26 = 26

Options
2»

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,321
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    My wife and I bought our townhome in 2005, mainly because it was only 2 years old with one owner, it has plenty of room, and it was what we could afford at the time.

The good - low taxes, insurance, and no yard work. The bad - next door neighbors and high HOA fees. We have mostly been lucky with our next door neighbors, the only one that was an issue was a part-time stripper with 2 dogs and a cat, and some, apparently, ticked off "customers". One tried to set her Tundra on fire (that is not a euphemism, btw) and another spray painted an F-You on her tailgate (again, not a euphemism). She drove around with the tailgate down until she got it repainted.

The other bad thing is the stairs. I'll be 70 soon and my wife has a bad back. We may have to sell one day and find a ranch to rent for our remaining years.

I have been lucky with my townhouse. I cannot hear my neighbors and unless I really have it kicked up, they cannot hear me. There is a good amount of cement between ours for sound and fire. One example, 2 townhouses up caught fire. My neighbors place was fine outside of the smell for a bit. As far as when I can retire, I already have that taken care of. We have a condo in Panama City Beach that is 1st floor and 0 stairs. I figured when I retire I don't want to deal with snow or stairs!
    The HOA in the Florida place is a bit higher ( 280 a month) but, it includes water, pool, gym, and garbage so, I don't feel it's that bad.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,290
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I am impressed with our son & daughter-in-law's townhouse in the NoVA 'burbs of DC. Built ca. 2003.
    It's reasonably well constructed, with an interesting floor plan :p -- very spacious -- and very well isolated from neighbors' sound. Impressively so. We lived in an early 1950s rowhouse in north Baltimore when we were first married. Real plaster walls and concrete firestops between houses -- but boy howdy we could hear the neighbors (at least on one side).

aufkw6szl8c5.jpg

Their majesties, Felix & Cassie, seem satisfied with it, too, fortunately. :)

p7rf78e30j08.jpg

Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,485
    Options
    Bought our current house Aug 29th 1994. Wife, then fiance, was 23, me 22. I had graduated college 5 months earlier, wife had been working full time and socking away money. We vowed not to waste money playing the renting game. Bought before we were really ready, but couldn't pass up the deal. First couple of years were definitely a struggle, but we made it work.

Had numerous door to door types ask me if my dad was home only to sheepishly walk away when I informed them they were talking to the owner. We definitely didn't fit the demographic for the neighborhood.