RMDS-1 processor upgrade

Options
ntilden
ntilden Posts: 5
edited February 2005 in Troubleshooting
I have the RMDS-1 system. Can the processor be upgraded or replaced with the processor from the RM7200 in order to obtain DTS decoding? If so, does Polk offer this?
Post edited by ntilden on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Aren't these the same preamps (same look I should say). Assuming you connect the DB25 cable from the pre to the amp on the subwoofer, the preamp should work with both systems.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • ntilden
    edited February 2005
    Options
    The processor for the RM7200 has DTS decoding, the processor for the RMDS-1 does not. The processor is not really a preamp, since the amplification is done in the subwoofer, not the processor. With this in mind, I don't know if the DTS decoding is actually done by the processor, or in the subwoofer electronics section. If the DTS decoding is really done by something in the subwoofer, then simply switching my processor to the new version from the RM7200 is not going to accomplish what I want; namely DTS decoding. I really need someone from Polk who can answer the question of where the actual DTS decoding is performed. Thanks for your response though!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    First, BK answered your question...you can switch out the processor with the one offering DTS and should be fine...

I'll go step further...

The processor is a preamp, becuase the amplification takes place via the sub amp. Processor and preamp are the same thing.

The DTS decoding takes place in the processor, not in the subwoofer box.

Does that processor have 5.1 inputs? Most DVD players will do DTS through their 5.1 analog outputs, so you could always try that if your processor has 5.1 inputs and the DVDP will do DTS via the 5.1 outputs, saving you the cost of a new processor...
  • ntilden
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying the definition of the preamp.

The processor for the RMDS-1 does not have seperate 5.1 inputs, which is why I'm looking to upgrade the processor. The newer processor for the DS7200 includes DTS decoding and looks like it also has 5.1 inputs. Does anyone know if Polk sells the processor by itself? Thanks!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Call up customer service. ebay is also another option if you want to try used.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk