Suggestions for DAC Upgrade.

Options
So I'm kicking around the idea of moving on from my CA 851N and just going with a dedicated DAC since I don't really use it for streaming other than the occasional radio listening. It has to have USB inputs, a remote with volume control and be as good or better than what I have now for sound quality. Budget is <$1,000 preferably.

Currently looking at used Benchmark DAC2's. Not wanting something too old.

Any suggestions?
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,061
    Options
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I vote keep what you have. It meets all of the requirements in your OP, but has a little extra.

Better to have too much than not enough (i.e. features).

Nice piece of kit too!

…Unless you’re just itching for something different.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    I picked up a Benchmark DAC1 at a thrift store for a price that I feel guilty about. It sounds so nice. I am sure that there are more capable DACs feature wise now but I don't think I can afford any that can best the sound of the Benchmark.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I also vote for find a Benchmark DAC at a thrift store for a price you'll feel guilty about.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • guyincognito
    guyincognito Posts: 128
    Options
    I have a Benchmark DAC 2 HGC and it really is a stellar piece of kit. Got mine used a few years ago for $900.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,452
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I had some things in the works to hopefully move up the audio chain a bit but life happens. Still, I plan to get there. Been looking at $500-$1000 DAC's myself but how the hell do you listen to all of these DAC's? The differences in one's own system is the only way to know which will work and if the higher cost units are worth it.

Anyway, Interesting info here on some of the hot DAC's available.

ARES II vs D90 vs Bifrost 2 vs ADI-2 vs Gungnir vs Qutest
    https://youtu.be/sCP63G8MYOI

ghic0mzsci6o.jpg
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dac-journey-with-happy-results.1076879/
    DAC journey with "happy results"*

Hope that got your attention....LOL

Anyway so rewind several years back to when I decide I want to explore affordable external DACS to see if I can beat my OPPO 105's performance.

Here's my journey in a nutshell......

1. Benchmark DAC2HGC

Bought used for around $2K

Beat my OPPO convincingly and life was good.

Then bought an OPPO 205 for 4K viewing and, after a playoff, I decided the Benchmark was just a little bit short of the mark re SQ "bang for buck" so off it went.

2. Gieseler Klein DACIII (with Kraftwerk PSU)

Lived happily with my OPPO 205 for a while and read a lot about Gieseler Audio on SNA

A used Klein DAC III popped up there for just under $1K so I gave it a go.

Nice smooth sound that beat my OPPO.

Did the job well until..........

3. Denafrips ARES II

OK so I'm sure everyone here has heard about this little R2R unit that gets a lot of praise.

As I live only about 10 mins away from DACMAN (Aust Dealer) I thought "why not"?

Played with it for a few weeks but regardless of OS/NOS and Filter settings I just couldn't get it to sound pleasing to me.

Returned it with no fuss (thanks Stav)

4. Topping D90 MQA

ASR were all over this so couldn't resist trying such a well measuring DAC sporting an even higher spec AKM chip (AK4499) than the Gieseler.

First thing that hit me was detail........serious detail with a super low noise floor.

Presentation maybe a bit thin but still very impressive.

Preferred it to the Gieseler (which I also still have)

5. Gustard X16 MQA

Also measured very well on ASR but offered a couple of extra features that interested me

As it was pretty cheap I took a punt thinking I could just move one of my others on to offset the cost anyway.

After just a few weeks It was sounding decent but of course Gustard decided to screw me by then releasing an updated X26PRO!!!!

After reading a review on it and checking out specs and pics I once again was seduced........

The X16 was moved on via a wanted ad on SNA and the new owner is a happy man.

6. Gustard X26PRO MQA

OK so the review on this thing is a great read...........The One to Beat: Gustard X26 PRO DAC Review

Here's where I bought it (was delivered by DHL in a week over Easter with no GST or import fees)

GUSTARD X26 PRO MQA Full Decoding ES9038Pro*2 Chip DSD512 Bluetooth 5.0 XMOS XU216 High Performance Audio Decoder

So it rocked up on Wednesday this week.

