26 = 26

Options
polrbehr
polrbehr Posts: 2,826
Wow, I just realized today marks 26 years that we've owned our home, closing date was 7/26/96. Time sure does go by whether you pay attention or not. So pay attention. ;)

Anyone else in their current place of residence for a long time?
So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,684
    Options
    Yeah, 17th year renting the same shithole apartment.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,244
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Been here in House 4.0 full time for 9 years as of a week or so ago; i.e., after we closed on the sale of House 3.2 in MA (after 22 years of faithful service and two fairly substantial tranches of work) and moved to NH for keeps.

Well, actually, I was sort of in a work release program from July 2013 to January 2014 when I really, truly, formally retired from RFT employment. I had retained a modest :p little dump pied-à-terre in the dismal lovely little hamlet of Ayer, MA and survived 'lived' there during the week, schlepping up to NH on Friday afternoons for the weekend. B)

9505289368_73d9be0f1d_b.jpg

Note that the hifi above (including the "stand") was resouced with 100% dump finds! I actually eventually ditched the Radio Shack MC-500 speakers and replaced them with a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5 series (5B? Series 2? I dunno... the ones with the slightly nasty tweeters), the Polks (tweeters notwithstanding) being much better than the R/S speakers.
    The Monitor 5s were not dump finds, but rather were kindly given to me by a good hifi buddy in MA.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,221
    Options
    congrats! Been here since 09 at my humble abode
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • newbie308
    newbie308 Posts: 690
    Options
    I wish... I'm working on year 2 in my current house, although the house itself is almost 300 years old. Starting over in life sans wife has it's +/-

At least now I don't have to justify my audio purchases to anyone.😆
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,057
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Been here since the spring of 86'.

36 years. almost 20 (or more) with no morgage. ;)

The amount of work I've done to this house and around this little 1/3 acre is probably the reason I'm still alive. :)

I forgot...I kept the 1/3 acre behind me like a small parkland for 25 years or so. Now it's fenced off by the recent buyer and he's turned it into a kids' playground.

BUT...The guy cut down 95% of the woodland back there. >:)

I've yet to experience a Hurricane without that protection. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,063
    Options
    34 years here in my old house which kept me poor and very busy for a good many years.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,533
    Options
    We have been at our house for about 9 years now. Love it just like the day we bought it.

Well, except when it's 98 degrees outside and you have to mow over an acre. It's not my favorite place when that happens.

The cow pasture behind us was allowed to turn into a forest, so the deer and other little critters are spotted way more often. Maybe not as much as Mark's place but I have no complaints.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Last house 24 years. 5 years in current house after I moved to Tennessee.
    May move back to Texas next year. Son is getting married
    and wife is expecting grandkids soon. I don't think she has
    shared that with my son yet....... he may have a
    different plan!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    We have been at our house for about 9 years now. Love it just like the day we bought it.

Well, except when it's 98 degrees outside and you have to mow over an acre. It's not my favorite place when that happens.

The cow pasture behind us was allowed to turn into a forest, so the deer and other little critters are spotted way more often. Maybe not as much as Mark's place but I have no complaints.

Tom

My yard work has steadily declined as the Temps have stayed 90 for weeks. I went out today for about 40 minutes and sprayed weed killer and sweated just walking around this 1/3 acre. It's Crazy HOT today.

When I bought this place, there was a large vegitable garden spanning 3 yards behind mine and the other 2 to the left of me. The man quit gardening and the weeds and saplings took over in about 2 years or longer.

Then the critters became plentiful. :# The Racoons were cool. B) The possums are kinda cool but...creapy looking too.

But it was the rodents. Big and small that needed thinning and eradicating. That's when I turned it into a beautiful park setting. Rarely saw a rodent since. I aquired a TORO rider and bushhoged the area except where one neighbor wanted to keep a wooded screen to grow up. The screen grew up well and is still there BUT it is thinner since the guy took a lot of it down. He was going to take it all down and that good neighbor told him to stop cutting down trees and thicket and get off his property.

At least there's some protection from the left side but it's behind the third property down the street.

This Park setting was bigger but encroched on me through the years. Maybe 15' on the back and left side. That's all.

ii05828uekq3.jpg

u7r1xj66xbx7.jpg

1v0dujzich03.jpg

Now...
    dpxb7oo7taph.jpg

pclhkvl8m16w.jpg

:s

9q4iozq7mlfv.jpg
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,479
    Options
    26 years here. I will will this place to my daughter when I'm dead and gone

wyk0q40pqz0s.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,538
    Options
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Been here 22 years. Only house my two kids have ever known. Been paid off for 8 or 9? Sweet deal not having any monthly payments . Only property taxes twice a year and helping two kids with their college expenses. Love yours. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,909
    Options
    Wow, I'm still in the baby making stage compared to you guys. 7 yrs at this house but 15 yrs in this neighborhood.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,372
    edited July 2022
    Options
    26 years this November.
    Good neighbors, have wildlife come around (racoons, ducks, hawks, rabbits, ....moles 😒), schools nearby, all good.👍l
    Sal Palooza
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,988
    Options
    It'll be 27 years on 7/30 for us. Keeping up the almost 9 acres is truly a part time job, but I enjoy it. Got the place paid off after 11 years, just popped the school tax check in the mail today. Kinda gripes me to pay that at my age. The system needs to be reworked.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    Options
    Waiting for my last city tax bill. Then never again.
    They are so disorganized they are a month late sending
    It. Same as last year. Sad if you can't even do that well.
    The woods in back are chock full of critters. I could live
    without the snakes. Been quiet this year, but 2 years ago
    they were everywhere. Had to work on sealing up the shed.
    Nothing like opening it up and seeing a snake condo going
    on.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    26 years this November.
    Good neighbors, have wildlife come around (racoons, ducks, hawks, rabbits, ....moles 😒), schools nearby, all good.👍l

Having good neighbors is such a blessing. Who can live next to an a-hole.? I couldn't. I've had it made here. One silent neighbor I had next door on the driveway side was the silent type. He was a Muslim and had strict rules for his girlfriend and her Daughter. Well, the guy kidnapped her Daughter AND sister and took them away. He was on the most wanted list for a week. They cornered him in Asheville NC. and he shot himself. The little girl and her mother's sister were unharmed during the kidnapping. The woman never returned to live next door anymore because of that guy's actions.

The next and last neighborly bad actor was a visitor to our new neighbor. We woke up to a Mercedes sports car of the very high-end type. Later that afternoon, our back neighbor calls us to tell us a raid is going to take place next door to us. Swat showed up, threw a concussion bomb through the front window, and then brought out a couple and put them on the ground and handcuffed them and then they all went away. A tow truck came and got the stollen carjacked sports car. What an afternoon that was! Swat parked their big truck in our yard. :D

F-moles. >:)

They tore up yards around here big-time 3 or 4 years ago. I researched and started using Grub-EX. The BEST known mole-connected preventer and BEST Grub killer. But it only kills Grub larva forming for the next year. It won't kill active adults. I don't think there is a home-owner-accessible adult grub killer on the market. :'( I think it was Michigan University that did the study of grub-killing products.
    Grub-EX had the best results big-time. Some supposed grub killers barely killed any.

Get rid of grubs, the moles don't hang around.

There's been a little activity this summer from moles, but a tunnel in the front yard (started at the street ) was only a foot or two. The tunnel in the backyard was the same thing.

I've got 2 neighbors to start using Grub-EX yearly now also. :)

This is the result this year from using Grub-EX last Spring. ( May/June, when June bugs appear on your screens);

y82x0y1exs7h.jpg

The yard looks even better than this since we just had 3-1/2" of rain the last 2 weeks. I also spread Milorganite pellets before the rain came.

Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Yeah, 17th year renting the same shithole apartment.

You're not alone.

My Father-in-law rented until he passed at 92.

Seriously, he didn't want to face maintenance costs.
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Here is the yard now. I just mowed it the other day. I do cut it at a high heigth now that summer is in full heating. :D Rain sure helps it grow fast.!

87220p4fwfu1.jpg

9hjjumh03ryx.jpg

1v2ujqc1gnkh.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Ours is mostly dormant.
    ... and the not dormant part is weeds. :)

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Options
    Been at my same Townhouse since 1998.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Been at my same Townhouse since 1998.

Townhomes were and still are kind-of solid investments if your going to stay in one place for years.

My father-in-law rented from a Townhome owner for 20 years or more in Toledo Ohio. It was when the Owner sold it and the new owner/s were going to raise the rent A LOT, did he move to another rental. One owned by his wife's Daughter and boyfriend. Oh, the new one was a ranch style freshly remodled. A lot more suited for an 80+ year old.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,332
    Options
    My wife and I bought our townhome in 2005, mainly because it was only 2 years old with one owner, it has plenty of room, and it was what we could afford at the time.

The good - low taxes, insurance, and no yard work. The bad - next door neighbors and high HOA fees. We have mostly been lucky with our next door neighbors, the only one that was an issue was a part-time stripper with 2 dogs and a cat, and some, apparently, ticked off "customers". One tried to set her Tundra on fire (that is not a euphemism, btw) and another spray painted an F-You on her tailgate (again, not a euphemism). She drove around with the tailgate down until she got it repainted.

The other bad thing is the stairs. I'll be 70 soon and my wife has a bad back. We may have to sell one day and find a ranch to rent for our remaining years.
  • BinKY188_5
    BinKY188_5 Posts: 128
    Options
    We've been in our house in the country for 24 years. Started with 1.5 acres and managed to buy the 8.5 acres next to us just last year so now we have 10 acres and a lot of wildlife.
  • muncybob
    Options
    We had a grub problem a few years ago. I won't use any chemicals near the house due to us being on a well. Purchased some beneficial nematodes. Kept the affected area wet for a few days, have not seen any grub action since then.

Speaking of neighbors( we really don't have any here)...when we lived "in town" our neighbors were fairly close. The ones on our driveway side seemed to be decent people and I thought we got along with them. One day the guy asks me what I would think of a fence put up between us along the drive way. I replied I would rather not feel boxed in but it's your property. A few weeks go by and I forget all about it, we left town on a day trip to visit parents. When we return there's a fence put up...we were gone only about 5 hours. I saw the guy the next day and asked when he would be putting up a fence on the other side of their yard between them and those neighbors. He replied he doesn't plan on that because "they don't bother us"........never spoke to them again.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Weird. Maybe the man and wife were jealous of you. ;) That's what I'm thinking.

I've been having different neighbor's over the years who don't even say hi when I'm 20 ft. away working in my yard. It's happened so much I don't even care anymore. I try to just ignore they exist in return but I still say hey once in a while. It's like they are doing something illegal and don't want anybody new to socialize with.

Maybe that's how younger people are raised now.

At least I don't get complaints from them after playing some loud music out in the cottage.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Try texting them, people just don't talk any more :(
  • Tony M
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yea, you're so right.

My Stepdaughter came and stayed for 2 days. Her face and hands were 95% concentrated on that flat little tablet phone. I think she was talking, excuse me, communicating to people on that thing instead of us for most of her time here.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,372
    Options
    One tried to set her Tundra on fire

😃👍🤗😘🥰
    (that is not a euphemism, btw)

Wait....WHAT !
    🤔😯😒🥺😥

Well Jimbo, thanks for ruining a potentially good fantasy....😨😰

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Ooooh! My Tundra is on fire for you, baby!

:#