Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,615
    Options
    RD-0198 is the speaker number lol
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    BTW, I had a hard time convincing the salesman that he had the 198s in stock. He kept wanting to order parts by the speaker model number and kept telling me the parts were not in stock.

Noted.

The guy I talked to when I ordered mine was awesome. Knew exactly what I needed and more.

The guy I talked to last week had the customer service presence of someone who really doesn't like talking to people.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    edited February 2022
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    RD-0198 is the speaker number lol

I would agree except he wanted me to go look on the back of my speakers and give him the model number. To be honest he didn't seem to know what a vintage SDA speaker was.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    Product Knowledge is a PROBLEM.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,944
    edited February 2022
    Options
    BTW, I had a hard time convincing the salesman that he had the 198s in stock. He kept wanting to order parts by the speaker model number and kept telling me the parts were not in stock. Finally I told him to forget the model number of the speaker and just search for the model number of the tweeter and he found that he did have them in stock and from there on the order went smoothly.

Yep, when I called they didn’t have them, That is why I threw out Midwest, and The Speaker Exchange, I just went with TSE, I was kinda shocked when they said they would ship directly from Polk Audio..

It's kinda BS really, when I should have been able to get the discount, and free shipping.. Oh well at least I will have them...

You would think they would know what they have in parts to sell, but hey they don't even know that SDA's need a Left and Right speaker..

I think Polk should send me another tweeter for the discount, and free shipping I should have received.. LOL!!!

I am seriously just kidding here, I am not upset about it..

• TennMan
    Options
    I told him right off the bat that I was a member of Club Polk and told him I wanted a discount. He didn't even tell me the total price until he was ready to enter my credit card number. I told him again I was expecting to get a discount and free shipping. He had to go talk to someone about it. He came back and told me I was getting the 20% discount. I asked if I was getting free shipping and he said yes but I'm not so sure. I knew the $116 for two 198s was cheaper than the other two places and I didn't know the Polk list price so I decided move forward and compete the order. Really I was just happy that I could get them. It's better to have them on hand and not need them than need them and can't get them.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    I told him right off the bat that I was a member of Club Polk and told him I wanted a discount. He didn't even tell me the total price until he was ready to enter my credit card number. I told him again I was expecting to get a discount and free shipping. He had to go talk to someone about it. He came back and told me I was getting the 20% discount. I asked if I was getting free shipping and he said yes but I'm not so sure. I knew the $116 for two 198s was cheaper than the other two places and I didn't know the Polk list price so I decided move forward and compete the order. Really I was just happy that I could get them. It's better to have them on hand and not need them than need them and can't get them.

So I would have saved $81.00 going through Polk had the person on the phone knew what they were doing..
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    I ordered six tweeters a few months ago from Polk Customer Service. Four '198s, two '194s. The guy said they had lots of 198s, but I was getting the "last two" 194s.

Some time later, the box o' tweeters shows up. Four 198s, NO 194s. No explanation, no paperwork showing my order for 2 194s was delayed/backordered/cancelled.

At least I wasn't charged for them.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    ^^You're still a bastid for *almost* getting the last 2 of them!! 🤣
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    MidWest just msg'd me.

They should get a shipment of 194's in about a week.
    The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • Kryten
    Kryten Posts: 79
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Something tells me I should order an extra set of RDO198's

i unintentionally did just that awhile ago....
    :s:D

I could TL Mod another pair of monitor 5s and never get my money back out.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    You have to admit that it is pretty crazy that polk still sells these tweeters, I just wish they still sold the old style drivers..
  • TennMan
    Options
    Do they still sell the 6510, 6511 and 6503s?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,615
    Options
    Do they still sell the 6510, 6511 and 6503s?

Not that I know of.
  • TennMan
    Options
    I need to start looking for some of those to. Glad I hung on to the CRS+. Could use the 6511s out them in my 2Bs in a pinch but don't have any 6503s. I'm going to keep an out for some used MWs at a reasonable price..
  • vader540is
    Options
    The RD0194s I ordered from Polk back in 9-2021 finally shipped!
  • TennMan
    Options

Just a follow up. I got an email today saying my order for the two 198s had shipped by FedEx. The tracking number indicates the package should be delivered on Tuesday.

I also got another email today with a new invoice that showed the total price charged to my credit card was $108.60 instead of $116.02 the salesman had told me when I placed my order. Comparing the new invoice with the original invoice shows that the salesman who I talked with had charged me some sales tax that he shouldn't have. Good to know someone is looking over his shoulder and correcting his mistakes.
  • vader540is
    Options
    My RD0194s were just delivered!
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    My 198’s came today as well..
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    Mmmm ,Hope i dont need anymore in the near future!
    Being down under is hard enough to keep up here let alone making international calls.
    : (
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Seriously wondering if the Polk faceplate could be duplicated and in a way that one of several Vifa Branded drive units could be used in place of the 198s?

Simply find that there are many tweeters that should be for all intents, relatively similar performance wise, and be more cost effective if the supply dries up totally.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,720
    Options
    This is the one I want to get ahold of and build a set of adapters for...

https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-BC25TG15-08-1-Fabric-Dome-Tweeter-8-Ohm-264-1442

Hopefully Agent Pontificateur will chime in... :D

Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,195
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Ha! Well I looked at the spec sheet and DarqueKnight's specs and it is kind of hard to find a close match on any of them. Maybe not too far from RDO-194?

What is meant by Voice Coil Former Material = "ASV" ? Maybe (A)luminum (S)leeve (V)oicecoil?

https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-1442--peerless-bc25tg15-08-spec-sheet.pdf
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • xschop
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I bet they are alum former. All peerless I've seen are. I'm also betting the magnet bolt pattern matches the SL or RDO magnets.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Just what the audio world needs, more Frankenpolks. GTFOH
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    FrankenPolks make the world go 'round.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ummm....no.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    When parts are NLA, you'll come around.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ummm...no.

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    I digress. Back to machining some FrankenTweets.