Finally……

I have been in the workforce for 43 years. I’m currently a letter carrier. I have been at this for going on 28 years. Our work schedule is Sunday off,and the a rotating day. Example: week one,off Sunday,Monday. Week two,Sunday,Tuesday….. So,every 6 weeks,we get Friday,Saturday, Sunday. ( our work week starts on Saturday) Our delivery routes are decided by “bidding”,which goes by seniority. Someone retires, and that route goes up for “bid”. There are only a handful of Monday through Friday routes in my city, I believe under 8. There are approximately 400 routes in Rochester. I actually bid on one of those routes,and won the bid. This will be the first time in my work life,that I have not had to work the weekend. This will be my third weekend off,and I still can’t believe I don’t have to get up and work on Saturday! This may not be a big deal to many folks, however, try to figure out how many events that someone can miss because of working on Saturday’s for 43 years? Thanks for listening, and I’m going to go out for a motorcycle ride tomorrow morning (Saturday). At least before the rain moves in.

Ray
See my profile for list of gear.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Enjoy your weekends!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Congratulations. I could live without Saturday mail delivery since all I get now are bills, but I guess others can’t.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Congrats. I was usually off on Saturday for most of the first 23 years of my career, but I usually works Saturday now (though sometimes only for a few hours). It’s a pretty big deal to have the weekend off IMO.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited May 2022
    Congrats, I worked for 13 years every Monday thru Saturday early in my career so I know how you feel.

You miss a lot working Saturdays as far as family activities when you have kids, I know I did.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I used to travel and install large phone systems.
    That meant a lot of weekends out of town working.
    Also did remote support, a lot of all night sessions.
    Now I'm retired.
    Rochester Mn or NY?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    I used to travel and install large phone systems.
    That meant a lot of weekends out of town working.
    Also did remote support, a lot of all night sessions.
    Now I'm retired.
    Rochester Mn or NY?

NY. Years ago I was a technical rep for an office furniture manufacturer. A ton of traveling,and a large amount of installations had to be done on the weekends. I feel your pain.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Congratulations, Ray! Making the decision to have weekends off when I owned my own business was one of the best decisions I ever made. Now, I work for a company and one of my conditions of accepting the position was that I do not work weekends. Prior to that, Saturday's and Sunday's were just like any other work day for me.

I completely understand.....and it is a big deal.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Congrats on the winning bid. Must feel great. Could you explain what exactly happens in the bidding process. What are you bidding with?
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    I used to live in the Rochester area. Moved away 30 years ago.
    I'll be up there this summer so the wife can visit her brothers.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    @TEAforONE
    Very happy for you! Have a content weekend.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TEAforONE
    Willow wrote: »
    Congrats on the winning bid. Must feel great. Could you explain what exactly happens in the bidding process. What are you bidding with?

Every employee has an employee number. When routes become vacant,ie; someone retires or “bids to another route,said route gets posted on our employee website. You look thru the postings,and if you want that particular route, you put your number in on that “bid”. The employee with the highest seniority is given that route. There are about 450 carrriers, I’m 36th in seniority. A lot of senior carriers don’t like the hassle of changing routes. I’m one of them! However,the availability of M-F was worth the stress of learning a new route. I hope that explains the process a little better.
  • TEAforONE
    Thanks for all the positive comments. Now, it’s an 18 month sprint to the finish line!
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    What a way for you to get to the end. Even though I'm not American, thank you for getting everyone their mail.