My usual plan of attack is to let a DAC run in for a few days, then some light listening followed by playoffs and critical listening with a couple of friends.

Have approached all previous DAC's this way as a tried and true method of confirming exactly what's going on.

Anyway...........after literally the first note I thought WTF is going on here???!!!

The soundstage was suddenly a LOT bigger but detail was all still there and body was back.

Everything sounded so clearly better to me that I just removed the Topping D90 from the system and stored it next to my Klein III.

This DAC resides at higher price point ($2K) than all the other Chinese ones I had and this was instantly reflected in SQ and build ( 7KG's!!!)

I have to tell you this is the best my system (ATC SCM70 ASL's with ATC CA2MK2 pre) has ever sounded and once again (for now....LOL)..........

LIFE IS GOOD

If you are in the market and have $2K to spend then I heartily recommend reading the outstanding comprehensive review on this unit.

All the above is just my 2c about what worked and didn't work for me in my system.

Of course YMMV and TBH IMHO and IME all the above DACs perform well and offer great value for money.

Cheers,
    John

Gustard X26PRO MQA - $1499
    https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Full-Balanced-ES9038PRO-Synthesizer-Silver/dp/B08X4LC4G4?th=1
    https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/gustard-x26-pro-full-decoding-es9038pro-2-chip-dsd512-bluetooth-5-0-xoms-xu216-high-performance-audio-decoder
    https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/gustard-x26pro-review-balanced-high-end-dac.24699/

7m2rplw4xvzt.jpeg

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »

That looks like a nice unit!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • rooftop59
    Options
    @WLDock you find good deals on used units and try them in your system. If you buy carefully you will at most lose shipping…

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,522
    Options
    There was a relatively recent test of an Audionote kit in The Absolute Sound. Not sure of the issue (will look it up later). Quite favorable review, but out of the OP’s range.
  • VR3
    Options
    I love my 5.1, I would consider it one of the best on the market. The 4.1 is equally impressive
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    Options

This would be an awesome upgrade if it weren't for the 10-20 hours of assembly required, no remote, no power switch on the faceplate and only one input.
    rooftop59 wrote: »

This doesn't seem like a lateral or upgrade move to me.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• VR3
    Options
    Dare I say, small obstacles
  • rooftop59
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »

This would be an awesome upgrade if it weren't for the 10-20 hours of assembly required, no remote, no power switch on the faceplate and only one input.

This doesn't seem like a lateral or upgrade move to me.

I owned your Cambridge. It’s definitely an upgrade. More refined sound, linear, much better control of the bass. An excellent DAC…
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • VR3
    Options
    I'm confused, why not just keep the Cambridge and add a bad **** dac like the ank?

Seems like you are simply spinning your wheels
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Pulled the trigger on the Gustard X26 pro. They're on sale right now!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,617
    Options
    I hope it tickles your fancy.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    I will let you know. ;)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    Options

Expecting a full report. 😉
    Seriously interested in your experience
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Will do.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• WLDock
    Options

I'm very interested in your feedback on this unit!

@WLDock you find good deals on used units and try them in your system. If you buy carefully you will at most lose shipping…

That's the only way I can afford just about anything, LOL! Seriously, most of my gear and several furniture, etc. pieces in my home were purchased used. Given that many go through DAC's with the seasons, finding good used deals is the plan.
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Some tech moves at a snails pace but some is outdated in a few years. Cell phones, computers, TV's and DAC's. Should not be bought used unless that's all your budget allows (IMHO). That's where I start my review. More to come. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    edited July 2022
    Options
    So just a heads up. The unit arrived Wednesday which was 7 days after ordering it. An impressive feat in today's chaos for an item from China.

