I have an old Monitor 60 series II floorstanding tower that has a buzzing in the tweeter.

Options
Is there a repair? I've been using these for 10+ years. Theyve been great, i unscrewed the tweeter and verified that the buzzing sound is just coming out of the tweeter. You can see the image here. I switched left and right from receiver and bookshelf and it only happens to this one tower. fijzrhluabh9.png

Is there a simple fix, or can i just cut the line behind the tweeter so i can use my speakers without the buzz?

Answers

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Did any of the glue come loose around the perimeter? Usually when tweeters blow they just stop working
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    edited September 2022
    Options
    @VR3 would that be what they may be hearing ? If it's something else - Is there a way you can swap the tweeter from one cabinet to the other ? That way if it follows you will know that you need to just replace that bad tweeter ? Could this be a crossover issue ? One would think there are plenty of replacements on Ebay - or Simply Speaker - Parts Express or other speaker accs
    Randy/Maine
  • ajtyeh53
    Options
    @VR3 can you expound on glue coming out? I think not, Visually, i see nothing different from the others. after unscrewing it, it looks normal too.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Inspect it carefully and see if anything has come loose
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ajtyeh53
    Options
    @VR3 it does not appear that anything has come loose. Should i rescrew everything and try again?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Nope. Try @boston1450's advice. Swap the suspect tweeter from one cabinet to the other. If the sound follows, replace the tweeter.

If it remains at the same speaker, then either we need to look at your crossover caps in that speaker or upstream gear. To determine which, swap the L&R speakers or speaker cables. If the noise remains at the same speaker, it's the crossover within that speaker. If the sound doesn't follow, then it's something upstream.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~