CD Player Recommedation

Options
I'm considering adding a CD player to my system as the price point on CDs is just so much better than vinyl and I already have a nice older CD collection. Different from vinyl, I know, but I'm keeping the turntable too. I like to own the albums I like most rather than rely on streaming.

Anyone have good recommendations for a CD spinner? I want to stay around $500 or less, used is okay. Looks like Marantz might have some good options. A DAC for other sources would be a nice-to-have, as would SACD compatibility. Not looking for transports.

Will be hooked up to Parasound Halo Integrated and LSIM705s. Thanks in advance for any ideas! Figure some people here will have models they like and can recommend to me.

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    If you can find a good, used Cambridge Audio Azur 840C CD player in your price range, it might "kill two birds with one stone." I used one in a system as both the principal source for spinning CDs and as a DAC for an iPod/iPad/iPhone dock. I was pleased with the sound.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I have a Pioneer DV 79 AV which does SACD and built very well IMO....not going anywhere soon.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Since the Halo Integrated amps have built in high rez DACs an option is to find an Oppo or equivalent universal Blu Ray player that’s reasonably priced. More options that way for CD, SACD, Blu Ray or DVD-A, DSD streaming, etc.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    I second the Cambridge 840C (I have one), which got very good reviews (Absolute Sound Best Value):

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/cambridge-audio-azur-840c-cd-player

I've found it responds well to a good power cable, Dynamat inside the chassis, fuse upgrades, and isolation from vibration. The more of these improvements you make the more "analog-ish" it sounds. I prefer the sound of vinyl as well, but I switched over years ago due to the difficulty/cost of obtaining good pressings of many jazz recordings. It's an upsampling player but I use the "pass-though" mode as recommended by Douglas Schroeder's review:

https://www.dagogo.com/cambridge-audio-azur-840c-cd-player-review/

It also has a good DAC which I use to stream on occasion.

You might have a tough time finding one for $500, and it seems that used gear scarcity has increased since the pandemic started.

Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions, I will look into these. I was ruling out transports because I have a secondary system that does not have digital inputs, so I was thinking having the analog outs would make this piece more versatile for me. But maybe I should consider things like the Oppos with the understanding this will stay in my main system unless I purchase a standalone DAC.
  • vader540is
    vader540is Posts: 178
    Options
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    I would suggest looking for a Marantz SA8004 or Marantz SA8005 SACD/CD player. Either can be used as a DAC, too. Both are made in Japan.

I have the SA8005 and it sounds beautiful. I play the discs with analog out to an integrated amplifier.

You should be able to find one of them around $600; just look for awhile. I've seen a few less than $600.

Mine was mint at $600 with all original packaging and unused remote. @Clipdat has a SA8004 and his posts convinced me to buy the SA8005. At the time, I was looking at CD players only.

Good luck.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    A good used Marantz SA8001 would be something to look for.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    Looks like I will have to be patient looking for these options if I want to stay within my budget. I enjoy a good hunt though, I am going to keep an eye out for these models! Any other suggestions let me know, I appreciate the input so far!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    edited March 2022
    Options
    These are supposedly good: https://reverb.com/item/51226335-sony-dvp-s9000es-dvd-player-sacd

Too bad no digital inputs though.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Another Sony option is the XA5400ES SACD player. I have one, and it still works great.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/audio-player/sacd-players/sony-scd-xa5400es-player/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Well you could sell yours to him since you don't spin discs anymore!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    These are supposedly good: https://reverb.com/item/51226335-sony-dvp-s9000es-dvd-player-sacd

Run away, I've had 3 of them. The lasers are terrible unreliable POS. Fantastic player when they work, well until the C13 code pops up and it plays NOTHING!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • CottageChz
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »

The price is right and looks to be in great shape. Thanks for the tip!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah looks nice, just too bad that is one model before they added the USB/digital inputs.
  • CottageChz
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Yeah, I did notice that this model does not have the inputs and the 8004 does. I decided I’m going to go for it anyway. It would be nice to have that feature, but I want it primarily for the CD player.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Fair enough. It looks to be in mint condition too which is nice. Enjoy!

Also you can still use the front USB-A port to play back wav files from a thumb drive.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Run away, I've had 3 of them. The lasers are terrible unreliable POS. Fantastic player when they work, well until the C13 code pops up and it plays NOTHING!

^THIS^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk