Carolina Audiofest Extravaganza

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Tom....a 30 second conversation with you about anything will give anyone ample evidence of your anal retentive qualities brother!!!

I'm going to get copies of that CD for all you guys....surely someone can still burn CD's.

I'm also on the hunt for that Burmester CD as well....
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited February 2022
    LOL, right? This *may* get you by until you can find one at a reasonable price. (I have seen them go for about 80 bucks from time to time, FWIW.)

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6wkaRIbFYCFe79YoV4NBLL

I have no idea if the sonics are the same (probably nowhere close) but it may be able to be played in your LR rig with decent sound. I've never used Spotify, so I can't comment on their sound. Songs 3, 7 and 8 get regular rotation in the rig. 7 is the one everyone refers to as the "Choo-Choo" song and is a great test for dynamics in a system.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you don't even want to bother getting the redbook CD of Hugh Masekela's Hope album. The sonics are very limited compared to what you heard and is the farthest thing from reference quality that you can get....like listening to a badly recorded MP3.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    The Choo Choo song on tidal is drastically different than the CD you have, that is for sure, like it is mixed completely different
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    Yeah, Tidal can be hit or miss like that.......for example, that John Renbourn album, there are three different mixes...UK, US and a reissue. The UK version is superior but Tidal has the US version but still sounds a bit different than what is on the vinyl...
  • Reagan
    Reagan Posts: 116
    Burmester CDs are really, really good. I’m a believer. They compete with vinyl.
    Speakers: Polk 1.2TL w/VR3 mods and Dreadnaught interconnects
    Amplification: ARC Reference 110 w/KT150s; Cary Audio SLP-05 w/Ultimate Upgrade
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
    Digital: Aurender N100H; Benchmark DAC1
  • Reagan
    Stimela!!
    Vinyl: VPI HW19 MK III (Heavily Modded); Origin Live Silver Tonearm; Hana ML Cart; Pete Riggle VTAF; VPI TNT Platter; SAMA; Iphono3
  • Reagan
    Stimela sounded great on your system! I wouldn’t mind trying the Dynavector and/or Hana on that system. I can totally see going to that room with a cognac after a long day.
  • treitz3
    I'd like to take the time to point out that the Burmester CD we are currently talking about is just that. Just your regular ol' Redbook CD. It's not an SACD, XRCD, HDCD, DSD or any of the other ones of the alphabet soup of CD/digital types. Just normal, plain ol' Redbook.

It definitely highlights the potential of what Redbook can do. If only all albums were recorded/mastered this well. We would all be in heaven here on Earth.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Reagan
    Yeah! That’s the amazing part. Even red book CDs can sound great if properly engineered.
  • Made my day reading this thread.

All of you guys really described what a enjoyable time occurred.

Troy, you nailed it with your pictures and matching descriptions of places, equipment, music, and people.

Tom, congratulations on that big purchase!!! I'm happy for you, and I hope Trey continues to keep you "under control".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TroyD
    edited February 2022
    Been a busy beaver this afternoon....

Love the picture of Tom:

“You. yeah, you. Your ears are for schiit and your setup sucks”

9vqazkqup1zq.jpeg
    eaxebznfa5k0ip.jpeg
    vo3ifqnzooxv.jpeg
    1z1g8awvk9om.jpeg
  • VR3
    Dude the tri Vista looks sweet!!! I never was able to properly display it! I love it

How does it all sound????

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • TroyD
    I literally just plugged everything in....man, that was a CHORE solo....and in an hr and a half!

It’s sexy for sure. Best looking MF piece ever!
  • treitz3
    Awe chit son! Now I am REALLY looking forward to Polkfest 2022!!!

You have been busy!

Tom
  • treitz3
    LOL....this pic pretty much defines the look I had when Trey told me he didn't do anything to the bass/midbass network...

gsgxsf638mvp.png

That wasn't the moment, as I was in the sweet spot when I actually asked him that question but if I was standing up? That would have been my exact look...

Tom
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I thought it was, "Hey... is it cool if I get in the pen? Just for a few minutes?"
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Lol, there's that devilish face Tom said you made at that question.
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    i1po0wodatdf.png

Now, see y'all......there is that **** eatin' grin I was talkin' about! I was telling him that I KNEW he did something.....I just knew it!!!

SOMETHING had changed, damnit! The photo tells a thousand words...

Tom
  • VR3
    treitz3 wrote: »
    i1po0wodatdf.png

Now, see y'all......there is that **** eatin' grin I was talkin' about! I was telling him that I KNEW he did something.....I just knew it!!!

SOMETHING had changed, damnit! The photo tells a thousand words...

Tom

I'm dieing over here, hahaha
  • treitz3
    Honestly, I am laughing as well. I think you got the shot of the VERY MOMENT I asked you the question of WTF you did.....you and your devilish grin.

Punk.

Tom
  • VR3
    During the subsonic bass drop

kzrhkpnc7dpy.jpg

fazwel7j922u.jpg
  • VR3
    Ahhh, vocals

4batcwis8gyh.jpg

Like lasers...

31c4sxnj9soj.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Was Elton John - Rocketman or any Norah Jones played??
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Was Elton John - Rocketman or any Norah Jones played??

Come on man...Diana Krall and Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don't Go"
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    Nope. Not any of those were played and Trey is pulling your leg with Norah. She hasn't been played on my rig in so long, I don't remember the last time she got a rotation....or even a song in.

We had an eclectic array of songs from all walks of life and all genre's except rap and opera. Plenty of different formats were used as well. LP's, streaming, file playing as well as physical digital media all played a roll in the day's activity.

For the most part, we played music that most would want to listen too. Come to think of it, I don't recall even playing anything that would have been considered "Audiophile" crap. Sure there were some killer recordings but we listened to and enjoyed/talked about the music more than anything else.

All in all, not your typical "audiophile" day. Just great times, great tunes with great friends (and some new ones).

Tom
  • VR3
    edited February 2022
    Don't let Tom fool you, big fan!

27lcukywak7x.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Looks like you found Tom's "window pane" stash... Don't lick it...