troubleshoot no output to speakers PSW350

31y67sacygqf.jpg
I bought a used PSW350 and found out that if I hook up the RCA to the line in, I have nothing coming out of the speaker level output. It works if I go to the level speaker input and run the wires from the level output. but to use the filter line in with RCA cables I have no speaker output. The subwoofer works but doesnt send signal to output via line in. I took the back cover off and it looks like something melted near the line in rca port. my question is, how do I repair this? I have a voltmeter and a basic understanding but since I am a novice how do I trace the problem? I am running the SW from an old Fisher receiver with RCA left and right speaker ports. Thanks

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    The speaker outputs will only function if speaker level inputs are given as an input. The RCA jacks are simply coated with a sealant material. From your description the sub seems to be working correctly.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    sclarke523 wrote: »
    31y67sacygqf.jpg
    I bought a used PSW350 and found out that if I hook up the RCA to the line in, I have nothing coming out of the speaker level output. It works if I go to the level speaker input and run the wires from the level output. but to use the filter line in with RCA cables I have no speaker output. The subwoofer works but doesnt send signal to output via line in. I took the back cover off and it looks like something melted near the line in rca port. my question is, how do I repair this? I have a voltmeter and a basic understanding but since I am a novice how do I trace the problem? I am running the SW from an old Fisher receiver with RCA left and right speaker ports. Thanks

Ken’s got it on this one as usual! The crossover or high pass filter should work on both inputs, but the speaker line outputs are full range no matter what…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • sclarke523
    sclarke523 Posts: 10
    Thank you for your comments. I should have provided more information. I am a complete noob. I understand basics and that is all. So if I interpret this correctly, the rca line in is simply for bass? I understood that you would use the rca line in as a line level input of sorts. so I thought that the SW would "filter" the bass and send the signal to the speaker outputs. I guess that is not the case. anyway I figured a way around it that works. I took a y splitter and attached the two males to the R and L jacks on the stereo. Then a ran an rca cable from the y splitter to the speaker wire inputs. I cut the end of the rca wire and hooked up R and L (+,-). then ran the speaker line out to speakers. it is kinda redneck but much louder than before. is this a bad idea or is there a better way to do it? just a small, fun project: 2 Boston bookcase (BS6??) and some bose mini cubes??? Thank you again for the replies
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Which "R and L jacks on the stereo" are you referring to? What are they labelled?
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    edited May 2022
    The manual (attached) describes the 3 ways you can connect the subwoofer to a receiver.

The first uses speaker level connections. The speaker level in and out on the back of the PSW350 are tied together internally and the subwoofer taps into those to feed a small portion of the voltage to it's amplifier. You wire from the receivers speaker outputs to the subwoofer and then from the subwoofer to the speakers. On the PSW450 there is an option to engage a high-pass filter between the in and out so the speakers don't see the low frequency outputs they can't reproduce but the PSW350 doesn't have that option.

The other two ways to connect use line level signals. Either as right and left which the amp combines and filters via the controls on the rear or a single LFE (Low Frequency Effects) input which is typically filtered by the source. This allows you to connect to the the L & R line outputs on an older stereo receiver like the outputs for a tape recorder or external amp or the subwoofer output on a newer home theater receiver.

None of the line level inputs are connected to the speaker level outputs.

et56zgah1iro.jpeg

• sclarke523
    Which "R and L jacks on the stereo" are you referring to? What are they labelled?

these are the rca speaker outputs on the stereo
  • sclarke523
    Thanks. I will dig around and try to understand the terms better. I appreciate all the insight and help. Just kinda new to taking an RCA out to a speaker in
  • SeleniumFalcon
    "these are the RCA speaker outputs on the stereo"

I don't advise using a Y connector on these RCA connections since that would severely reduce your stereo separation and possibly cause problems with your receiver. Just send the right channel to the right speaker level input and the left channel to the left speaker input on the subwoofer and then on to the speakers.
  • sclarke523

I don't advise using a Y connector on these RCA connections since that would severely reduce your stereo separation and possibly cause problems with your receiver. Just send the right channel to the right speaker level input and the left channel to the left speaker input on the subwoofer and then on to the speakers.

I tried that but wasnt successful. I have an rca male that goes to the stereo but I had to cut the other end to expose the wires to connect to the subwoofer speaker input. I will try it this way again. I have been cleaning the inside of the stereo
  • SeleniumFalcon
    I guess I did't explain very well. Go ahead and use the method you've been using, just don't use the Y cable.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    sclarke523 wrote: »

I tried that but wasnt successful. I have an rca male that goes to the stereo but I had to cut the other end to expose the wires to connect to the subwoofer speaker input. I will try it this way again. I have been cleaning the inside of the stereo

So on the stereo end you have an RCA cable hooked to the RCA jack? Yes? ON the other end of that cable you cut off the RCA plug and used the now exposed wire to hook into the speaker connections on the sub.. Correct?
  • stevep
    Either permutation of that connection sounds like a recipe for trouble
  • sclarke523
    I think I found the problem....there is no volume from the left side output of the stereo. that is why I had sound with the y splitter but not using the rca cable directly. any suggestions to troubleshoot this? this is really interesting.
  • sclarke523
    stevep wrote: »
    Either permutation of that connection sounds like a recipe for trouble

care to elaborate? I am curious. what kind of trouble?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    What's the model number and brand of the stereo? There might be internal speaker protection fuses that have opened up.
  • sclarke523
    What's the model number and brand of the stereo? There might be internal speaker protection fuses that have opened up.

Fisher MC-3050 probably circa 1980
  • SeleniumFalcon
    That looks to be from the Sanyo era of Fisher a combination turntable, receiver and cassette deck. I can't seem to find a free service manual online. I've not very much experience with that type of audio component, usually the turntable has to be removed then the electronics can be pulled from the cabinet. There may or may not be a speaker fuse inside or a failed output device might be at the root cause.
  • stevep
    There are very few picture on the net of the rear but a few discussions imply that the speaker output on the rear are RCA connectors and there might not be any line level outputs. Do you have a good picture?

Were both speakers working before you began trying to hook up the PSW-350?
  • sclarke523
    stevep wrote: »
    There are very few picture on the net of the rear but a few discussions imply that the speaker output on the rear are RCA connectors and there might not be any line level outputs. Do you have a good picture?

Were both speakers working before you began trying to hook up the PSW-350?

yfowtla6v0de.jpg6amm9g45034u.jpg
    m4t9jmk0gloi.jpg
    7l2h8ayr14nt.jpg
    2l5ymxc8rcjr.jpg

I dont see a fuse but I havent traced the black and blue wires all the way back. I will clean the RCA output and run the speakers to see if I can measure any voltage and let you know what I find
    thanks
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    My very first stereo had RCA speaker connectors. I shudder when I think back at the 75' of 18ga speaker wire I had connected together to go around my bedroom.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    The complete amplifier section is the dark grey oval shaped circuit in the middle it is STK013 and made by Sanyo.
  • sclarke523
    I made an executive decision to buy a circa 1980 JVC R-S11 stereo on CL for $45. Boy it sounds better than the Fisher. I do like the real wood and the face of the Fisher better. I will try to get both sides of the Fisher working and use the turntable. Thank you for all the help