Polk RTi6 Dust Cap

The dust caps on my RTi6 speakers are old and have cracked. Are replacements available for these or even new drivers if I have to go that route? I should probably look into getting replacements for my 4's also since they're looking a bit brittle as well.

TIA,

Mike

Comments

• Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    I've been doing some research. Replacing the driver would cost me about 60 bucks. PE sells these dust caps which I think might work for 1.35 plus 8 bucks for a bottle of speaker cement.

I've never attempted a repair like this before, but it seems relatively easy and straight forward. If anyone has any input or experience, please chime in.

https://www.parts-express.com/2-1-2-Poly-Dust-Cap-260-382
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Those should work.

I would take a q tip and isopropyl alcohol and put around the perimeter to loosen the glue then gently take a knife to remove the old one
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Keiko
    VR3 wrote: »
    Those should work.

I would take a q tip and isopropyl alcohol and put around the perimeter to loosen the glue then gently take a knife to remove the old one

I removed one of the old ones and measured around the cone. The actual size of the cap is 1.75in. So those from PE are a little too big. I found these in the correct size, but they're made of polypropylene. The original caps are made of Butyl rubber, same as the surrounds. I'm thinking these should be OK, but trying to find some proper rubber caps before I commit. I contacted polk and it appears their only option would be is to replace the entire driver when all I need is the dust cap.

https://www.midwestspeakerrepair.com/shop/speaker-repair-kits/dust-caps/polypropylene-dust-caps/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited September 2022
    Put your grill on Mike and stop stressing it'll be fine.... B)

Getting them off is the hardest part putting them on is the easy part. put speaker flat on it's back, Glue, drop on walk away for 12hrs... easy peasy.
  • Keiko
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Put your grill on Mike and stop stressing it'll be fine.... B)

Getting them off is the hardest part putting them on is the easy part. put speaker flat on it's back, Glue, drop on walk away for 12hrs... easy peasy.

Hey there, Ivan. I just went ahead and bought a pair of poly caps from Midwest Speaker. 17 bucks & change vs 120.00+ to replace the drivers. The job appears to be pretty straight forward and simple, but leave it to me to botch it. BLAH! ;)

Weird that the rubber just disintegrated on these. Must be the salty air and humidity we have here.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Living in Paradise has it's drawbacks...... :D

I'd take a little salt corrosion occasionally to enjoy the great weather and beautiful scenery.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    heiney9 wrote: »

I'd take a little salt corrosion occasionally to enjoy the great weather and beautiful scenery.

H9

A little, huh?

Never been to Hawaii, have ya?

I had locals tell me the dirt is orange because it's not actually dirt but rusted old cars and patio furniture.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Keiko
    edited September 2022
    Jstas wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

H9

A little, huh?

Never been to Hawaii, have ya?

I had locals tell me the dirt is orange because it's not actually dirt but rusted old cars and patio furniture.

omb4aqwvufdc.jpg