Schiit Audio Freya S preamp ordered for comparison.

Options
I always wanted to get my ears on a Schiit piece for some time now.

I was kicking it around for awhile & decided to pull the trigger.
I went for the Freya S pre since I have a fantastic sounding Opera Audio Ref 50 tube pre & wanted to listen to a SS pre to do the comparison. I have no idea what to expect but that's what the fun is all about. This should be interesting 🤔

"2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.

Comments

• jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Should be fun. Let us know your impressions.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,600
    Options
    I already know exactly how that preamp will sound!
  • pearsall001
    pearsall001 Posts: 5,000
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I already know exactly how that preamp will sound!

Inquiring minds need to know. 🎶 Lol!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "Two Channel:Magnepan LRSSchiit Audio Freya S - SS preConsonance Ref 50 - Tube preParasound HALO A21+ 2 channel ampBluesound NODE 2i streameriFi NEO iDSD DAC Oppo BDP-93KEF KC62 sub Home Theater:Full blown 11.2 set up.
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • pearsall001
    Options
    You could have at least sugar coated it a bit. 😂

Please clarify...good 💩 or bad 💩 Be nice 😃

• Clipdat
    Options
    I honestly don't know as I've only heard the original Saga.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Sounds good. Jason actually prefers the Freya S better than the Freya+.
    This is going to be fun!

• TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    You could have at least sugar coated it a bit. 😂

Please clarify...good 💩 or bad 💩 Be nice 😃

It depends on context. Ugh! I just stepped in Schiit! (Bad) or WOW! That is some awesome Schiit! (Good)
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I honestly don't know as I've only heard the original Saga.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Surprisingly pleasant Schiit. 😅
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,325
    Options
    Just going from a tubed pre to an SS pre will be quite the change.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pearsall001
    Options
    It certainly will be different...in a good way or bad way will take some time to descphifer. This is where the listening fun begins.

The Opera Ref 50 is pretty darn sweet sounding & the issues with tubes now won't be a problem. There aren't many 6H30 super tubes you can roll with the Opera.

Who knows I just might wind up keeping them both so I can switch things up every so often.
  • pearsall001
    Options
    It arrived today... should be a fun weekend. 🤗
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,325
    Options
    Have fun!

And now a word from those who demand pic's....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Where's the pictures?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pearsall001
    Options
    Tomorrow...I'm playing catch-up from St Patty's Day. The pics wouldn't turn out too good. Lol
  • ChiGuy
    ChiGuy Posts: 13
    Options
    I’m a curious to hear about your experience with the Freya S. I’ve seen a lot written about the Freya + but not much about the S.
    Thanks
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Tomorrow...I'm playing catch-up from St Patty's Day. The pics wouldn't turn out too good. Lol

Jeepers, you coulda drawn a pencil sketch by now...
    ;)

Yes, it'd be interesting to hear your impressions of this particular piece of, ahh, Schi... umm audio equipment. :)
  • pearsall001
    edited April 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

Yes, it'd be interesting to hear your impressions of this particular piece of, ahh, Schi... umm audio equipment. :)

Too funny!

I can honestly say that the Freya S is a real charmer in the way it delivers the music.

Totally different from my Consonance Ref 50 tube pre.

The tube pre is warmer & mushier (sounds weird but I believe accurate).

The Freya S is straight forward, deep, intense yet extremely musical without the tube fluff.

Jason Stoddard the designer actually prefers the S over the + with tubes (that didn't sway my decision).

Having the tube pre in my system was very enjoyable but I wanted to change things up a bit. I after listening to the S for awhile I was almost tempted to order the + for comparison. But I was

• pearsall001
    edited April 2022
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

;)

Too funny!

I can honestly say that the Freya S is a real charmer in the way it delivers the music.

Totally different from my Consonance Ref 50 tube pre.

The tube pre is warmer & mushier (sounds weird but I believe accurate).

The Freya S is straight forward, deep, intense yet extremely musical without the tube fluff.

Jason Stoddard the designer actually prefers the S over the + with tubes (that didn't sway my decision).

Having the tube pre in my system was very enjoyable but I wanted to change things up a bit. After listening to the S for awhile I was almost tempted to order the + for comparison. But I was really enjoying the S version & didn't go for it. I had a pretty good idea of it's sound character being tubes.

All in all I'll say that the Freya S is a keeper. I know it doesn't get
    the attention compared to the Freya+ but it should... it's that good.

• pearsall001
    Options
    Man oh man this posting is driving me nuts. It won't let me edit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Man oh man this posting is driving me nuts. It won't let me edit.

well, that is suck. :(
    I wonder what's up with that?

PS Thanks for sharing the update, though! :)
    I am always interested in hearing about active preamps.

• ChiGuy
    ChiGuy Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I’ve been intrigued by this company and their products. The ability to put together a decent amp & preamp (Vidar & FreyaS) that’s made in the US for less than $1500 is of interest to me. Thanks again!
  • pearsall001
    Options
    ChiGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts on this. I’ve been intrigued by this company and their products. The ability to put together a decent amp & preamp (Vidar & FreyaS) that’s made in the US for less than $1500 is of interest to me. Thanks again!

From what I've read the Vidar is an excellent amp. There's plenty of great reviews.
    I'm more than pleased with the Freya S... taking a break from tubes. They really do make quality products. Go for it you won't be disappointed.
    They do have a in home trial period to test the waters.
  • tramp59
    tramp59 Posts: 13
    Options
    I have a Schitt Modi3+ DAC. Sounds great. When I got it the first one had issues. After trying to sort it out they sent me a return and shipped the new one (trouble free for over a year) as soon as the return showed active on FedEx's system. Looking forward to buying some more Schitt (cannot resist) from them.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.
    HST