Pioneer HPM 100 refurb...amazing

Options
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,105
    edited August 2022
    Options
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Had a pair of those briefly, then sold them. They are akin to, yet not as atrocious, as Heresys to my ears.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2022
    Options
    That rough and tumble sonic presentation testifies to the heritage of the JBL L-100 (also cut from similarly aggressive cloth). Bart Locanthi was involved in both lines of loudspeakers (JBL & Pioneer, that is), and the model number of the HPM-100 was, it is said (on the internet ;) ) a very deliberate name-check of the then hyper-popular L-100.

I will say that I was more favorably impressed with the slightly later HPM-1100s -- but they are... kind of huge. :|
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Looks like there’s room to squeeze in another driver. That’ll make it even better.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    At about 14yrs of age I thought they were the best speaker I ever heard.........At 14 they were the only speaker I had ever heard....
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,525
    Options
    The birth of an audiophile.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    There's a nice resto thread here at CP for the DCM timewindows. No video, but still quite the labor of love.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181707/dcm-time-window-overhaul/p1

In fairness: so, obviously, is the process documented in the YT video @steveinaz posted.
    My intent here was/is not to shoot the messenger. :|

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,521
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That rough and tumble sonic presentation testifies to the heritage of the JBL L-100 (also cut from similarly aggressive cloth). Bart Locanthi was involved in both lines of loudspeakers (JBL & Pioneer, that is), and the model number of the HPM-100 was, it is said (on the internet ;) ) a very deliberate name-check of the then hyper-popular L-100.

I will say that I was more favorably impressed with the slightly later HPM-1100s -- but they are... kind of huge. :|

Ha, I, at first glance of the thread title, loosely, and not completely register-edly, thought we were talking about JBL L-100s.

If I think hard enough, I could probably add more punctuation to the statement above.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,521
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In fairness: so, obviously, is the process documented in the YT video @steveinaz posted.
    My intent here was/is not to shoot the messenger. :|
    Yeah, why you gotta be shootin' Steve the Messenger? That's messed up, man.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,110
    Options
    It was a very nice restoration though.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,730
    Options
    Like a classic Porsche resto. Alot of time, elbow grease, and fiat to only Sunday drive them.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I like watching the restoration of any vintage audio; pretty cool.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    for more punctuation.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I like watching the restoration of any vintage audio; pretty cool.

I agree, although, like watching This Old House (or New Yankee Workshop), it just kind of makes me feel inadequate. :|
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    There were some popular speakers back in the day that were
    "Rock" speakers. I spent time with these back in the day, along with
    901's and jbl l100's. I had a set of l100's I compared to modern
    speakers. I dumped the l100's. Snell type E now were a different animal.
    Like a lot of other stuff, some lives up to the hype, some don't.
    Still, I guess I can admire someone's talent.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,531
    Options
    If one where to build a Pioneer throwback system
    this would be a good place to start...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,560
    Options
    Add a pioneer spec rack to the mix
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,635
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Add a pioneer spec rack to the mix

Or Project One