2022 Tacoma speakers SUCK...help

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited June 2022 in Car Audio & Electronics
Been on this forum 21 years, this is my first post in this sub-forum! Alright fellas, got a new Tacoma Double Cab SR5, and the 1 note bass speakers suck. Good replacement ideas?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Crutchfield has a great fitment guide. I would start there to determine your sizes etc
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    How crazy you want to get. I have a 21 tundra that suffered the same fate. If you just want to replace the speakers, I recommend replacing the 6x9 with adapters with Audiofrog G60S, fairly pricey but they sound excellent. I went a bit further and did a HU, 2 10" arc subs and the G60S with audison speaker/sub amps. I have a good background in car audio so can definitely help you out with whatever goal you want to achieve
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Polk audio? I replace all my factory junk speakers with them. I used to prefer Boston Acoustic but I think the Polk stuff sounds better.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    @steveinaz so much you can do. Find yourself a good dealer and get his help in your research.

This can be another rabbit hole.

I have had a number of Tacomas. Many with custom built systems. It’s up to you to decide how far to take it.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • steveinaz
    Thanks fellas
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2022
    I decided on the Kicker CS series, replacing all 6 drivers. I have all the hardware coming first, then I'll do the dash tweeters first. The 6x9 triaxes and rear door 6.5 coaxs last. Pretty pumped, these stock speakers really suck. The cost is only about $320 for everything.

After the 4th Colorado trip I have my Diamondback SE bed cover coming!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Do report back what you think after install. I was going to mention that Kicker was the ones I read up on on TacomaWorld forum for a cheap uograde replacement. I have not done my speaker upgrade. I oped out on rear speakers & rear seats on my Access Cab tacoma. The stock speakers svck bad. I have owned truck for 2 years & every time I get out of truck My body feels like I just got beat up 10 midgets on steroids. So I haven't done much, but turn the key & drive it.
    Randy/Maine
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2022
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Do report back what you think after install. I was going to mention that Kicker was the ones I read up on on TacomaWorld forum for a cheap uograde replacement. I have not done my speaker upgrade. I oped out on rear speakers & rear seats on my Access Cab tacoma. The stock speakers svck bad. I have owned truck for 2 years & every time I get out of truck My body feels like I just got beat up 10 midgets on steroids. So I haven't done much, but turn the key & drive it.

I'll be doing the install today (dash tweeters at least), hopefully having time to do all 6 drivers if they get here early enough. I have the 6x9's right now, and the build quality is definitely nice. Suppose to get the brackets/tweets/and 6.5" backseat coax's today.

pcrbhhpel8c9.jpg

h0h1sit3ufy6.jpg

• boston1450
    Very nice. I'm probably going to same as you. Do those tweeter panels pop up easy ? I went out & bought these plastic pry tools to do install. Hopefully they will work. I did research project when I got truck. Watched YouTube videos galore. Been too busy working .... I've heard those Kicker upgrades are much better than the 1 ounces junkToyota speakers they use. I hope you enjoy them as well .
    Randy/Maine
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2022
    The toughest part of the tweeter install is the very limited space between the dash and windshield. Getting the oem tweeter unplugged is a bit challenging. The panels pop up fairly easily, just go easy at it. You'll need a 10mm wrench to get at the bolts close to the windshield. I'm installing the 6x9's and 6.5" today.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited June 2022
    Looks like the same as my Prius? I replaced the 2 inch cone tweeter with A 3 and a half inch midrange tweeter coax... Huge improvement

I used the pin tool from a kwikset smart key lock set to remove the grill, no damage to dash and and a standard socket for the bolts
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2022
    Got the front 6x9 CS Series Kicker Triax's in. Sound GREAT. I couldn't do the rear Coax's because they sent the wrong adapter harnesses. I am really pleased so far. My 2022 Tacoma has 2 different connection harnesses for front/rear---how dumb. The factory Head unit (Pioneer, NICE) plays flac files from usb stick---BONUS! I'll get the rears put in on 8 July, after our return from Colorado; the correct harnesses for the rear will be in by then.
  • steveinaz
    edited June 2022
    Here's the 6.5" rear speaks:

vodzpb69hprw.jpg
    9xh4d2zvnir8.jpg

Here's the dash tweeters:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PV6F8I2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• boston1450
    Thank you kindly for info. Sure helps me.. I can imagine that sounds much much better than stock. Not sure why they couldn't have put something a little better. My daughter has a 2018 Corolla & her speakers sound great compared to Tacomas.
    As you know. There are TONS of upgrades for the Tacoma line. All about $$$
    Randy/Maine
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    ^^^This^^^

Even more shameful, call Toyota and ask what they would charge to replace them with new. 😬
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The stock speakers are shameful. I've seen a.m. radio speakers that were better built. The front 6x9's are a paper cone/whizzer affair, with a "magnet" that's about the size and thickness of a quarter. I should have posted a pic, but I was eager to destroy them....LOL

Probably similar to the MIM crap that came out of my Hyundai Sante Fe. I was literally beyond shocked. The entire speakers weighed maybe an ounce each.

2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Keiko
    Keiko Posts: 764
    steveinaz wrote: »
    boston1450 wrote: »

I'll be doing the install today (dash tweeters at least), hopefully having time to do all 6 drivers if they get here early enough. I have the 6x9's right now, and the build quality is definitely nice. Suppose to get the brackets/tweets/and 6.5" backseat coax's today.

pcrbhhpel8c9.jpg

h0h1sit3ufy6.jpg

Always preferred 6x9s for car audio. Two in the front, two in the rear. Done! Clean & simple.

• boston1450
    @steveinaz How is the system doing months later ? I'm going to be doing the same as you did. Not sure if I'm going to hire it out (I'm too rough) afraid I'll destroy/scratch the plastic. I never did the Access Cab as it didn't have any rear speakers. But I may do the 4dr I just got
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    tclbeq9qpv9j.jpg@steveinaz I saw pictures of yours somewhere on forum. Is it gray ? Have you . had any issues that would help me keep eye on. I serviced & did the 60,000 mile & got to know every inch of the silver one pictured. 3yr+ old 70,000 miles & they gave me 20,000 on trade in off the trd sport. I'm ordering accs now. So I'm excited. Big difference in truck. Im not doing the lift kit on this 4dr though. Getting to old to fix things
    Randy/Maine
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2023
    Sorry for the late response. Mine is an SR5 V6 double cab (2WD) Magnetic Gray. Love the Kicker speaker package, it's really pitiful, the oem speakers they put in the Tacoma.
  • boston1450
    Thank Steve. I'm going to get someone to install them asap. I did research on the JBL speakers & from what I got their not as good. I can bring volume up to 40-50 & can barely here it. Mine is 4×4 & I'm not sure but I may end up doing the trd lift kit at dealership. They change out the grill & adjust sensor/camera. About 3 grand tho. Haven't decided if I wanna dump 5-10,000 dollars on this truck. I did get the 100,000 mile warranty & if I get everything done there. They will cover it under warranty. So far big plus over my SR. Getting excellent gas mileage on highway. Not as good intown
    Randy/Maine