB wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing thoughts ! I wasn’t asking for them just the same thanks ! Ya never know who here might have one they aren’t using and want to sell ! That’s what I Should have said from the jump! I have the Niagara 1200 In my bedroom rig ! It’s nice ! My Marantz is being repaired and looking for something to plug it into and a tv and a DVD player ! Nothing yet but I’ll find something! Anyone???

You're a funny guy THJ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfcy15ZUE2c
    It’s not ez being me😂😂🎩
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Did you ever find anything?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    My bad, I got the name wrong.

Running Springs I believe was the correct name.

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/tested-running-springs-audio-dmitri-ac-power-conditioner-1/
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Wondering that myself.
    I have a PS Audio P1000 I no longer use that could be available.

What level of power conditioner are you looking for?
    This is not only a conditioner it's a regenerator.

Only thing is I ain't shipping this big-arse tank...

Skip
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I had a P1000 for years. In addition to being the heaviest component I've ever had, the heat sinks on that thing were as sharp as razor blades.