Amp went into protective mode, I think

I had a friend over this morning and decided to throw in fury on 4k so he could experience the set up.

Had both PB16s running at -3dB and the SR7012 set to 75, which 75 is the highest I have ever pushed it in the past, as it is all I can take. About 20 mins in to the movie crazy amounts of sub bass and loud explosions were going off and the amp shut down and the power light was blinking red. I waited a few seconds, turned on the power button, lowered the volume to 69.5 and it was fine for the rest of the time. The amp was barely warm, and the front three are powered by external amps.

Any idea what may have caused this? First time it has ever happened, but I have only had the system running at this volume level maybe 10 times in my life, and never with sub bass extension like this movie has. Picture frames that were leaning against walls in the room and upstairs were knocked over during the movie.

Answers

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Probably over current protection
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    On a Marantz receiver 75 is normal listening level for me. Are any of the channels, including the subwoofer channels, running above +0dB? Are the controls on the subwoofers themselves set too high?

Could be preamp clipping in the receiver. Audyssey setup tends to trim the levels below 0dB in automatic setup. I'd also use an analog SPL meter to double check levels after running the setup again.

Anyway, sounds like the receiver did its job and protected the system from damage by shutting down temporarily because too much was demanded of it and/or the electrical circuit to the room.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Don't be a bass-hole, and don't use a sub. Set your speakers to full range, and enjoy the movie, not the noise.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Don't be a bass-hole, and don't use a sub. Set your speakers to full range, and enjoy the movie, not the noise.

What's up with that? You used to be like "Oh fooey I burnt the muffins" Now you walk in a bar and sailors come running out screaming.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited May 2022
    BlueFox wrote: »

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
    You never cease to amaze me.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    kabot_avez wrote: »
    I had a friend over this morning and decided to throw in fury on 4k so he could experience the set up.

Had both PB16s running at -3dB and the SR7012 set to 75, which 75 is the highest I have ever pushed it in the past, as it is all I can take. About 20 mins in to the movie crazy amounts of sub bass and loud explosions were going off and the amp shut down and the power light was blinking red. I waited a few seconds, turned on the power button, lowered the volume to 69.5 and it was fine for the rest of the time. The amp was barely warm, and the front three are powered by external amps.

Any idea what may have caused this? First time it has ever happened, but I have only had the system running at this volume level maybe 10 times in my life, and never with sub bass extension like this movie has. Picture frames that were leaning against walls in the room and upstairs were knocked over during the movie.

Do u have external amps? What speakers are you using? What crossover?

Man I just watched Fury on 4K with a buddy. Don’t get a chance to do that very often (both our spouses were at ladies night). That soundtrack is epic! We paused to get another beer and my buddy commented that the first half of the movie was the Speed of war movies, just nonstop. The monolith and the subs in my mains were all just hammering, but the mains are cut off at 60hz and the center at 40hz, and I have a two channel amp on the mains, so no protection mode…

We enjoyed the bass Bud, and I’m glad I wasn’t running my speakers full range 😂
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Do u have external amps? What speakers are you using? What crossover?
    the front three are powered by external amps.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    That does seem strange then…if you’re only powering surrounds crossed over to multiple subs, that avr should be able to produce more volume than your ears can handle…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited May 2022
    The 4K version of Fury with the Atmos soundtrack is very active in all channels during battle scenes. Bass is as dramatic as any movie I’ve experienced. I don’t think the LFE channel is running hot but it is powerful and clean sounding. Running dual PB16s would leave an impression!