Which JBL L100 Century grills do you like?

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited June 2022 in Music & Movies
My L100 Century speakers my old friend gave me are OK now. I failed at replacing the surround since it seemed a smaller size but some of the blame lies with me too I believe. I thought the voice coil was silent when I glued the outer rim. It felt free but not spongy like all the rest I've ever done. I think the spider is dried to the point of not functioning properly anymore.

OK. I replaced the woofers. They sound GREAT. Seriously.

For the grills. I don't want to pay 250.00 for OEM super thick foam cubed inserts. :#

I have the wood frames. I just need inserts.
pbe0aygaf343.jpg

kvkjtzwz6asy.jpg

I saw a video where a guy wrapped the wood frame in cloth too. :# I won't be doing that. I like the look of the wooden grill frame.

I can build inserts with 1/4" plywood wrapped in black cloth pretty easily. Cost...0.00. :)

I can also afford 150.00 to 200.00 for NICE cubed inserts w/JBL badges since I only have 40.00 into these now.

I'm still frugal of course. :p

I'm glad I did a little research into this one sellers grills that are 80.00 plus 10+ shipping. I saw where a few people didn't like the quality of his thin cubed grills and sent them back.

So it's the med. to plus thickness from "theJBLfoamfactory" seller for me. 150.00+15.00 shipping.

I like the sound of these a lot so I'm keeping them for sure.

I know Doc Hardy would pass these along as fast as he could but my hearing says they sound pretty darn good.

Would you go the "free" route and build some flat "black or ??? hey, I could spend 10.00 at JoAnn Crafts on any color cloth that looks like sound would pass through, wait, I have some "white" cloth in the back room too.

I'm going out right now to look at that white cloth. That would look great against this Walnut.

I might put the "cubed" look on hold for now and go FREE on anymore cost.

Thanks for listening. :p
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• Tony M
    Yea, I'm going with this cloth.

It's not white like I thought. More of a tan. Nice, somewhat open thin weave too.

sstkc32rziv0.jpg

ckh34q9wm7l2.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited June 2022
    Blue foam.

rqdev3rllhat.png

(internet photo of "aftermarket" replacements -- the true blue was a bit less bold)
  • Tony M
    This netting was a pain to remove and clean up. :s

pw8byt4rj87n.jpg

5qw79y2petfj.jpg

1thijzfja65d.jpg

aq1eqa9k8wra.jpg

Going to remove this other netting on the other one too.
    fvd2v1bbygis.jpg

• Tony M
    I forgot to mention I can see the foam was brown.

rhws99qw0o2l.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Bet those will look nice when you get done Tony!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Tony M
    edited June 2022
    Thanks. ;)

I also had "fun" refurbishing my "road find" AR 4x's in the summer (July) 2019.

6pmvvbutsjfy.jpg

llrhwehiawxt.jpg

2f3k8ul20sin.jpg

• Tony M
    edited June 2022
    Cut some grill panels to glue the tan cloth to. Friction fit. I like how they turned out. Again, removing these old screens was a pain. But they're cleaned up 95% now.

tolff00dtjho.jpg

t6zbw206wg9x.jpg

81lbcbpbztyf.jpg

hmzgdkshji1f.jpg

hdccumjb9l3d.jpg

zam89821z386.jpg

tc95w23huibs.jpg

13gdndvrnzjj.jpg

4rjyjystdhvm.jpg

lius35cn9xyf.jpg

89q03wzvor05.jpg

mnry52rjbgn9.jpg

l5meh7clct21.jpg

sygyigmk6i6t.jpg

864my66frp57.jpg

t8f0hd0dar45.jpg

ia0pvecpbpgv.jpg

xplqm1tkmtep.jpg

Now for the tan cloth... :#
  • Tony M
    Decided to paint the grill frame front AND painted the insert fronts black also.

I saw another picture of a grill with light cloth and a white panel behind it just like mine. If I had "white woofers" still in the cabinets, maybe it wood be ok.

I wanted it all blacked out behind the cloth now. The midrange bezel is silver and might be able to be seen, maybe not. I can always paint the bezel black too.

I have to iron the cloth before gluing it.

I think I'll make 2 more grill frame inserts so I can mount the cubed foam grills to them. Then I can swap them out if I buy the cubed grills in the far future. ;)

dqzdtdghkbj4.jpg

a71ms2crsdq3.jpg

k0kr2jmqj21d.jpg

lqdbbqnyj3ee.jpg

y0z2k54lg8qm.jpg

• Tony M
    I put new cloth on 4 grills today.

Tan on the JBLs and Black on a set of ADS L800's I swapped the cross-over in one of them a year or more ago. I had re-clothed one grill of the ADS's but didn't like it. I took it off today and now I have an acceptable set of grills for these ADS gems.

I plan on using some Velcro fasteners on both sets of grills.

I still have to trim the excess cloth on the backs of all 4 grills and try to flatten the corners back there too..

I just might finish the 4 grills tonight. :)

The ADS grills have been on my mind for a year or more. After seeing I could use surround repair glue for the adhesive, It was time to try it out. The glue worked GREAT. ;)

• Tony M
    I have to agree. ;)

And I can't see the midrange's silver flange either.

They look like some KLHs and Advents from that era that I've owned.

That old pr. of AR4x's had that white/tan linen cloth that some bug/s liked the taste of, too.

They look almost new now. I'm thinking of swapping out the binding posts in the next few days. I forgot about that project. I have some new posts in the back room. These original posts are made for 16ga or maybe 14ga MAX wire I think. It's tough to wire these now too.

I listened to Gordon Lightfoot's greatest hits today. Listened for over an hour to that magical sound coming from the front wall and a couple of times from the sides too. I'm using an adcom 555II for the power and I think they are a great match.

They sound as good as they look even though the woofers aren't original. These woofers are still breaking in too. They've been sitting for years. They're beefy and sound ALMOST as good as the originals. B)

I spent a few hours finishing the ADS grills today and tonight. I found the soft Velcro strips from the old grill cloths next to the grill Tags. That was nice.
    I'll put the refinished grill tags in their place and stick the grills on and listen to them again. It's been a while. :p

gilqo0drr2mn.jpg

p2c8j2wfu3i7.jpg

lwgz3pb38lk6.jpg

xbrrpje5vw9n.jpg

uge6utik547t.jpg

pgbqczeustfr.jpg

Before... :#
    yzl7g9v961l8.jpg

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice work!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Tony M
    Thanks. ;)