Go get DIANA KRALL LIVE IN PARIS!!

Options
yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited May 2002 in Music & Movies
DTS soundtrack, wicked voice, piano, bass, orchestra...the Polks are loving it!!! Highly recommended!
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Thanks to some posts on the forum here, I've been introduced to some great music. Based on that, I got this DVD in from Netflix today, and I'm on my second turn of the disc... wow, she's something... DTS is great, with the rehearsals even recorded in Dolby D.

I'm real impressed with this DVD, it's going on my to-buy list. The stand-up bass is a great 'test' for the speakers, and it has a really natural feel to the whole recording. As I believe others have noted of the two, I've been a Denon+Polk owner for 8+ years, and this type of music just warms right up to this combination, in my opinion of course.

And to add a funny twist, my wife was playing golf the whole time, so we were both happy.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited April 2002
    Options
    went to CC at lunch the other day to try to pick this up. they didn't have it. :( i'll have to look online, or ughh, go to the mall to pick it up...

i was also introduced to krall via this site, i think it was micah raving about her that made me want to give here a listen. her voice is so intriguing, and the quality of the recording was superb. i've really only heard 'love scenes' so far, but i was very impressed. i'll probably end up owning all of her cd's eventually...

i can't wait to hear the DVD...:D
  • carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Superb!!! If you don't have any of her CD's, go get some.
    Danny
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I don't know about you, but the mall is a last resort for me... I got it here this morning for $21.72 shipped. Live in Paris
  • yoeddy
    yoeddy Posts: 140
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Ugggh! Fifteen bucks at Circuit City...:(. Even at the price you paid, it is still worth it!!!!

Diana Rules!
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited April 2002
    Options
    $14.99 at CC. Great recommendation - awesome musicality and great in DTS - like you're in the crowd. WOW
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I never heard her go, I'm always lokking for new music to listen to.Thanks guy's
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Options
    I picked up the Diana Krall - Live in Paris DVD this weekend. WOW. I knew it was going to be good. but I didn't ever think it was going to be that S'wonderful.

I listened to both DTS (my prefered) and DD. both has great musically. I do have to add that.. whomever mixed the DVD.. sure pumped up the bass in the mix. While watching the DVD, I actually had to turn OFF my sub. It was to much bass with the bi-wired RT800i's being driven with the Martantz mono blocks. Simply amazing sound quality.

Only thing I was disappointed in was that on the DVD they did not include "Peel me a grape". I really love that song.

Oh yeah, Diana Krall comes to my town in just 27 days!! Woo Hoo!:D
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • woodyjacobs
    woodyjacobs Posts: 706
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Hey guys, I am a big fan of older Jazz (Dixieland through Bebop), but this sounds really good...I avoid most new (elevator) jazz...do you guys promise this won't put me to sleep?
    system 1:
    Athena: AS-F1 mains, AS-C1 center, AS-B1 surrounds, AS-P400 sub, Yammie RXV-730, Rotel RB-976 driving front stage, Samsung BD3600 Blue Ray, Denon DVD2900 for sacd/cd , jbl n24awII on the deck, samsung 40" 1080p lcd

system 2:
    XBox 360 Spherex 5.1 system, HK DVD38, Phillips CDC 926 CD changer, Phillips 32" LCD

2 channel
    NAD 1600 pre, NAD 2400 THX amp, Phillips CDC 926, Linn extra speaks, crappy TT
  • danger boy
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by woodyjacobs
    Hey guys, I am a big fan of older Jazz (Dixieland through Bebop), but this sounds really good...I avoid most new (elevator) jazz...do you guys promise this won't put me to sleep?

I don't know about putting you to sleep or not. but I can add that her style and music is old crooner classics that you would typically here Sinatra, Crosby, and Tony Bennett sing. So if you like Dixieland through Bebob.. this may be a little to mellow for you. Maybe you can download one of her songs and see if it's for you or not. :cool:
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Saw Diana last night at The Meyerhoff (Baltimore Symphony Hall). Excellent 2 hour+ show, her (piano) and a small band: drum, bass, guitar. She's a total hottie, with a smoky great voice and wonderfully original (Nat King Cole-ish) styling. And she did a devastating "Cry Me A River." Ouch.

Of course, even tho I specifically asked when I got the tickets not to be in "the ADD section," it never fails that I get the retards who can't sit still next me. And nothing beats going to symphony hall with a hot babe to see a sexy singer... And being surrounded by flinching retards the whole time. No fooling: there literally was a busload of "special" people in my section, and it's impossible to relax when the guy next to you is sitting up, sitting back, making hand movements and grunting. I just can not go out in public. I can't take it. :mad:

Anyway, the show was great. I am very glad that I saw her close-up in a tiny club a couple of years ago, tho. If you get a chance to see her in an intimate setting, definitely change plans to go; it's totally worth it. She's really phenom. I'm going to have to check out the DVD.

Patricia Barber -- another incredible audiophile songstress you all should check out -- is coming to The Ram's Head in Annapolis at the end of this week... I don't know if I can go! Damn!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • danger boy
    edited April 2002
    Options
    Diana Krall comes to town in only 14 days! can't wait. but guess i'll have to.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2002
    Options
    in ten days I get to see and hear Diana Krall live. I'm so excited
  • danger boy
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Only three days and I get to see Diana Krall live in concert. Just found out it's sold out.... very few artists ever sell out in Spokane.

I'll keep you posted how great the concert is.:cool:
  • SPEAKER7
    SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
    edited May 2002
    Options
    danger boy.......

sorry to tell you that the Diana Krall concert in Spokane is cancelled...............................

Just kidding....have fun in three days!:lol:
  • danger boy
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by SPEAKER7
    danger boy.......

sorry to tell you that the Diana Krall concert in Spokane is cancelled...............................
    Just kidding....have fun in three days!:lol:

you are so NOT funny! :pissed:

good try. you can't psyche out Danger Boy. I'm able to leap over small dogs in a single bound!!:lol:
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Boys head over to the flea market, nascorman is trying to unload his copy of this.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • danger boy
    edited May 2002
    Options
    Well, the time has finally arrived. Live tonight only. Diana Krall in concert.

i've been waiting since Feb to see her.

more to come tomorrow.:)
  • danger boy
    edited May 2002
    Options
    well i've waited for months to see Diana, and it finally happend.

She came out wearing a simple yet elegant black dress.. she looked great in that along with her long blonde hair. Very nice.. she has great looking legs too. ha ha.

she played for about an hour and 40 minutes... without any breaks. her set was more jazzed up than what she plays on the Live in Paris DVD. I really liked that.

The songs that really worked that crowd up were The Look of Love, L O V E, and Cry Me a River. her encore was S'wonderful. that was the only song she did for the encore.

Diana has a special place in her heart for Spokane.. she has family here.. and her late music teacher was from here. Jimmy Rolls.

What a great evening it was. :D