Oh noes: RD0194 no longer available through Polk? Options? 02/14/22

Options
Just got off the phone.

198 available, but 194 listed as 'discontinued'.

I said 'Does discontinued mean out-of-stock, never to return?'

He said 'I don't have access to that info with my tools.'

So...

- Do I try and put in a pre-order with Midwest?

or

- Don't flame me, but there are mods for adding 198's instead of 194's to at least one old Polk out there... could the SDA-1c be modded to use the 198 instead?

I was so excited to fix these things up. And now I'm feelin' a little worried about the project.

[not made of money]

[laughs sadly]
The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * custom 5B on a system for my Dad * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,751
    Options
    Wuhan's or bust.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,669
    Options
    https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/polk-sl1000-sl2000-tweeter/

Might give them a call. Listed as OOS but they may be able to tell you whether or not they will have more coming.
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 693
    edited February 2022
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    Wuhan's or bust.

AliBaba equivalent, or are you telling me I'm more likely to get Rona than a 194?

Cause I'd much rather figure out a replacement than have Rona again...

The Thrifty Setups in Mah House Big thrifty stereo in the basement w/ my custom SDA-1C (built with help from kind forum members) * Beautiful 1966 MCM GE console upgraded w/ Bluetooth, Dual turntable, and Paradigm speakers in family room * Swanky 1980 Realistic system and great TEAC eq with dancing colored lights in the living room * custom 5B on a system for my Dad * Ye Olde college stereo in the garage
  • plastic_avatar
    plastic_avatar Posts: 693
    edited February 2022
    Options
    [thinks]

I sent Midwest an email. I'll msg the reconingspeakers people, next.

Not getting that discount through Polk is a bummer =(

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,889
    Options
    There is no mod for using the RDO198 in the 1C.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xschop
    Options
    Wuhan's or bust.

AliBaba equivalent, or are you telling me I'm more likely to get Rona than a 194?

You might want to get familiar with VSAT's tweeter hack thread lol.

Polk, like many other Co.'s have become victim to their own manufacturing outsourcing practices.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,137
    Options
    Wuhan's or bust.

Polk, like many other Co.'s have become victim to their own manufacturing outsourcing practices.

Being able to get a lot of parts for 30 year old speakers is quite the accomplishment
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,970
    Options
    Something tells me I should order an extra set of RDO198's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,137
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I thought you just cleared out that closet...LOL
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2022
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I thought you just cleared out that closet...LOL

LOL!! No, I still have everything. I don't have an extra set of tweeters though..
  • F1nut
    Options
    I do :)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    I do as well. But I could use more😉
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,489
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I do :)

Ditto!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,343
    Options
    I got spare 198's and the old SL3000's and SL2000's.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Midwest or The Speaker Exchange?? Looks like both have them..
  • pitdogg2
    Options

They have them listed but as of two days ago both were OOS.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Guess I will find out, shows stock on the 198's, I just ordered 10 of them..
  • pitdogg2
    Options

My apologies I thought you were referring to 194, I'm under the impression Polk had 198's in stock
  • Toolfan66
    Options

My apologies I thought you were referring to 194, I'm under the impression Polk had 198's in stock

No worries, I just ordered them from The Speaker Exchange, I have no need for the 194's but might pick up a pair if they come back in stock just in case a set of Monitor 7's fall into my lap.. :wink:
  • plastic_avatar
    Options

Looked through the thread. Holy shitballs, you guys are 12th graders. I'm just hitting Jr. High.

Out - of - my - element...

So Midwest says they were told they might get a shipment Feb/March. Now, does that mean Polk is still making these things or no? And everyone is out because of supply-chain woes?

And, I'm serious here, because it's something I did back in the day... no flames:

There is no other tweeter that matches the specs of the 194 that can be used as a replacement?

I'll do the crossovers first, and wait to see if the tweeters show up this next month, but... in lieu of a replacement from Polk...

• plastic_avatar
    Options
    Well, I wish they'd let the guy from who-knows-where whether or not they'll be back in stock, or whether I am teh fuq'd.

• VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,234
    Options
    Wuhan's or bust.

Wuhan's and Black Dragons or broke/busted. lol
  • F1nut
    Options
    Everyone is out due to supply issues. There is no substitute for the RDO tweeters.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Everyone is out due to supply issues. There is no substitute for the RDO tweeters.
    And yet, I cannot unsubscribe to a five-hundred-and-fifty post thread about "A Real SL 2000 Hack."
  • xschop
    Options
    I've now tried 3 different tweeter substitutes in these Vintage Polks, 2 different silks and one sticky dome ( Morel knockoff). There are options if you make an adapter plate.
  • Toolfan66
    edited February 2022
    Options
    So I ordered the tweeters from The Speaker Exchange. I was just informed from them that they ship directly from Polk Audio..

And they do have the 198’s, well 10 less than what they had.. 😎
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    Options
    Who do you call to get 198s? Polk or Speaker Exchange? And how much do they cost? Thanks!
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • plastic_avatar
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »
    Who do you call to get 198s? Polk or Speaker Exchange? And how much do they cost? Thanks!

I got my 198 from Polk.

1 (800) 377-7655 option 1

Standard spiel:

'I need to order the rd0198, and I'm a Club Polk member, can you help me?'

You get a discount (20% off of 60-something and reduced/free shipping when I called last week). When I bought my 2 and some parts for another project a year and a half'ish ago, it was under $120 shipped

And MidWest is good if you can't get them direct, just costs retail. Seem to be nice people. Helpful, too.
  • TennMan
    Options
    TennMan wrote: »

I got my 198 from Polk.

1 (800) 377-7655 option 1

Standard spiel:

'I need to order the rd0198, and I'm a Club Polk member, can you help me?'

You get a discount (20% off of 60-something and reduced/free shipping when I called last week). When I bought my 2 and some parts for another project a year and a half'ish ago, it was under $120 shipped

And MidWest is good if you can't get them direct, just costs retail. Seem to be nice people. Helpful, too.

I just called Polk and have 2 RD0-198s on order. Should ship out on Monday. Total price shipped was $116.02. I will probably keep my Polk 2B-TLs forever so I need start stockpiling some spare parts while they are still available. Thanks for the ordering info. Much appreciated!!
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • TennMan
    Options
    BTW, I had a hard time convincing the salesman that he had the 198s in stock. He kept wanting to order parts by the speaker model number and kept telling me the parts were not in stock. Finally I told him to forget the model number of the speaker and just search for the model number of the tweeter and he found that he did have them in stock and from there on the order went smoothly.