Any kind audiophile able to help me understand and select speakers for our multizone system?

Options
PVLife
PVLife Posts: 1
edited June 2022 in Speakers
Hello. We are trying to build a budget-friendly multi-zone sound system and could use some help. I have had Polk in the past and, as a creature of habit, would like to stay with Polk. Although we will have someone run the wiring, because of where we live, we will need to buy all the equipment. We purchased (waitlist) an 8-source/8-zone amplifier that we want to make sure we outfit appropriately. odci3b21hvit.jpg

We have already acquired or think we need: 1set of Polk Atriums for the roof and 1set for the garden, 1 RC6s for the kitchen, 2 MC60 for the primary bedroom, 1 subwoofer (don't know yet what model), 1 MC60 for the center, and 1 set of RC60i or RC80i for front and 1set for rear.

So here are my questions so far:
1. What is the actual diff b/w MC60 and RC6S?
2. Will the RC6s in the kitchen take up all 4 speaker wire connections or does it only use one R and one L? I confess to not totally understanding how the zone thing works so I am not sure if we lose the opportunity to put another speaker with the kitchen zone (e.g. a bathroom).
3. Is it ok to have center and front speakers in-ceiling over head and not in-wall facing seating?
4. Does this system make sense?

I thank you in advance for your help!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Without the use of additional amplification your Dayton Audio DAX88 8-Source 8-Zone Distributed Audio Matrix Amplifier is actually a 6 zone item.

1. No idea
    2. There are L and R positive/negative connections on each speaker, so it appears each speaker will take one zone.
    3. Not in my world.
    4. Not in my world.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Let me add to what F1nut said
    You only have the ability to run 6 pairs of speakers. That means 1 pair of speakers for each zone. Let me answer your questions. As said above , you would need 4 more channels of amps to power zone 7 and zone 8.

1- The MC60 is a single speaker and the RC6 is a Dual Tweeter Left and Right Stereo speaker. So the RC6 can go into a small bathroom or small room, be placed correctly and you will get both left and right sound meaning stereo. You will use a full zone to use the RC6. The MC60 you need 2 of them to make a stereo pair. That also requires a full zone to power them.

2- The RC6 takes 2 sets of wires Left + and - and Right + and -.

3- Yes it is. I have done countless surround systems with all in-ceiling speakers. BUT they must be placed correctly and calibrated. If you don't , they don't sound right. You can not power them with your multi zone system. You would require a surround receiver.

4- I think you sound over your head, who is running the wiring for you? Is it a Audio Video installer? Or a general contractor - Electrician? You should hire a Professional Audio video Installed IF you feel overwhelmed doing this yourself or have no understanding of how Multi Zone and home theater setups work. It's not plug and play.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.