Got some new toys today

Options
13»

Comments

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    Now that you have found the problem go enjoy some good records.

Another reason why dedicated circuits are needed.

With that room being upstairs next to the attic do you have the ability to run a dedicated circuit?

Do I have the ability, probably? I haven’t really looked at it, sure it wouldn’t be cheap. The panel is in the basement and I don’t remember if there are any spares. I’ll have to take a look at it and get it priced out
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Glad you're sorted and can now enjoy the music! That RCA barrel thing makes me wonder if a wire connecting the ground lug to one of the RCA barrels would do anything.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • stangman67
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Glad you're sorted and can now enjoy the music! That RCA barrel thing makes me wonder if a wire connecting the ground lug to one of the RCA barrels would do anything.

Yea certainly is a good idea. I’ll keep that one tucked away in case something else happens in the future

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I was just going to pass on this fix posted at Hoffman forum. The claim is the RCA's are insulated from the RCA block. One of our forum members appears on page 2.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/how-i-finally-killed-my-hum-buzz-rfi-vpi-prime-scout.800981/

vdyehs9wcsoc.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • stangman67
    Options
    Very interesting, and good search skills! That reminds me of some car audio hacks I used back in the day. Figure 8 bare wire around the rca jacks always solved the ground loop hum. I was hesitant to do that with this setup because when I was using the temp ground wire I accidentally hit the rca and had a huge thump that caused my amp to go into protect. I’d be very wary of doing this on purpose. Although why the thump happened is beyond me with the signal level on a phono wire

• stangman67
    Options
    I’m also trying to figure out how the hell that guy puts the records on his turntable with the lack of clearance he has there

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stangman67
    edited September 2022
    Options
    LOL. End of the year is my goal. I have tons of half finished projects laying around. I do listen to them a lot as they sit though.

• newbie308
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Very interesting, and good search skills! That reminds me of some car audio hacks I used back in the day. Figure 8 bare wire around the rca jacks always solved the ground loop hum. I was hesitant to do that with this setup because when I was using the temp ground wire I accidentally hit the rca and had a huge thump that caused my amp to go into protect. I’d be very wary of doing this on purpose. Although why the thump happened is beyond me with the signal level on a phono wire

Just a guess, but that may have been a static discharge.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |