Tuner

I have a JVC fx-97bk computer controlled Turner it want go into stereo. I hooked it up to an tv antenna and speaker wire still no Stereo. WHAT to do!!!!

Comments

• SeleniumFalcon
    SeleniumFalcon Posts: 3,452
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum, how far away (approximately) is the radio station from where you are?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited March 2022
    I'll pile on with a couple more questions :)

Per @SeleniumFalcon's post: chances are the tuner is not receiving a strong enough signal to switch (automatically into stereo). You might just be too far from the station for good stereo reception.
    FM reception is line-of-sight. Without a very good antenna and altitude, if you're more than 30-40 miles from a even a powerful broadcasting station's transmitter & antenna, there may not be enough signal strength at your location for good stereo reception, so the JVC's circuitry may keep it in mono.

Besides distance, direction may be important in your case, too, @tthrash3r1971.
    Some TV antennas are very directional, although some (very few, actually) are not.
    If your "TV antenna" isn't oriented towards the source of the signal, it won't work very well at all.

Even a TV "rabbit ears" antenna is directional -- its reception pattern, viewed from above, looks like a figure 8. What that means, practically speaking: if, for example, the station you want to listen to is north of your location, the two "arms" of the antenna should point east and west. :)

The other possibility, of course, is that there could be a problem with the tuner itself.
    Can you receive any stations in stereo with it?

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2022
    If you haven't done these things already - now's the time! :)

* If you have an indoor antenna, try moving or turning it to see if you can force the signal to switch to stereo.

* If you have an outdoor TV antenna with a rotator, try rotating it.

Here is a useful app for evaluating "expected" radio station reception at any given location:
    https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/page?p=maps

bx68avwb6n0c.png
    (random image from a current eBAY auction)
    EDIT: That weird little square-shaped thing on the top of the tuner in the photo above is a loop antenna for AM reception (only). It is not useful for FM reception.

Two other thoughts:

1. It looks like there is an "FM Mode" button on this tuner. It (presumably) changes from mono-only to stereo-capable reception, and/or activates "interstation muting" between stations when set for stereo reception. You've tried pushing it to see what happens, yes? :)

slr3qv7snlih.png
    (another random image from another current eBAY auction)

2. It is possible to add an FM signal amplifier between the antenna and the tuner, but this isn't usually very helpful. Amplifiers amplify both the signal & the noise, so the net result may not be any better with than without an added amplifier.

Hope this is helpful!
    Keep asking us questions and we'll keep responding as best we can :)

• mhardy6647
    I have a JVC fx-97bk computer controlled Turner it want go into stereo. I hooked it up to an tv antenna and speaker wire still no Stereo. WHAT to do!!!!

Sorry for yet another post with yet another question:
    What do you mean by "... and speaker wire"?

The tuner is... a tuner ;) and needs to be hooked to an amplifier to listen to any signal it receives (mono or stereo).

quvymdu4q62g.png
    (yet another random eBAY auction image :) )

Those two "output" jacks need to be connected to two "line level" input jacks (labeled "TUNER", or "AUX" or "CD PLAYER", or "TAPE PLAYBACK", for example -- these are all "line level") on a stereo receiver, integrated amplifier, or preamp to listen to it.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Sorry for yet another post with yet another question:
    What do you mean by "... and speaker wire"?

I’m took it to mean he hooked it to two “antennas.”
    1). A TV antenna
    2). Speaker wire
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    I'm guessing we're never gonna find out :#
    Seemed to be a drive-by posting.
    Which is too bad -- I try to encourage analog OTA radio reception anytime it pops up! ;)