RCMs

Options
2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I purchased this one from ebay. It's a 40kHz transducer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/273591962180

The bracket and motor housing are aluminum, good and sturdy. The plastic spacers had some burrs which prevented them from sliding on the shaft easily. I used a drill bit spun by hand to clean the holes out. The motor attaches to bracket with thumb screw and nut. The spindle extension attached to the motor shaft can rub the bracket so you just have to turn the motor housing to center it then tighten up the thumb screw.

I have a Broken Bells self titled debut album that had a loud pop about 50 seconds in the first track. I had scrubbed it on a VPI 16.5, used all the VPI cleaning solutions and Tergitol mix to no avail. Ten minutes in the ultrasonic, Tergitol/distilled solution, distilled rinse and vacuum on the 16.5 and no pops/ticks. I don't hear any change in sound quality but I am told it can vary depending on LP.

Count me as sold on the benefits of ultrasonic record cleaning.

7yznr28k8wa4.jpg

eyz8mf08v96l.png
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2022
    Options
    FWIW, the edges of record label can get wet as the acrylic spacer discs have no edge seals. While you can adjust the depth of record into tank, as the record turns solution runs down onto the spacers.

I like to keep the record labels dry as some react poorly to water and I like to put the record in a MOFI sleeve and back in the jacket after vacuuming. If you rack dry, no big deal, the label would dry.

I have an old Groovemaster label saver. I just enlarged the hole to fit the spindle. Yeah, can only do one at a time. To clean more than one at a time, rather than DIY gluing O-rings to existing spacers, I purchased three pairs of WEWU Rounds label savers. Available for 7" and 12" records. I'll have to enlarge the holes to fit the spindle as the WEWU holes are 6.5mm, the shaft measures 6.9mm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YP6CXTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

y2tflb5lq4qo.jpg
    ihcchoq725ix.jpg
    WEWU Rounds label savers, available at Amazon.
    gceom44mn08f.jpg
    v3ngsu9ihczv.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Degritter is too expensive for just a RCM if you're not a doctor ;) the HumminGuru looks interesting I'll look into it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2022
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I always wondered about the transducer frequency as well. It's one of those things people argue about and make cases for. One or more articles said the "wrong" frequency will damage your records. I don't remember which frequency was the right one in those articles.

Doing research I came across this post at diyaudio.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/diy-ultrasonic-record-cleaner-what-frequency-to-use.276858/

"What Frequency to Use and more

As a builder of Ultrasonic Cleaners (a former employee of Sonix4, now independent), I may offer a few insights.

It is true, there have been no reports for damage to vinyl records using the mass-market, Chinese 40khz Ultrasonic Cleaners. They do make a good, inexpensive option for cleaning your Record Collection.

The cavitation bubble formed by a 40khz unit is much larger and more powerful than those of a higher frequency (60khz, 80khz, 120khz, 135khz).

When the cavitation bubble implodes, it releases a jet stream and heat. The larger bubble releases a larger amount of power and heat (10,000 degrees kelvin, according to scientific reports, in minuscule amounts).

The 40khz cavitation bubble is too large to penetrate the record groove, but all ultrasonic cleaners rely on the jet stream to dislodge any debris.
    The smaller cavitation bubble of a higher frequency cleaner can form inside the groove, next to debris and dislodge it.

Higher frequency Ultrasonic Cleaners generate MORE cavitation bubble than lower frequency units. More bubbles, more implosions, better cleaning coverage.

I frequently get asked which frequency is the best for cleaning vinyl records. I recommend the following:

If you collect albums that are in poor condition, such as mold or water damage, the the lower frequencies (40khz or 60khz) are the better option. (Many collectors buy from flea markets, estate sales, etc). If your collection is already in good condition (finger prints and dust), then the higher frequencies would better suit the collector (80khz, 135khz).

Cleaning solution is vital. There are many formulas, but I personally recommend TergiKleen (or a formula similar) because it is archival and used by the Library of Congress for recorded materials.

Carefully monitor the heat in the tank, also. Even though the Heater may turn off the heating element, the act of cavitation will continue to release heat, which will cause the solution to go above the cut-off point! Heat will warp and destroy vinyl records.

To address the issue of cost, I say this: It costs me more than 3X for parts alone than what a Chinese Ultrasonic Cleaner costs! In my opinion, they are deliberately undercutting American Manufacturers.

Hope some of this helps.
    -Louis

Vibrato, LLC."

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    That is the same kit that I had....and Rick now has....

Regarding the spacers.....I never had a label get wet (except for the one I dropped) using the spacers. IMO, the trick is to keep the fluid level just above the lead out groove.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    @TroyD

I’m still not completely convinced that US without actual scrubbing is complete. I think there’s something to be said about physical cleaning on top of US

Just my opinion
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    @TroyD

I’m still not completely convinced that US without actual scrubbing is complete. I think there’s something to be said about physical cleaning on top of US

Just my opinion

So medically speaking:

Ultrasonic : Radiation
    Physical Cleaning : Surgery
    Cleaning Fluid : Chemotherapy

Get it All!!! :)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    It all depends on the way you collect albums. I don't see a need of doing both if you are purchasing new vinyl or trading with someone who cares and handles their vinyl collections properly. That includes how you handle your vinyl collection.

I've been with people who have cleaned their records and stored properly. When they lay that record down on their TT they will spin the player and run their brush then play. After playing they will run brush then put back into proper sleeves.

If you are out there collecting from every where then using both types would be best, but once they are completes scrubbed, VAC'd and US...imho opinion that record would need to be either mishandled or played over and over again before needing the dual cycle.

Just my .02
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    This thread is a great reminder of why I’m never getting into vinyl! Suckers!!!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,607
    Options
    Personally I just spit on it and then wipe it with my tshirt before playing. I don't know why you guys get so crazy about record cleaning.