Speaker cable connectors?

ezc
ezc Posts: 426
edited May 2002 in Speakers
Any advice on speaker cable connectors? I currently have RT800i front mains, RT35i rears, & CS400. I am using Monster Z1 speaker cable with master pin ends using the flex tip connector's for all my speakers. What is the best termination at the speaker? Should I use spades, bananas, or thre flex tip? Is one type better than the other? Does one offer a better connection than another? I have LSi15's, LSiFX, & LSiC on order & I want to have the speaker cable ends ready when the speakers get here!
Post edited by ezc on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2002
    I think you can get more surface contact bare wiring to your terminals than with connectors in a straight-wire set-up. To Bi-wire (even on the same terminals) I prefer one set spade-banana and the other banana-spade. If you're thinking one or the other, look at both sets of terminals. Some have a plastic skirting around them that hangs down past the connection. In this case, I'd choose bananas. If you can get a good contact on both sides and both ends, use spades. I've even seen gold-plated lock washers.

On one set-up I use pins so I can swap speakers often. Some don't have 5-way posts. On my main system I bare wire.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Bare wire is always a good choice but not always the best one.Spades are nice but you really need to tighten the lug tight or they fall out.Pin's are really made for sprig clip input's not binding posts.Flex end is also made for spring clips.
    Bananas are my choice of all connections.They are easy to use, grip in tight,go into the receiver side easy,no tightening down of the lug,last a real long time.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • ezc
    ezc Posts: 426
    edited April 2002
    Thanks for the input. Ill order bananas for my ends!:)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited May 2002
    thats the spirit!!
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.