how to connect 2 Atrium 8 speakers so each have L&R channels going to them

Options
I want to have L&R channels going to two separate locations.

Answers

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,489
    Options
    Are they the Atrium 8 SDI speakers?
  • SeleniumFalcon
    edited May 2022
    Options
    From the owners manual:

wvz1qqgbdmcg.png

I believe there is a selector switch near where the speaker wire is connected.
  • tniolu
    tniolu Posts: 4
    Options
    I understand this. However, I want to use 2 speakers with both L+R going to each speaker. The amp is rated to support 6-16ohm impedance. Question is what will this load present to the amp? This connection should be possible if impedance does not go out of range.

t3ym6dk679al.png

• SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    It should be a 4 ohm load, each speaker is 8 ohms. They each have two voice coils on the driver and two tweeters so they don't interact to change the impedance. Just think of a pair of speakers sharing the same driver cone and cabinet, still 8 ohms.
  • tniolu
    tniolu Posts: 4
    Options
    Then the configuration I want won't work. The resulting 4Ω impedance will cause the amp to be overdriven. I wonder if the following configuration, a series configuration, is possible? This would give me 16Ω, within the amps range.
    aityav0bm2sm.png
  • SeleniumFalcon
    Options
    In very general terms speakers don't sound very good when connected in series. Individual speaker components, such as woofers or tweeters, can be connected in series, but once a speaker system is put together a series connection isn't sonically advisable.
    If you need a 6 ohm load impedance add a 2 ohm 10/15 watt resistor in series with the positive wire in your parallel connection. This is what happens inside speaker selector control boxes that have "impedance matching".