Flexible/Bendable Power Cords

Options
I know that a lot of the best power cords are as thick as garden hoses (and quite stiff), but I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for power cords that are more flexible, and still able to handle high current loads for, say, power amps. To further clarify, I'm talking about cords that go directly from the wall to the amp.

Thanks in advance for any input!
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Depends what you mean by bendable. My Shunyata power cords, while thick, are bendable enough for my rack and gear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    I have also found that some of the Shunyata cables that I have (Delta and Alpha series) are pretty flexible compared to other power cables I have owned: Pangea and PS Audio. Another cable depending on budget are Cullen cables. The Gold series and Crossover series are pretty flexible.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Supra lorad
    Duelund dca
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    PS Audio AC series are really great (at least until you get to the AC-13)
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    Supra lorad
    Duelund dca

Seconded; these are wonderful cables and won't break the bank either
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Pangea makes excellent power cables and they are flexible. I have (1) AC-9 MKII and (2) AC-14 MKII SE's and (1) AC-14. I have only installed the AC-14 in the office rig. The others are waiting to be installed in the main rig.

Audio Advisor has some demo units right now, for a little bit of savings. The new generation of cables uses Cardas copper.

Excellent bang for the buck and they concentrated on making them a bit more flexible than some of the other garden hoses out there.

H9

P.S. the demo units right now are excellently priced. Less than I paid a month ago or so.

P.S.S. I bought a demo AC-14 and it was like brand new.....
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    AC-14 is not flexible, imo.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    And the AC-9 can be used as a weapon.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    The duelund dca can do a hard 90 right of the connector side it is a simple 3 wire braids with no shielding etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I started with Pangea. After I tried an entry level Shunyata Venom cable I replaced all the Pangea cables. Also, the AC9 and AC14 cables I had 10 years ago were not flexible.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    AC-14 is not flexible, imo.

If you're trying to do a 90* or more bend, then no. The OP asked about being flexible. In my use the AC 14 is much more flexible than most. The AC 9 is less so for sure.

Had the Op stated he needed to bend it around 90* I wouldn't have recommended.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I started with Pangea. After I tried an entry level Shunyata Venom cable I replaced all the Pangea cables. Also, the AC9 and AC14 cables I had 10 years ago were not flexible.

10 years is a long time to improve a cable. They had at least 2 revisions and may be 3 in that time.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. My current go-to for the amp is a PS Audio Statement cord, which is about 7/8" thick, and needs almost 8" in order to make a 90-degree turn. I would not want to get whipped with it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    FWIW the sharpest bend you can get with a Pangea ac9 is 7". They are garden hosed sized cables that are miserable to work with and aren't even remotely close to being flexible.
  • heiney9
    Options
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Those do look nice, but I think I'm going to try the Supra LoRad since I already have Supra for speaker cable and RCA I/C.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Another vote for Cullen cables. Have a couple of them.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Probably old news here, but Cullen Cables 'migrated' to Wyred 4 Sound, although they seem to have lost their identity there (i.e., I don't see any products specifically labeled 'Cullen').

From the Cullen Cable website:
    "Effective immediately I will be merging the Cullen Cable Brand with Wyred 4 Sound. You will find all my current products migrated over to the Wyred 4 Sound site (www.wyred4sound.com )."
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Options
    Yeah if you’re gonna get the Pangea ac-9 you’ll need to go longer lengths. I’ve had both .5m and 1m cables and neither were flexible or easy to manipulate. I ended up needing 1.5m to plug my amp into my PC bc of the turn it needed. With one of the ac14’s I had to turn the inlet on my player up side down so it’d plug in, may have done it on my amp too. Moral of the story: Their longer cables are easier to work with👍
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo: