The Audiophile Bug Is Biting…

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    If you’re playing at the McIntosh level, I strongly encourage you to contact AudioThesis and see if you can get your ears on some Norma gear. I don’t think you’d be disappointed.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll check it out.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    If you’re playing at the McIntosh level, I strongly encourage you to contact AudioThesis and see if you can get your ears on some Norma gear. I don’t think you’d be disappointed.

Agree. Norma gears are some of the really great stuff out there. I run monoblocks, preamp, cd/DAC- all Norman stuff into Sienas. They are like match made in heaven.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @tratliff didn't you make the jump from McIntosh to Norma?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I dated a girl named Norma. She lived in a Bungalow. She tried running me over with her car when I broke up with her. I'll never own anything named Norma or Bungalow. But hey! To each his own. Or her now that we have woman in our club...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited July 2022
    erniejade wrote: »

I did. Had McIntosh 601 monoblocks with C50 preamp. Now have a Norma Revo IPA-140. Couldn’t by happier. Still breaking in but out of the box was a significant improvement in SQ.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    tratliff wrote: »

I did. Had McIntosh 601 monoblocks with C50 preamp. Now have a Norma Revo IPA-140. Couldn’t by happier. Still breaking in but out of the box was a significant improvement in SQ.

Now the hard part of it all, update that signature on the forum LOL
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    [

Now the hard part of it all, update that signature on the forum LOL

Done....

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • jbreezy5
    Can any Norma fans give me an idea of house sound compared to Pass Labs?
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    Can any Norma fans give me an idea of house sound compared to Pass Labs?

Norma IPA-140 > Pass Labs INT-25
  • jbreezy5
    Any sonic descriptors?

• Clipdat
    I'll have to get back to you on that.

But I bought and still own the Norma. I sent the Pass back.
  • jbreezy5
    xqshov0na4bj.jpeg

Earlier this week I received an used ASHLY GQX-3102 EQ upgrade in the mail. This sucker weighs 15 lbs. due to the toroidal transformer.

Initial power-up led to concerns of possible inherent hum issue.

Shout out to @mhardy6647 whom quickly PM’d me some links to help me troubleshoot the problem. It seems to have simply been dirty power, as problem resolved with line purification in the mix.

I think this aesthetically “works” better with my silver gear, than the BSR EQ3000 did.

I’m somewhat overwhelmed by 31-bands of fine-tuning capability, but still prefer it.

Subjectively, the sound thus far seems a bit smoother, more refined, and “mature”, if you will.

The faders of my BSR EQ3000 had a very small amount of electronic noise, or static, in comparison.

• jbreezy5
    audioluvr wrote: »
    xqshov0na4bj.jpeg

Somewhere right now @F1nut is looking for rope. :'(

Yes, many (most?) audiophiles are anti-EQ. But I have experimented with the EQ engaged/disengaged, and completely absent from my system.

With EQ sounds unequivocally better, especially in a listening space as small and asymmetrical throughout as mine is.

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Hey I'm perfectly fine with whatever makes you happy. Just saying...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jbreezy5
    One added bonus forgot to mention, is all balanced connection from pre > EQ > amp now.

Honestly, can’t make a sonic claim, only that it should mean improved CMRR.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    audioluvr wrote: »
    xqshov0na4bj.jpeg

Somewhere right now @F1nut is looking for rope. :'(

Yes, many (most?) audiophiles are anti-EQ. But I have experimented with the EQ engaged/disengaged, and completely absent from my system.

With EQ sounds unequivocally better, especially in a listening space as small and asymmetrical throughout as mine is.

In the past I did use a coiple of higher end EQ's, It has been years since I have. I did find in a couple of my rental apartments or houses they worked pretty good for low volume listening to get more impact that I would only get at louder volumes without the EQ. At this point it's been years since a company came out with a stand alone EQ.
  • Clipdat
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    At this point it's been years since a company came out with a stand alone EQ.

