Suggestions for DAC Upgrade.

2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2022
    audioluvr wrote: »
    .... Now I never would have thought that my new audiophile USB cable would have been the culprit but sure as ship it was!

Glad to hear you got support and the problem resolved! I can understand how a connecting cable can cause an issue.

Over a few years ago, I built a dual mono DAC. I modded a Denon 3910 to output i2s (CD) and native DSD to my DAC. Since the serial bus interface is designed for inches and not three feet, I used Twisted Pear Teleporters to send and receive the raw signal. Teleporters allowed for up to a hundred feet (IIRC) of Cat5 communication with no signal degradation.

i2s (CD) worked fine, but the one meter standard store bought ethernet cable would not pass native DSD without drop outs between the Denon transport and DAC. I purchased some Blue Jeans Cable patch cords. Blue Jeans assembled and tested the cables with an expensive Fluke DTX-1800 test machine. I had no DSD drop outs using the Blue Jeans cables.

The Blue Jeans Cat5 cables were not very expensive. They said it's not just the wire used, it's the quality of connectors and crimp connections. Termination matters too.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,309
    So.....let me get this straight.....

Are you now identifying as Sue? Has Rob left the building?

Is there a specific pronoun you now prefer? :*

Okay, enough with the pulling of your leg and my shenanigan's.....was the supplied cable a different length than the one you had in there?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    Digital cables can absolutely create handshake issues between components
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Mine was 2.5 meters and the one supplied are 1.8 meters. Like I said, Cambridge Audio had me spoiled with automatic updates and best I can tell the DAC in the 851N was very nice when used as just a DAC but the X26 Pro gives that extra 10 % of clarity and soundstage I was looking for. Even with lowly 48kHz resolution from CD's and Tidal streaming. What do you call the goose bumps again?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,589
    That'll teach you to use generic Chinese USB cables off eBay of questionable quality. Geez what kind of **** numbnuts idiot moron **** lunatic would even suggest using a cable like that? Whoever that was, **** that guy.
  • audioluvr
    Right?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • audioluvr
    edited July 2022
    So I've had about a week with the Gustard X26 Pro so far and I have to say my system has never sounded this good! My girlfriend, who usually leaves the room when I play music, is now coming in and sitting next to me . I haven't decided yet if that's a good thing but she is now enjoying the system so there's that.

Music has now taken on a wonderful liveliness that is intoxicating and addicting. Though I had some issues initially I now have soldiered on . Some of the issues reported online I can address here such as running hot. After running in my system for over an hour this is what my pyrometer reads:

Gustard X26 - 100F
    Belles 21A - 96F
    B&K M200's - 115F

Seems quite normal for a quality audiophile component with two transformers. Low volume control is superb. I finally hooked up the Bluetooth antenna so I could test that out and was surprised when the display showed 96 kHz on a local radio station I wanted to stream via their website. So much for big bulky antennas on your roof. YouTube music sounded great but off my phone but if I tried to surf or turn off the display it would shut off. Not sure if there is a setting for that but nothing else had that issue.

As for whether I feel my purchase was worth it? For an item comparable in cost with what it replaced? Yes. Hell yes! As most of us here have learned through trial and error, equipment upgrades with positive results become less obvious as you add digits to the MSRP but sometimes a product will surprise you. The Gustard X26 Pro is one of these.

4eavu1sx6zt8.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    audioluvr wrote: »
    So I've had about a week with the Gustard X26 Pro so far and I have to say my system has never sounded this good! My girlfriend, who usually leaves the room when I play music, is now coming in and sitting next to me . I haven't decided yet if that's a good thing but she is now enjoying the system so there's that.

Music has now taken on a wonderful liveliness that is intoxicating and addicting. Though I had some issues initially I now have soldiered on . Some of the issues reported online I can address here such as running hot. After running in my system for over an hour this is what my pyrometer reads:

Gustard X26 - 100F
    Belles 21A - 96F
    B&K M200's - 115F

Seems quite normal for a quality audiophile component with two transformers. Low volume control is superb. I finally hooked up the Bluetooth antenna so I could test that out and was surprised when the display showed 96 kHz on a local radio station I wanted to stream via their website. So much for big bulky antennas on your roof. YouTube music sounded great but off my phone but if I tried to surf or turn off the display it would shut off. Not sure if there is a setting for that but nothing else had that issue.

As for whether I feel my purchase was worth it? For an item comparable in cost with what it replaced? Yes. Hell yes! As most of us here have learned through trial and error, equipment upgrades with positive results become less obvious as you add digits to the MSRP but sometimes a product will surprise you. The Gustard X26 Pro is one of these.

4eavu1sx6zt8.jpg

Let your buddy in to listen :'(
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • VR3
    Glad you are digging it and everything worked out!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    marvda1 wrote: »
    4eavu1sx6zt8.jpg

Let your buddy in to listen :'(

Good catch!
    She wants out. I let her out. She stares through the window. I let her back in.

She wants out. I let her out. She stares through the window. I let her back in.

She wants out. I let her out. She stares through the window. I let her back in....
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,511
    She wants you to be out, too!
  • VR3
    For the longest time, one of my dogs who is now 12, would escape anything. Fully locked kennels, 8 ft fences, whatever you threw his way, he would escape.

The only thing he liked more than escaping was wanting to get back in to whatever he escaped. Dogs are funny! 😅
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2022
    I'm happy that you're happy! Have you tried the different filters, Vivid, Gentle and Composite? If so, which do you prefer?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Glad the unit is working for you!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • audioluvr
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I'm happy that you're happy! Have you tried the different filters, Vivid, Gentle and Composite? If so, which do you prefer?

I did. My system isn't overly bright so Gentle just softened it too much. Composite wasn't bad but at least in my system Vivid sounded best.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    ^^^ ”In my system…” ^^^

Always the key words.

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • audioluvr
    Posted a review on their website. Maybe not @Clipdat quality but it works. :D

kvdsft50gmff.png
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC