PSW111 Buzz/Static

Options
I think this was/is a somewhat common issue with this sub but I haven't been able to track down a specific answer. I also tried emailing Polk customer service but haven't heard back.

A few months ago I noticed a static/buzzing sound coming my sub...it was in 'Auto' mode and all of my other components were off. I would hear the same thing every few days but then it became more and more frequent, to the point where now there is rarely a time when it doesn't happen.

I've kept an eye on it and tested a few things... It's completely isolated to the sub itself, the static/buzz happens even when the audio cable is disconnected. It happens in both 'On' and 'Auto' mode, although sometimes it will stop temporarily if I toggle from one to the other. I don't hear any static or buzzing when it's in 'Standby' mode. It does not increase or decrease with the volume, and the Phase switch has no effect either way. There's also no correlation with any dials or switches (not a potentiometer prob).

The bass quality itself is also affected. At times there is no output at all, and other times it is very loose and muffled with intermittent static. There is no physical damage, it's in perfect shape, and no changes have been made anywhere in my HT system for at least a couple years...had the sub itself for six.

From what I can tell it seems like it's an amp issue, but that's about as far as my technical knowledge reaches. Can you help me narrow this down? If it's a capacitor that needs upgrading or something, I have no problem handling it myself if someone could just point out the most likely culprit(s).

What do you think?

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. In all likelihood there's a problem with the unit's bass amplifier and it would need repairing or replacing. It would be best to contact Polk CS by telephone at 1-800-377-7655 and have the unit's serial number and date and place of purchase handy when calling.
    I'm sure Polk will be able to sort things out for you.
    Regards, Ken
  • proteusmaximus
    Options
    Same problem: buzz/hum in standby that can be eliminated by turning the subwoofer power off. I'm guessing it's a subwoofer amp issue. No idea on how to fix it.
  • SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,508
    Options
    How long have you owned the subwoofer?
  • Fabio_rm
    Fabio_rm Posts: 39
    Options
    These amps sound pretty good, when they play, I have a problem with the same amplifier, mounted on a PSW110, and I'm reading that a lot of people have problems with these amps, on the PSW110, PSW111, PSW125, almost always due to switching power supply, bad design , poor components and undersized heatsinks.
  • Fabio_rm
    Fabio_rm Posts: 39
    Options
    Same problem: buzz/hum in standby that can be eliminated by turning the subwoofer power off. I'm guessing it's a subwoofer amp issue. No idea on how to fix it.

To be able to understand something, I would have to listen to the noise. It could be an aging problem of the electrolyte capacitors, try replacing them. The HUM could be attributed to the first capacitor, 150uF 400V, after the diode bridge which rectifies the input mains voltage