The item was boxed well and appeared undamaged. Included a remote, power and 1.5 m USB cable, an antenna for something and a credit card looking warranty card. No manual or any documentation of any kind which I thought was odd.

1ndshzfa3mfh.jpg

Build fit and finish appeared very good and
    I'd prepared a space in my rack by removing the Cambridge Audio 851N so after unboxing I quickly installed it in my system. Since I've been working long hours at work I didn't have much time to demo but I hooked it up to my laptop with a USB cable and pressed play on a track via Tidal. It played for about 10 seconds then went silent. Okay WTF just happened...

Then I noticed this:

ciny92k0ypck.jpg

Well time for bed. Maybe tomorrow I can figure out what is going on.

Next morning I emailed Shenzhen, the dealership that I purchased it through regarding my concerns and went on their website to do some sleuthing. After looking around for a while I found a link to Windows driver downloads. AHA! Maybe that is why it won't work! Cambridge Audio spoiled me by having automatic updates and no driver downloads etc.

After work I downloaded the driver for the X26 Pro and printed out the owners manual (I still like having hard copies). Excited to see what my new purchase was going to sound like I fired everything up and pressed play again on a Tidal track. YES ! It's working! About 2 minutes into the song and silence. Again! WTF! Send a couple more nasty emails to Shenzhen and one to Gustard before I had to go to bed.

Today I got into troubleshooting mode and thought maybe it was my laptop so I borrowed my girlfriends laptop (which is new) and IT PLAYS MUSIC! Then I downloaded Tidal on her laptop to see if it would work fine. Nope. YouTube music works fine but it apparently is not compatible with what Tidal has to offer.

This is a major issue because if it doesn't work for Tidal or older computer sound cards, what else is it not compatible with? Also, I have still not received any reply from Shenzhen or Gustard which seriously bothers me. Sure they offer a 30 day guarantee but if you don't get a return authorization from them, ever, with no address somewhere in China for return or exchange what do you do? Chalk it up to a learning experience? Where's that banging your head on a brick wall emoji?

Yes, I probably need to get a new computer but Tidal is my main streaming service.

Now, as for the sound, since I had to use YouTube which I'm not sure how that compares to Tidal Masters, sounded awesome! Details were off the charts and imaging was the best I've ever heard out of my system from what little time I got to spend on it.

More to come...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• rooftop59
    Options
    Does it have tidal connect built in? Is it hard wired to the internet?
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,003
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the issue your having. Hopefully the playback quirk gets resolved quickly. The concern I would have is their lack of a response to you about the issue. Fingers crossed they respond quickly.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,527
    Options
    Sorry to hear about this.

I used to get paid to fix these kind of problems.
    I hate these kind of problems. :/

Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2022
    Options
    At ASR, Sue Domin reports same issue July 8 with no responses. R u the boy named Sue? Lol

I was surprised to see they implemented dual mono config with three custom output filters. The ESS Sabre 9038 Pro has eight filters built in. They are all available in my DIY Twisted Pear 9038 Pro DAC. All sound different. Sadly, I could never make Arduino control work so I have to use dipswitches to change them.

Word is they do a good job with their unconventional approach. Hoping you are able to get this resolved.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • audioluvr
    Options
    Finally got a response from Gustard sometime late last night. Gave me some suggestions to try including changing USB ports on my computer (I have 4) and using the supplied USB cable. Now I never would have thought that my new audiophile USB cable would have been the culprit but sure as ship it was! It must have been causing a clocking issue or something. SO... I don't need a new computer. Yet. Spending some time with it this morning then I'm going to swap in the CA 851N for comparison.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• audioluvr
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    At ASR, Sue Domin reports same issue July 8 with no responses. R u the boy named Sue? Lol

Yep. Just thought since that site had like a thousand comments on it that someone could help. Of course the only comment I got was someone talking about firmware updates. I have no idea how to not only find what version I have but how to actually do an update. The manual tells me nothing.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC