Cheap tube preamps

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/product-page/spx72-stereo-hi-fi-preamp

What do you guys think about these ? He sells an integrated too and can pretty much customize anything the way you want.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Very interesting
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Man, that's just like walking back into 1972 and going shopping for audio. Not a dig, just commenting on the vintage look.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2022
    Sure has a lotta knobs.

Not my idea of cheap, either -- but, then again, it's kind of like saying "I want a Lexus, but I wanna spend way less money. How's this Chevy look?" ;)

More to the point -- looks like a guitar amp guy's idea of a hifi (pre)amp.
    The design considerations for an amp used to create music vs. one to reproduce music are nearly diametrically opposed. I'd wanna hear one before plunking down $.
    Look for resales on the aftermarket and, if you find any, see what the going prices are like.
    I'm guessing they might not retain value too well.
    That said, it's probably ruggedly built :)

Heck at this point in time, the street value of the tubes in it probably dwarfs the cost of the preamp! ;)

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2022
    The more I think about this, the less snarky I feel! :p
    (I guess that's good)

Not much info about it. Wouldn't you want to know things like the gain and output impedance?
    How are the tone controls implemented (Baxandall?). Can they be switched out of circuit?
    How noisy is it -- 'specially the phono preamp?
    I'd posit that more is less when it comes to a cheap preamp* :/
    There is precious little info about the preamp, although we can infer a few things about it from the integrated amp's page: https://www.frenzeltubeamps.com/ss-4772-stereo

Where are they located? I didn't see an address, or even a regional clue, in a quick (!) perusal of the site.

Is it returnable? ;)
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Where are they located?

Headquarters:
    14307 County Road 4013
    Mabank, Texas 75147

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • lms
    lms Posts: 26
    There is a guy on audio K that bought one of these a few months ago. He should have enough time on it now to give you some info.
  • tonyb
    Doc, his preamp is under 600 bucks, that is cheap. Lots of knobs indeed, for tone controls of both channels, if you're into those things. His main gig is guitar amps, but I believe his build philosophy is to recreate that vintage tube sound. I do know he builds them to order and will change up parts as requested.

Are these going to sound like a Cary/Joule/Vac/CJ , probably not. My guess is the sound might mimic those old tube amps from those 70's consoles. Which, some sounded pretty darn good, a little rounded at the extremes but hey, ya get what ya pay for right. Change a few caps, better tubes, and you might have a decent tubed pre with a phono for a good price.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Where are they located?

Headquarters:
    14307 County Road 4013
    Mabank, Texas 75147

Tom

Hmmm....Might have to pay a visit
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    If you have nothing better to do with 600 bucks, go for it, and let us know what you think! :)
    Heck, you could almost buy a tank of gas for that kind of money! B)

Hey Doc, do you have an “insider” price for gas??
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2022
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    If you have nothing better to do with 600 bucks, go for it, and let us know what you think! :)
    Heck, you could almost buy a tank of gas for that kind of money! B)

Hey Doc, do you have an “insider” price for gas??

I have fallen from my chair, convulsing with laughter, and I can't get up.
    Isn't there some kind of button I can push for that, or something?
  • mhardy6647
    a report from the field on one of these preamps @tonyb courtesy of someone @ AK:
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/frenzel-xps72-tube-pre-amp.983656/
    Sounds like the guy likes it.

6es6bytv0h4t.png

8i13mev01kzq.png
  • tonyb
    Thanks Doc, sure isn't a Vac, but ya get what ya pay for. The interesting part is he will customize for you and builds them to order. Plus, the phono stage is a nice addition and something you don't usually see on the chi-fi pre amps others sell.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's