Can a new way to tap into geothermal solve a lot of the energy woes of the world?

https://www.quaise.energy/

They just secured another $40 million to get things moving:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10569659/Geothermal-energy-start-planning-sci-fi-style-WAVE-drill.html

I hope it's not too good to be true. No affiliation here.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    At $100 per barrel crude, all focus has shifted to tapping into the hydrocarbons in my neck of the woods.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    Drill baby drill
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    edited March 2022
    ICELAND has been doing this for a while.
    If you have hot springs, you have underground conditions
    That would support this. In those areas, you don't need deep drilling.
    So no need for cutting edge, just some creative thinking.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    xschop wrote: »
    At $100 per barrel crude, all focus has shifted to tapping into the hydrocarbons in my neck of the woods.

And here is the reason we are in the mess we are today. When gas was in the $1.89 range (late 2019) the large oil companies were pulling out leaving the smaller independents that were still solvent to drill. Then came the Corona lockdown of course driving even them out of the fields and many out of business.

So yes at this current price point everybody will start poking holes.

Anybody that believes cheap gasoline/oil is good for oil security is a fool.

And this cycle will repeat itself over and over again.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,557
    muncybob wrote: »
    https://www.quaise.energy/

They just secured another $40 million to get things moving:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-10569659/Geothermal-energy-start-planning-sci-fi-style-WAVE-drill.html

I hope it's not too good to be true. No affiliation here.

It sounds awesome! Like a Ponzi scheme does at first.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorhead43026
    Yeah, geothermal has its place for sure.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    edited March 2022
    Having Geo-Thermal energy puts the Governments' energy usage "Taxation" out of business on the heating and cooling needs of millions of people. Very little cost in running a little 12" fan or three.

Wth. Solar panels are Awesome too. They last for a long time. But, we let Solyndra get 350 to 500 million ( I just heard 500 million the other night ) from the US government (us people that didn't have a say in it) for a financial boost and then 3 months later, they shut down. Obama visited their plant 3 months before I think it was to see if they were legit. >:)

I also saw a builder who built homes with thermal barrier walls on the exterior walls. They sheathed the house all around it, then put 1x4s or 1x2s where the exterior wall studs are and sheathed it again. Creating a voided air space for air to flow upward between the 2 exterior walls. He built a bunch of them. With the cost of plywood now, it might take MANY years to recoup the extra cost now. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • xschop

And here is the reason we are in the mess we are today. When gas was in the $1.89 range (late 2019) the large oil companies were pulling out leaving the smaller independents that were still solvent to drill. Then came the Corona lockdown of course driving even them out of the fields and many out of business.

I agree, cucks ran scared of an orchestrated crisis and gave up their birthright in the process. Covid-19, The Great Reset was not only a book, but an agenda.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,274
    edited March 2022
    Tony M wrote: »
    Having Geo-Thermal energy puts the Governments' energy usage "Taxation" out of business on the heating and cooling needs of millions of people. Very little cost in running a little 12" fan or three.

Wth. Solar panels are Awesome too. They last for a long time. But, we let Solyndra get 350 to 500 million ( I just heard 500 million the other night ) from the US government (us people that didn't have a say in it) for a financial boost and then 3 months later, they shut down. Obama visited their plant 3 months before I think it was to see if they were legit. >:)

You're delusional Tony, Government will find a way to tax the snot out of it. Ask all those folk in California about their solar panels.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/13/solar-power-advocates-slam-new-california-proposal-to-reduce-subsidies.html
    The proposal would create the “highest solar tax in the country and tarnish the state’s clean energy legacy.”

Solyndra .... Well Obama let/encouraged (whatever word you like) that to be sold to Chinese company for pennies on the dollar, PENNIES ON OUR TAX DOLLARS !! Our tax dollars at work....
    Now they are selling the panels back to us .....

That Solyndra company could NOT be sold WITHOUT our great savior's (Obama) permission.

Many places that had great incentives to install panels now charge you a monthly fee to be hooked up to the grid and like California cut the payback for your electricity supplied to the grid. You pay and pay fees unless you have a huge bank of storage batteries and even then Government will find a way to tax that too.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have had solar for a while now, around 7 years, and love it. After I bought my Pass amps I then had to run the AC in the summer when I played the stereo. I flipped out when I got my first electric bill after that, and immediately ordered solar. Also, CA has NOT changed the 20 year solar payback. PG&E proposed that, but it was not accepted.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    Key word there Bud is YET. If they are demanding all new houses be equipped with solar panels then once they hit a certain number I bet it changes. Utilities do not want their bottom line messed with. If they are getting close to paying out more than is coming in no business can last with that model.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    ICELAND has been doing this for a while.
    If you have hot springs, you have underground conditions
    That would support this. In those areas, you don't need deep drilling.
    So no need for cutting edge, just some creative thinking.

But, there are many areas that do require deep drilling and apparently this technique goes even deeper for even better sources. Remember, she said deeper is better in Debbie Does Dallas :)
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,803
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have had solar for a while now, around 7 years, and love it. After I bought my Pass amps I then had to run the AC in the summer when I played the stereo. I flipped out when I got my first electric bill after that, and immediately ordered solar. Also, CA has NOT changed the 20 year solar payback. PG&E proposed that, but it was not accepted.

So how much was this egregious electric bill and how much did you pay for solar panels?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,355
    So does the power company actually send you a check when you generate more electricity than you use or do they just credit your account?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    edited March 2022
    Jstas wrote: »

So how much was this egregious electric bill and how much did you pay for solar panels?

Grid tax proposed by California...
    Bowing to pressure from the California utilities, the CPUC is proposing new net metering rules (NEM 3.0) that includes a “grid access” fee of $8/kW of installed solar per month – in addition to other fees – that could add between $50-$80/month to the electric bill of a home solar customer. If adopted, this would be the highest solar fee anywhere in the country, including states hostile to renewable energy. In addition, the proposal would reduce the value of bill credits for solar energy sent to the grid by about 80 percent.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1

2019 Average price was about $65 a barrel which was fair and pre-covid. Due to inflation we should still be around 80 a barrel. When you start adding in transportation cost, especially overseas that's when it gets nuts.

Flip the da mn switch on and start up now. We are fixing to get into shutdown season where the refineries go to 30-60% for cleaning and change fuel for summer time. If we don't startup the Fed lands and offshore prices will go up at least another $1 per gallon which effects everything we buy.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• pitdogg2
    Gas here has went up 10¢ a day for the four days of this week. We're now at 4.29 a gallon. Two weeks ago we were $3.42
    We'll be past $5 a gallon by memorial day which usually is the start of crazy gas prices for the summer.
    If things keep going we will be in the $6 a gallon by the 4th of July.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,931
    edited March 2022
    Diesel is currently $9.38/gal in Sweden.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

I don't remember the exact price of the bill, but for the 2 1/2 weeks I ran the AC and stereo in July it was over $200 dollars.

It turns out I got solar in 2013 (time flies), and I can't believe my amps are that old. However, they still sound great. Anyway, I recouped the $17K cost of solar in about 5 years.

q76c2geoblba.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    edited March 2022
    Brother if you EVER see me eating a Hot Dog, its end of times.....

• txcoastal1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Brother if you EVER see me eating a Hot Dog, its end of times.....

but but but...

Iconic Chicago restaurant Portillo’s picks first Texas city for D-FW expansion
    Portillo’s CEO also corrects a point of confusion: “It is not a hot dog place,” he says.

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaurant-news/2022/03/02/iconic-chicago-restaurant-portillos-to-open-in-the-colony-its-first-in-texas/

• txcoastal1

I don't remember the exact price of the bill, but for the 2 1/2 weeks I ran the AC and stereo in July it was over $200 dollars.

It turns out I got solar in 2013 (time flies), and I can't believe my amps are that old. However, they still sound great. Anyway, I recouped the $17K cost of solar in about 5 years.

q76c2geoblba.jpeg

That's great Bud, you got incentives, kick back and saved money....those are mostly if not all gone.

Soler is now pretty expensive and supply chain is let's say...forked up

You got when the gettin' was good

• motorhead43026
    edited March 2022
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

2019 Average price was about $65 a barrel which was fair and pre-covid. Due to inflation we should still be around 80 a barrel. When you start adding in transportation cost, especially overseas that's when it gets nuts.

