Polk L200

13»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    Sounding pretty nice so far for having less than 10 hours on them!

Played this album today through them, sounding good!
    71-y+0YlrxL._SS500_.jpg
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    I see big booty bass in your future
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    cool album.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Sounding pretty nice so far for having less than 10 hours on them!

Played this album today through them, sounding good!
    71-y+0YlrxL._SS500_.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    @Tony M You should buy a pair of L200 or L600.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Update?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    I haven't been logging a lot of time on them because I've been using my other systems, but I plan to get back to them soon.

I have been playing some vinyl through them this week while I attempt to dial in the capacitance setting on my new iFi iPhono 3 BL phono preamp with my Ortofon OM-30 cartridge.

The manufacturer's cartridge specifications list a range of 200-500pF of capacitance. I first tried 300pf and noticed a tinny metallic sheen to the treble and a lot of sibilance. Then I reduced it to 200pf and tried the same six songs. There was a noticeable improvement in clarity and separation and the metallic treble was greatly reduced, as was the sibilance. It sounds pretty good.

Now I'm wondering if I should go down to 100pf and see how that sounds. It would be nice to completely eliminate the sibilance. I can always go back to 200pf if that sounds better.

@jdjohn @msg Any thoughts? Maybe I should try 400pf just for fun?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    We typically account for the phono cables to have ~150pF, which is then added to the phonostage setting for a total. So, I think either 100pF or 200pF on your iFi will be the best bet. Those settings should give you about 250pF or 350pF total, and then it comes down to personal preference.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Ok roger that. I'll try 100pf (lowest setting on the iFi) tonight and see how it sounds. Thanks!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    @Tony M You should buy a pair of L200 or L600.

I've thought about it.

I've heard so much about today's speaker technology trumping the old speakers that I caught the upgrading bug for a few days and then...my favorite Chess set selling Co. had a couple of chess Pieces sets and a discounted Coffer on sale too.

So I bought them instead. :p

I also just had a birthday that I could've used as a reason to get a pair, but I didn't.

I've been reading the reviews here and I'm a bass head and like what I'm reading about the L200s.
    I really don't need to buy the L600s since I have some great towers now. The Tritons and the BP30s. Or the Newform Researchs also. I listened to the Newforms a good bit the other afternoon and wow...do they image a HUGE great sounding soundstage.

Maybe one day the L200s will be here. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2022
    I would describe sound signature of the L200 as modern and high-res. The resolution of the tweeter is exceptional and it's presentation is honest and accurate. It does walk that fine tightrope-line of possibly edging into forward or bright characteristics, especially with some modern recordings. However, if you are feeding it quality content from a high quality source, it will simply show you what's there.

I describe the sound signature is modern because I feel that it leads with treble energy. However, that energy is appropriately balanced by a robust and clean bass response. Even though it's rear ported, and I have mine only a foot from the wall, there's no boominess, bloat, or overhang. There's also no 100-120hz-ish mid-bass bump like there was on the LSiM703. The frequencies are much more even and linear in this range on the L200. It descends surprisingly deep for a bookshelf-sized speaker. While it won't reach down into subwoofer territory, I bet in most rooms for most genres of music you would not be longing for a sub.

The midrange is exceptionally uncolored and flat. I personally prefer this presentation because I don't think the speaker should necessarily be adding it's own voicing and character to this region. Probably one of the reasons why I love the treated paper cone woofer on my PMC twenty.22 speakers. Along with that linear frequency response is a noticeable lack of any distortion or grain. Must be that turbine cone doing it's thing along with the inert and resonance free cabinet. The Polk engineers really nailed the midrange presentation!

Overall, listening to the L200 is like going from 720p to 1080p or turning up that sharpness dial just a bit. It's going to show you exactly what your upstream gear is capable of. The equal balance of treble and bass energy results in an attention-grabbing listening experience. It offers a high level of clarity and insight, letting you fully examine your music, but it does this without being clinical or tiring.

In summary, the L200 is a harmonious pairing of a revealing high-resolution tweeter, along with a 6.5" woofer that descends much lower than you'd expect. And while it's kicking out rhythmic taut bass, it maintains absolute neutrality in the crucial midrange frequencies so that male voices, piano, or a resonating acoustic guitar do not sound unnatural or colored.

It's a very enjoyable listen for all genres of music so I would be surprised if someone listened to these and didn't like what they heard.

(Disclaimer, my pair has upgraded crossovers and this is the only version of them that I've experienced.)
    Post edited by Clipdat on
  • Tony M
    Thank you, Drew.
  • Clipdat
    You're welcome! Like I said I've never heard them with their stock crossovers, so my perspective is a bit skewed.
  • Clipdat
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107L200WN/Polk-Audio-Legend-L200-Brown-Walnut.html

They're on sale right now for $1,200. Good buy. My refurb pair from A4L was $999 plus shipping.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,024
    edited August 2022
    ...The Polk engineers really nailed the midrange presentation!
    (Disclaimer, my pair has upgraded crossovers and this is the only version of them that I've experienced.)

Polk started doing midrange (very) right since the early 1970s.
    I am still, first and foremost, all about that midrange (just please don't tell Meghan what-was-her-name?). If a loudspeaker doesn't get the midrange right; why bother with anything else?

:)

• Tony M
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Don't forget about the treble ... :#:#:s

https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Clipdat
    I watched the entire thing.
  • Clipdat
    jdjohn wrote: »
    We typically account for the phono cables to have ~150pF, which is then added to the phonostage setting for a total. So, I think either 100pF or 200pF on your iFi will be the best bet. Those settings should give you about 250pF or 350pF total, and then it comes down to personal preference.

I listened again with the 100pf setting and I think this is probably the "best" setting for general listening on my setup, with my aging SL-1200mk2 and it's original RCA cables.

I didn't detect any sibilant sounds or metallic treble beyond what was likely already there in the original recording, and the tonality of other instruments and voices sounded accurate. It also seemed like there was a bit more "air" up top and that added a little more nuance. Lastly, the bass also seemed quicker and deeper.

I did enjoy the presentation and certain attributes of the 200pf setting as well, but I think the 100pf was a little more "true to the source", so I'll leave it set to that.

@msg Admittedly, I have not logged too much time yet with the iFi iPhono 3 BL, but I know for sure that you would like it. It's quite easy to hear that it has a very low noise floor - very clean and neutral. In a way, the presentation reminds me of digital. Not the negative aspects commonly associated with digital playback, but digital's overall cleanliness and high s/n ratio. It still of course has that analog vinyl flow and rhythm, but with a presentation that feels modern and pristine.

I know "clean" can be sometimes interpreted as a negative attribute, especially as you approach clinical, but this phono preamp seems to just be giving me what's there. It's obvious it would shine even brighter on nicer turntables & cartridges than what I have.

At $1k it's not cheap by any means, but it's also not very expensive as far as phono stages go!

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,511
    edited August 2022
    Audio Advisor just sent an email with a sale price of $1049.30
    Edit: When I went to their website, the price was $1004.33. Sounds like some of the TMR pricing strategy (down to the penny).
  • Clipdat
    L200 on sale on polkaudio.com:
    9srl1k9723f3.png

Kindof a hard sell vs R200 AE but hey.