No, Schiit recently released two of them:

https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius

https://www.schiit.com/products/loki-max

I tried the original Loki but felt that it had a deleterious effect on the audio quality, even when set to bypass mode.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2022
    Well I don't look at schitt :D
    I tried the original Loki but felt that it had a deleterious effect on the audio quality, even when set to bypass mode.

The preamp I used was a Carver C16, it actually had a processer loop that it was in the signal path if engaged and completely out if disengaged.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2022

Anyone heard either of these two pres?

Yes. BAT gear is awesome. Vicktor Khomenko of BAT called the 6H30 the super tube. "It had to do with its incredible electrical performance specifications. I usually say that one 6H30 tube is equal to four 6922's, hence the term." In other words, high gain, low impedance, high reliability and low noise.

6H30 tube gear is not for everyone. Some say the 6H30 is not tube sounding at all. Eventually I preferred the 6H30 tube sound over other tube and SS pre amps and went with an Audio Research Ref 3 pre. YMMV.

The 6922 will allow for tube rolling where the 6H30 does not have many choices (Sovtek and Electro Harmonix). If you can find them, big dollars for the NOS 6H30-DR military grade tubes but beware of fakes. In some gear you only get a subtle difference with the NOS 6H30 DR tubes.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Norma gear are some of the really great stuff out there. I run monoblocks, preamp, cd/DAC- all Norma stuff into Sienas. They are like match made in heaven.

Congrats! You’ve stepped-up your game to the next level!

. . . SWEET
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog wrote: »
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Norma gear are some of the really great stuff out there. I run monoblocks, preamp, cd/DAC- all Norma stuff into Sienas. They are like match made in heaven.

Congrats! You’ve stepped-up your game to the next level!

. . . SWEET

Thank you sir! I see you have PSA P10. One of a few things I would regret is selling it. It made a big difference in my system. It can help put out more detailed audio, especially if the speakers are revealing.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jbreezy5
    The Ares II arrived on 12/21, and that evening after a stressful day of work, hooked it up and played some discs (classical, rock, jazz) using a Denon DVD-1940ci as transport.

This is in my office system, and usually I’m happy to get out of that space after having been in it for 8+ hours, but that’s not what happened.

I really was hearing digital playback in a whole new way; music was presented with such ease, grace, and beauty I just listened for hours late into the evening [and this result through KEF Q300 speakers, which can be truthful (analytical) to a fault, at times].

I have listened to it daily since then, never tiring, never fatiguing. All the details are there within an expansive soundstage.

There really is something to this R2R DAC. It is very good.

More to come with some comparisons to what it replaced; will also put it in my main rig to hear how it competes against my Jolida TubeDac III.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Very cool. Always great to see and read about enjoyment in unexpectedly significant improvements in our system experiences. I love those nights when we're just sort of drawn in to losing track of time in those listening sessions: "...one more..." or, "I wonder what [track] sounds like..." experiencing favorites in richer ways.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    R2r is much better than delta sigma to me!

Congrats
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Implementation, design, gear and other aspects can play a big role between the two. This, to me, is akin to the debate between a Chevy and a Ford.

I know, I know, hear me out....

Both have different motors (DAC's). BUT, both have different drive trains, different torque convertors, different compression, weight, exhausts, length, payload capabilities, towing capabilities, body style and aerodynamics, packages, heavy duty parts, etc...

Each of these "supporting" components, as well as the gear associated with the final playback, (or in the case of a truck, the test of power, towing abilities, bed hauling load weight, etc...) all make a difference in what the "preferred" end result is.

Digital is an approximation. R2R does it direct. Sigma does it a different way. Much like a 4 banger with a turbo versus a big ol' V-8 with a thirsty carb. Both vehicles may make the finish line at the same exact time.....but the experiences getting to that finish line in the drivers seat are definitely different...

Even though the end result is the same.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~