Rg11

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,970
edited September 2022 in 2 Channel Audio
Before I had a rg6, copper plated steel, 60 ft going to my modem/router in the back of the house then wirelessly connected to the living room.

Decided to run a 60 ft rg11, 14 awg solid copper, directly to the modem from outside to the living room...

So now it is a hard connection from the box to the lumin.

Will update on the result!

Ordered the rg11 from Belden, had it in two days!

wni7ke2vrd4q.jpg
i2x0pmx3ql4q.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
Post edited by VR3 on

Comments

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Isn't that cable RG11 coax?
  • VR3
    Yes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    I take it there's a step down to the lumin? I don't see you stuffing that monster 14g conductor directly into the coax port.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    Now my post looks stupid
  • VR3
    the RG11 plugs directly into the back of the modem.

Modem > router > lumin - no couplers or anything in between
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Interesting I would have thought the wire would be too large.
  • VR3
    Here's a cut away of some Chinese cables

b1m5auioa40f.jpeg
  • VR3
    So, initial listening tests, I do not hear any perceived difference between direct hard wire and the prior setup
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Do you use a CAT cable from the modem to the Lumin, or still wireless there?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    edited September 2022
    Everything is hard wired in the new setup versus half hardwired, half wireless last time.

The lumin has no wireless capabilities

Old setup

Hardwired to modem, Rg6 copper plated steel

Ethernet to main mesh router hub

Secondary Wireless mesh hub, about 50 ft, ethernet to lumin
  • jdjohn
    Gotcha. Have you ever tried an ethernet filter device for audio? I took a punt on an Network Acoustics eno ethernet filter, hand-made by a dude in the UK. https://www.networkacoustics.com/eno/ It's a passive device. He also recommends adding a switch (nothing expensive) just before the streamer as well.

I can't say it is a night-and-day difference...it's actually a little quieter, and requires more gain/volume...so I'm not really sure what to make of it. They tout that it makes the biggest difference with true high-res sources (like Qobuz, Tidal, or high-res NAS files). I use Spotify, and my FLAC/DSD files are stored directly on my Innuos Zen, so not sure I'm getting the expected benefit.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    I looked into those back when you posted about them and thought the price was just to much plus adding more components in the chain
  • jdjohn
    PM me if you'd like to give it a trial run. We might even get a 'tour' going if there was enough interest.
  • VR3
    So do you currently run this 24/7?

Interesting buildapwp1wcfwnoy.jpg
  • jdjohn
    Yep, I reckon that's it. But again, in my case, it only comes into play when streaming via Spotify. My local files are stored on my Innuos Zen's internal drive, so the ethernet cable is not involved.
  • VR3
    Makes sense! Have you compared Spotify to tidal, quobuz, etc
  • jdjohn
    I have not, but should probably give Qobuz a try since Spotify will not ****, or get off the pot on hi-res. Qobuz works natively with the Innuos streamers, so that's another plus. The thing is: I have most of my favorites ripped to FLAC from CD, or purchased/downloaded at a higher bit-rate from HD Tracks for local storage, so don't really need Qobuz. Plus, I've put some effort into developing my library on Spotify for things I don't actually own, and it's all portable via smartphone, SqueezeBox Touch, etc.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I seriously cannot believe it's been this long since their announcement. Mind boggling. What is taking them so long?

"In February 2021, Spotify announced their plans to introduce a HiFi subscription, to offer listening in high fidelity, lossless sound quality. The rollout for the HiFi tier is yet to be announced."
  • VR3
    I have no doubts if you email them about it they will tell you Covid is the blame.

defacto excuse for any delay the last 2 years or so