Let talk about the Vinyl on the Reserve Series

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
Ok,
I know I'm asking a lot of questions about this line but I noticed a line on the back of each model in the pictures. It looks like the vinyl wrap has a seam right down the back of each speaker. How does this look in person? Can someone post pic's of theirs and the line on the back?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    I believe a seam of some kind on a cabinet with rounded corners thru out would be expectation? From the pics I saw in google search, the seam looked well done?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    hcrlfod2tsri.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    I don't have a TT any longer, been years since I had one in the rig. But, I bet Vinyl sounds great on the Reserve series.

H9

:p
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Dan, how much time do you spend looking at the back of your speakers? I know, you're just being thorough, which I can appreciate, before you make a possible purchase. It' hard sometimes to buy sight/touch unseen. I'm glad some of the cost savings went into the cabinet finish vs. performance.

At this point you seem to be overly concerned about the look as much as the performance. If that's truly the case (nothing wrong with that) just pop for the Legend series. That should alleviate doubts about the perfect "real" wood veneer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited June 2022
    I took a flash light to the back of my black R200's and I don't see a visible seam at all. I'd be curious who you heard this from. I don't see a seam on the photo above nor on my black R200's. So we know for sure the bookies don't

Could maybe be on the floor standers?

Hope that helps

H9
  • VR3
    You can see the seam here

zk52zinhmnli.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited June 2022
    Not at full res but blowed up real good ;) -- one of my R200s (same photo used for another vinyl question). It happens to be handy (i.e., uploaded to Flikr).

oo2974dz1c5y.png

• heiney9
    Trey, my eyes don't see it in the photo and I don't detect it on my R200's. IMO, they did a good job making it almost unnoticeable.

H9
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Under normal bright artificial room lighting the line at the join on the back of the black version is only noticeable if looking hard for it and tilting the cabinet back and forth. I agree the manufacturer did a good job on the finish work but there is a line there. It is hard to see it.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    You could always refinish the cabinets in a real wood veneer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited June 2022
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Under normal bright artificial room lighting the line at the join on the back of the black version is only noticeable if looking hard for it and tilting the cabinet back and forth. I agree the manufacturer did a good job on the finish work but there is a line there. It is hard to see it.

'Polk worked the black seam together' .... to the melody of Sting's 'We work the the black seam' LOL!
    9f3e5h7vzt4g.jpg
    scojo7hpvnsu.jpg
    They did a great job for vinyl wrap....that can't be filled and sanded like wood laminate.

mantis wrote: »
    Ok,
    I know I'm asking a lot of questions about this line....
    Oh! you took it there with this one, LOL. Its vinyl, its the back, and will never be seen in 99% of the systems out there.

IMO, I don't see how you will be content unless you can get a set of Reserves and Monitor Audio side by side in your room to compare.... just my outside observations given this post.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mantis
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Dan, how much time do you spend looking at the back of your speakers? I know, you're just being thorough, which I can appreciate, before you make a possible purchase. It' hard sometimes to buy sight/touch unseen. I'm glad some of the cost savings went into the cabinet finish vs. performance.

At this point you seem to be overly concerned about the look as much as the performance. If that's truly the case (nothing wrong with that) just pop for the Legend series. That should alleviate doubts about the perfect "real" wood veneer.

H9

I was checking them out and yes the finish on those are way better. But they don't have a wall mount R350 like speaker which is what I'm interested in.
    Building a system with Floor Standing speakers , this time I want to move away from that thinking. I've done that all my life and wanna try some other way like all on walls or Bookshelf speakers with the R350's are surrounds and center etc.
    Dan
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    In-walls is the way to go. After years of trying to cobble together my AB800's, I am looking to upgrade them with the new Legend-based in-walls if they come available.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    In-walls is the way to go. After years of trying to cobble together my AB800's, I am looking to upgrade them with the new Legend-based in-walls if they come available.
    In walls are cool but I prefer On wall speakers
    Dan