What amp for Reserve R200?

OK gang, I've been searching the interwebs. I thought I'd come here for some personal experience and to hear about some options that I may not have considered.

I am looking for a power amp for my R200s. Budget <$1,000.

R200s are on a desktop as I am here at my desk for 8-10 hrs each work day. Can link in a small powered sub if I need bass. Sources are PC (FLAC & HiRez) and various disc players fed through a Sabaj D5 Pre/DAC. I do little to no party volume music, just looking for great sound at desk volume.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!
Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    A Musical Fidelity A3CR (used) would be a good match up for you. Both on (well, under really) budget and sonics.

Welcome to the Polk Forum, BTW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I think @Treitz3 has one of those for sale too!

GREAT amplifier!!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited April 2022
    This is what I'm using and it has excellent synergy with the R200's. I am in the same situation using it as desktop solution in a smaller home office setting. This is a one box solution that is really an audiophile piece.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/keces-e40-integrated-amplifier/

https://soundperfectionreviews.com/review-keces-e40-stereo-integrated/

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-E40-Integrated-Amplifier-p137036102?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgYSTBhDKARIsAB8KuktVVPsAIJ6QpyJmDHE4k846q0r4K5jaRKUV-2byJtgrTBQ3QpsQzdYaAk3QEALw_wcB

I bought mine direct from the US distributor and it was here in 3 days, free shipping. Power Holdings, INC is a great company to deal with.

H9

P.s. My bad I see you have pre-amp. Still worth a look.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    treitz3 wrote: »
    A Musical Fidelity A3CR (used) would be a good match up for you. Both on (well, under really) budget and sonics.

Tom

You selling one Tom?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    I am deciding on whether or not I am going to use that for the LR rig (and keep it for a spare amp in case the KW750 in the big rig ever needs servicing) or just sell it. So, to answer your question? I don't know yet.

The A3CR is the amplifier I had bought as a "spare" amp when my tube amps started acting up. Once I put in in the big rig, it never left that position and it actually stopped the seemingly constant merry-go-round of amifiers that kept coming and going. I can say without reservation that the amount of amps before that was easily 40 or more amps (both tube and SS). Probably closer to 50, TBT.

For it to have that kind of impression, as well as staying power in the rig for almost a decade...kinda makes it hard for me to let it go. On the same token, it can make someone else's rig shine more so than it could with my LR TV setup.

I will say this, if you can find one? I would definitely recommend it. It is a great amp and one of the most linear amps I have ran across in my journey.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 23
    Well, I ended up getting the Schiit Aegir amp. I know the 1st impression is that the 20 watts won't cut it into the 86db R200. But for me, the Aegir feeds two systems:

Daily use in the office - B&K Preamp splits hi/lo pass. Low into a powered sub. High pass to the Aegir to the R200.

Rare use in the living room (when the family is out) with Tekton Mini Lore Monitors (95db).

Aegir arrived this morning. Got it in the office system, and I must say it is spectacular.
    Polk R200 SpeakersSchiit Saga S & AegirCr*pload of old disc players for my old CDs.
  • Final judgement - the Aegir sounded great with the R200 at casual listening levels. But, if I wanted some impact, turning up the preamp to 100% made it barely loud enough for my small office room. 20 watts just wasn't enough, and I didn't ever take the Aegir into the family room for the Tektons.

Aegir is on the way out.
  • treitz3
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

You selling one Tom?

To answer your question many moons later? No sir. I like it too much to get rid of it.

Tom
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    sparky14 wrote: »
    …I didn't ever take the Aegir into the family room for the Tektons…

Why not? That amp might be bliss with the Tektons - easier load with high-sensitivity.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • jbreezy5 wrote: »
    sparky14 wrote: »
    …I didn't ever take the Aegir into the family room for the Tektons…

Why not? That amp might be bliss with the Tektons - easier load with high-sensitivity.

Oh yeah, those two definitely worked well together. I just never listen to music in that room - maybe 1 hour per month there. But at my desk, I've got that system playing 30 hrs per week.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I remembered this thread from a bit ago… after tonight’s session, I had to throw this one in the ring. I built a little Nelson Pass ACA Mini 5W Class A amp this week and let me tell you… wow! It is downright fantastic with the R200’s. (And the “full mod” Monitor 4’s like it mucho too…😁) Beats my Music Hall A25.2 hands down and while it doesn’t yield the visceral impact / dynamics I get out of the old Kenwood KA-8150, I am actually feeling the bass from the Mini. Impressive. Seriously.

I thought the 200’s 86db sensitivity wouldn’t jive with the Mini, but boy was I wrong! Feeding the Mini 24-bit/192K ALAC from the iPad - USB through the crazy little Aiyima T8 DAC/tube buffer/preamp, made for a pretty darn fun evening. Serious synergy. 🤘🏻🤘🏻 Now I need to build a vanity stand with permanent binding posts for the Mini, it definitely deserves it. Good stuff. 👍🏻👍🏻

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/aca-mini

nh0cb45bz7c5.jpeg
    q9xk1nuev8fi.jpeg
    9juied20l6h7.jpeg
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2023
    there's a lovely Kenwood integrated peekin' out from the bottom of some of those photos! Is that a KA-7300 (or whatever the equivalence bronze-faced morph would've been called)? Derp. KA-8150, eh? I thoght the volume control looked like the next generation of bigger Kenwood integrateds. :p

I've gotta say, I would't have even thought of trying fleapower with the R200s -- even being the fleapower kind of guy that I am.