Flip the da mn switch on and start up now. We are fixing to get into shutdown season where the refineries go to 30-60% for cleaning and change fuel for summer time. If we don't startup the Fed lands and offshore prices will go up at least another $1 per gallon which effects everything we buy.

From EIA.GOV

The price of Brent crude oil, the international benchmark, averaged $64 per barrel (b) in 2019, $7/b lower than its 2018 average. The price of West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude oil, the U.S. benchmark, averaged $57/b in 2019, $7/b lower than in 2018. Compared with recent years, both crude oil prices traded within relatively narrow price.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

The majors near the end of 2019 were pulling back on production because lower prices vs the previous year.

And there are plenty of existing leases going unused as usual.

Last year not one dime was invested in oil infrastructure from big oil. Instead they paid out larger then ever dividends to shareholders. Why do these guys never share any blame?

• txcoastal1
    There is nowhere to invest.
    New Mexico gas and oil is 95% fed land...nope not this year. NM relies on the subsidies for education etc

Texas is more diversified as it's rigs are mostly on public, which is tapped, but no more prospects on fed lands because of the moratorium.

So as we rolled into the end of 2018 and finally the end of 2019 we became net exporters vs net importers. Russia was only providing the US 3% the lowest in years.

We are now net importers and Russia provides nearly 10%. We had the opportunity 2 months ago upon threats to lift the moratorium and we would now be able to be getting the at the least, gulf rigs online as it takes approximately 90 days.

As soon as the first bomb was dropped we could have included energy market sanctions.

Ego was in the way

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    Last year not one dime was invested in oil infrastructure from big oil.

You can thank the DNC's capitulation to the Green faction for that.
    When our "leaders" are controlled by delusional "representatives" who make statements such as "Puerto Rico could stop using ALL fossil fuels tomorrow and shift to green energy with no effect on their economy" and there is NO condemnation of that statement by the federal people who control the purse strings, then how confident should Big Oil be in investing funds in additional production ?

Sal Palooza
  • motorhead43026
    ^^ I disagree, it’s why would you poke new holes only to bring more oil to market driving down the price, when your making more money just sitting on your hands?

Now I am sure the huge losses of 2020 also played a big part. Those investors wanted some cash and cash to make up for the year before.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,341
    Bowing to pressure from the California utilities, the CPUC is proposing new net metering rules (NEM 3.0) that includes a “grid access” fee of $8/kW of installed solar per month – in addition to other fees – that could add between $50-$80/month to the electric bill of a home solar customer. If adopted, this would be the highest solar fee anywhere in the country, including states hostile to renewable energy. In addition, the proposal would reduce the value of bill credits for solar energy sent to the grid by about 80 percent.
    Another reason to leave the State of Insanity.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,589
    I'm afraid that there's about to be plenty of energy produced... but Elon hasn't made enough Powerwalls yet to store it. :(

kh4y1tki6z3t.png
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    We've had solar for just over a year now. Our electric bill/month averages around $17 for the cost of the transmission lines, etc. We get a payment from the electric co. each May for the power we put back into the grid . We also get a payment e/o month from SRECs sold for around $40 each. Last I looked there is still a 26% federal tax credit available to offset the initial cost. I figure our payback will be around 9 years since our old electric bills were low compared to the national average. That leaves us with apprx. 11 years of gravy assuming the panels will last 20 years(which is the warranty we have).

Initially I thought of solar if the grid went down(as it does here a few times a year) but we still went with it since it pays us back. Same reason we cut ties on the oil man and installed a dual fuel boiler for heat/hot water. That paid for itself in less than 4 years even with oil prices cheaper at the time of install.

But, I'll be following the geothermal advances being made. Sure, Big Brother will certainly see a way to get some $$ out of it, but the sooner we cut energy dependency on other countries the better. It's bad enough that we depend on China and the like for our products.
  • xschop
    edited March 2022
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that there's about to be plenty of energy produced... but Elon hasn't made enough Powerwalls yet to store it. :(

kh4y1tki6z3t.png

His Neuralink will help the masses forget about the radionucleotide clouds.

PS, it's ironic that the CP Ai chose that nomenclature, as it is indeed what you'd get by bombing a bioweapons lab.
    Post edited by xschop on