What amp for Reserve R200?

OK gang, I've been searching the interwebs. I thought I'd come here for some personal experience and to hear about some options that I may not have considered.

I am looking for a power amp for my R200s. Budget <$1,000.

R200s are on a desktop as I am here at my desk for 8-10 hrs each work day. Can link in a small powered sub if I need bass. Sources are PC (FLAC & HiRez) and various disc players fed through a Sabaj D5 Pre/DAC. I do little to no party volume music, just looking for great sound at desk volume.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 15,291
    A Musical Fidelity A3CR (used) would be a good match up for you. Both on (well, under really) budget and sonics.

Welcome to the Polk Forum, BTW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

~ I have found excellence ~

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 25,590
    I think @Treitz3 has one of those for sale too!

GREAT amplifier!!
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 24,295
    edited April 21
    This is what I'm using and it has excellent synergy with the R200's. I am in the same situation using it as desktop solution in a smaller home office setting. This is a one box solution that is really an audiophile piece.

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/keces-e40-integrated-amplifier/

https://soundperfectionreviews.com/review-keces-e40-stereo-integrated/

https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-E40-Integrated-Amplifier-p137036102?gclid=Cj0KCQjwgYSTBhDKARIsAB8KuktVVPsAIJ6QpyJmDHE4k846q0r4K5jaRKUV-2byJtgrTBQ3QpsQzdYaAk3QEALw_wcB

I bought mine direct from the US distributor and it was here in 3 days, free shipping. Power Holdings, INC is a great company to deal with.

H9

P.s. My bad I see you have pre-amp. Still worth a look.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,448
    treitz3 wrote: »
    A Musical Fidelity A3CR (used) would be a good match up for you. Both on (well, under really) budget and sonics.

Welcome to the Polk Forum, BTW.

Tom

You selling one Tom?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SR250; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room HT: Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 700s mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 15,291
    I am deciding on whether or not I am going to use that for the LR rig (and keep it for a spare amp in case the KW750 in the big rig ever needs servicing) or just sell it. So, to answer your question? I don't know yet.

The A3CR is the amplifier I had bought as a "spare" amp when my tube amps started acting up. Once I put in in the big rig, it never left that position and it actually stopped the seemingly constant merry-go-round of amifiers that kept coming and going. I can say without reservation that the amount of amps before that was easily 40 or more amps (both tube and SS). Probably closer to 50, TBT.

For it to have that kind of impression, as well as staying power in the rig for almost a decade...kinda makes it hard for me to let it go. On the same token, it can make someone else's rig shine more so than it could with my LR TV setup.

I will say this, if you can find one? I would definitely recommend it. It is a great amp and one of the most linear amps I have ran across in my journey.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

~ I have found excellence ~

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

• sparky14
    sparky14 Posts: 14
    Well, I ended up getting the Schiit Aegir amp. I know the 1st impression is that the 20 watts won't cut it into the 86db R200. But for me, the Aegir feeds two systems:

Daily use in the office - B&K Preamp splits hi/lo pass. Low into a powered sub. High pass to the Aegir to the R200.

Rare use in the living room (when the family is out) with Tekton Mini Lore Monitors (95db).

Aegir arrived this morning. Got it in the office system, and I must say it is spectacular.