• JayMX
    edited March 2023
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I've gotta say, I would't have even thought of trying fleapower with the R200s -- even being the fleapower kind of guy that I am.
    I know the OP has most likely moved on and isn’t looking for fleapower either, but I just hooked it all up and enjoyed the heck out of the combo. Thought it was worth sharing. 🙂

…and the KA-8150 has some magic in it as well. But this proved to me that it may be time to do some refreshing on its electronics. The clarity from the ACA mini puts the Kenny to shame… but she’s sure a lot prettier… 😍
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • jbreezy5
    JayMX wrote: »
    I remembered this thread from a bit ago… after tonight’s session, I had to throw this one in the ring. I built a little Nelson Pass ACA Mini 5W Class A amp this week and let me tell you… wow! It is downright fantastic with the R200’s. (And the “full mod” Monitor 4’s like it mucho too…😁) Beats my Music Hall A25.2 hands down and while it doesn’t yield the visceral impact / dynamics I get out of the old Kenwood KA-8150, I am actually feeling the bass from the Mini. Impressive. Seriously.

I thought the 200’s 86db sensitivity wouldn’t jive with the Mini, but boy was I wrong! Feeding the Mini 24-bit/192K ALAC from the iPad - USB through the crazy little Aiyima T8 DAC/tube buffer/preamp, made for a pretty darn fun evening. Serious synergy. 🤘🏻🤘🏻 Now I need to build a vanity stand with permanent binding posts for the Mini, it definitely deserves it. Good stuff. 👍🏻👍🏻

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/aca-mini

nh0cb45bz7c5.jpeg
    q9xk1nuev8fi.jpeg
    9juied20l6h7.jpeg

Been pending putting together ACA amp also. Just haven’t had the time. Cool mini.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Very cool. I like it too, and an ACA has been on my list of fun projects, as well.

I'm curious, how do you set this up while you're working to secure the components while soldering them in place?
    I disabled signatures.
  • JayMX
    msg wrote: »
    how do you set this up while you're working to secure the components while soldering them in place?
    I used the ol Quad Hands to hold the board as I worked on it.
    QuadHands Workbench | Helping Hands Soldering Stations: https://a.co/d/3BShzRY

Since the board has sleeved through-holes, most of the components can be soldered on top then finished from the bottom. The smaller caps’ legs had to be bent to hold them in place. I also used a strip of painter’s tape to hold a few components in place while the board was inverted. It was really quite an easy kit to assemble. The biasing process was the most finicky thing, but not difficult.

Highly recommended! Get your DIY on! 💪🏻

60acl8m6j6aw.jpeg
    c82io4k5f08d.jpeg
  • jbreezy5
    edited March 2023
    09bdamu87155.jpeg

Got the above off of Amazon for about $15. Hard to see, but advertised as 360 degree adjustable.

You can also get an extra set of hands at Harbor Freight, but the one @JayMX has, have more vertical clearance from the table and flexibility.

izg29h13hmtb.jpeg

• jbreezy5
    JayMX wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    how do you set this up while you're working to secure the components while soldering them in place?
    I used the ol Quad Hands to hold the board as I worked on it.
    QuadHands Workbench | Helping Hands Soldering Stations: https://a.co/d/3BShzRY

Since the board has sleeved through-holes, most of the components can be soldered on top then finished from the bottom. The smaller caps’ legs had to be bent to hold them in place. I also used a strip of painter’s tape to hold a few components in place while the board was inverted. It was really quite an easy kit to assemble. The biasing process was the most finicky thing, but not difficult.

Highly recommended! Get your DIY on! 💪🏻

60acl8m6j6aw.jpeg
    c82io4k5f08d.jpeg

How do you like the Hakko soldering iron?

I ordered one also for this project.

• mhardy6647
    jbreezy5 wrote: »
    09bdamu87155.jpeg

Got the above off of Amazon for about $15. Hard to see, but advertised as 360 degree adjustable.

You can also get an extra set of hands at Harbor Freight, but the one @JayMX has, have more vertical clearance from the table and flexibility.

izg29h13hmtb.jpeg

Did all y'all happen to see this...?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/198233/free-stuff

Almost everything one needs. Just sayin'.

• jbreezy5
    09bdamu87155.jpeg

izg29h13hmtb.jpeg

Did all y'all happen to see this...?
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/198233/free-stuff

Almost everything one needs. Just sayin'.

I already had some stuff from years ago. I wanted to get a temperature controllable soldering iron for ACA kit (and possibly future kits).

Appreciate the reference though.

• mhardy6647
    I am trying to convince myself to invest in the sine qua non of soldering tools.

https://www.metcal.com/
  • JayMX
    How do you like the Hakko soldering iron?

The Hakko has been fantastic. Heats up quick, simple, easy to use and the variable temp is great. Highly recommended. 👍🏻
  • jbreezy5
    I am trying to convince myself to invest in the sine qua non of soldering tools.

https://www.metcal.com/

Inductive heating. Nice! Good information on protecting soldering tips too.