Is there a fix to see the subtitles on a Jack Ryan DVD?

We started watching this series from Netflix and the subtitles are only showing the tops of the letters or not showing anything at all. I've tried changing aspect ratio, etc. but nothing seems to correct it. We like the series but we are missing a lot of information.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Best Answer

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Answer ✓
    I think it's kind of funny that the adjustment allows an owner to adjust the subtitles all the way downward so they no longer appear on the image on a TV screen. That may be for those who use a projector and big screen I guess.

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    There are some channels I get on Dish that the station itself has cropped the image they send. It's very frustrating. Like you said there's nothing that helps.
  • Emlyn
    Is this the Amazon produced Jack Ryan series on a DVD rather than streaming or a movie on DVD?

If it's the Amazon series it should be in a standard 16:9 ratio. If it's zoomed in it may be a bootleg DVD version?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Also, your TV isn't zoomed, is it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    msg wrote: »
    Also, your TV isn't zoomed, is it?

he changed aspect ratios, SOO I think there are sending a zoomed in signal like Dish/ or original broadcaster does on my two channels. Nothing like seeing the top or bottom third of the station ID.
  • Emlyn
    On Amazon Prime the Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series has subtitles that display at the bottom of the screen and cross over into the black bar on a computer display.

I'm wondering if a DVD player has the option of having the subtitles display in a different location on screen than at the bottom? I haven't thought about that for a long time.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    It's the series on DVD. I've tried zooming in and out and other ratios. I have an Oppo 93 and don;t see anywhere to change subtitle location.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Emlyn
    edited August 2022
    I checked on my Oppo 203 and there is an option in the Options menu to shift the subtitles up and down on screen in a wide range. On the remote it's Options then Subtitle Adjustment and then Position. The menu is a little different looking on my 105D but the function is the same.

Sorry, no 93 model to check here.

Most of the subtitle complaints on Amazon for the series seem to be that there are so many of them embedded as part of the show itself to show foreign languages translated to English. So they may not be subtitles on the normal subtitle tracks on the DVD at all.
  • muncybob
    I'll check that out tonight.
  • Emlyn
    Although I still have good hearing sometimes I like to turn the subtitles on so I can catch everything that's said, especially when accents are heavy. Turns out the subtitle screen adjustment feature is pretty cool as the subtitles can be put closer to the middle of the screen so I don't have to read them all the way down at the bottom. Easier on the eyes. They can also be in different colors and sizes.
  • pitdogg2
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Although I still have good hearing sometimes I like to turn the subtitles on so I can catch everything that's said, especially when accents are heavy. Turns out the subtitle screen adjustment feature is pretty cool as the subtitles can be put closer to the middle of the screen so I don't have to read them all the way down at the bottom. Easier on the eyes. They can also be in different colors and sizes.

Interesting, I was unaware and I have a OPPO 205
  • muncybob
    Well whatdaya know! I found the setting and all is good. Owned the Oppo for many years now, never knew about this. Strange that this is the 1st time I've had this issue, certainly this is not the 1st DVD we've had with subs.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Although I still have good hearing sometimes I like to turn the subtitles on so I can catch everything that's said
    I've been doing this, too.

I disabled signatures.