Can a new way to tap into geothermal solve a lot of the energy woes of the world?

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,828
    My last 2 PSEG electric bills had me contacting solar companies to get estimates. The three I got so far are all about the same price per panel, just a matter of how much I want to produce (I can fit 42 x 400W panels, something like 16Kw annually). My previous years usage showed about 15Kw consumption so that's what they base the needs on.
    The cost for the 42 panels installed was just under $40K. But, according to the sales guys, I should qualify for up to $5000 state/$20000 federal tax credits? I have no idea if that's correct, still looking into
    that part of it. That same company (SunRun) said I would qualify for 3.49% interest on a 15 year loan, so
    I have to take that into consideration too.

Anyone else got solar care to comment, I'm listening.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,591
    edited March 2022
    We have about 5 kW of PVs on the roof. NH has net metering (still). We pay no bill (except about $16 for the privilege of being hooked to the grid) about 10 months a year. Two months a year, the long, cold nights catch up with us, and we have to pay for juice.

That's actually a little worse than it used to be. We're consuming more electricity in the past two to three years, since we added two high efficiency mini-split heat pumps (with three indoor air handling units).
    ... and we use 'em -- year round (except for our brief seasons of really nice, mild weather, when we need no heat nor A/C). :)

27123272659_699596d5d7_b.jpg
    (after the second tranche ;) of PVs was installed, but before the heat pumps)

3kzf79um76rd.jpg

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    Not sure how the sales guy gets that federal tax credit. I thought it was 26% which is just over $10k for you. Still, we looked at the net cost and calculated the payback period. If you think you'll still be in that house at the end of your break even period then it makes sense to take the plunge. We plan to be here until the end and we are hoping that doesn't happen any time soon.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,828
    muncybob wrote: »
    Not sure how the sales guy gets that federal tax credit. I thought it was 26% which is just over $10k for you. Still, we looked at the net cost and calculated the payback period. If you think you'll still be in that house at the end of your break even period then it makes sense to take the plunge. We plan to be here until the end and we are hoping that doesn't happen any time soon.

Yes, I now see that I simply typed a "2" instead of a 1, the fed thing is up to $10k, $5k for state for possible $15k "saving". They calculated the monthly payment over 15 years based off of the lower number (of course :(), but I am not sure we will still own the house 15 years from now so it may be
    impractical at this point. I literally just started getting estimates for this so I really have to do some serious number crunching.
    @mhardy6647 5Kw is not a lot at all. You must have a well-insulated house there! My last year usage was just about 15Kw, that's how they're figuring the amount of panels I will need.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited March 2022
    Researchers have found a way to harness the power of unicorn flatulence to solve our energy problems. Their efforts have resulted in a power generator capable of powering the entire planet forever from the f art of a single unicorn.

The only drawback to their multi billion dollar investment is they have yet to find a unicorn....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    edited March 2022
    ^^^^ And according to CNN reports, the technology has been patented and licensing agreements abound.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    I'm not sure we would have taken on solar if we didn't think we would be here at the beak even point. I also don't know if we would have gone down this road if not paying cash.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.