Nvidea Shield

Thinking of getting one to replace my Roku in the home theater. Anyone have any experience with this streamer? Worth the money? My HT is 5.1 with a 75" Sony TV.
Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Depends…the regular ShieldTV is meh. But the ShieldTV Pro is arguably the best 4K streamer out there for a reasonable price.

4K - ShieldTV Pro
    1080P - Pretty much pick the one with the most features you want.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Thanks for input Ryan. I don’t generally pay for 4K content. What are your thoughts on its upscaling ability?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    fwiw I switched from the older Nvidia Shield to an apple tv 4k, and prefer the apple tv. I think that if you are a power user, the shield makes more sense, but from a family friendly standpoint the apple tv is better, especially if you are already an inmate in apple's prison...I also like that I have two, and it keeps track of all your shows and you can dive right back in on a different setup.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ZLTFUL
    The only problem with the AppleTV 4K (from my perspective) is that it can't do lossless Dolby Atmos stream. It compresses it which is VERY noticeable in the theater. I do use one in the bar though but we only have a 5.1 system there and a non-HDR capable 4K TV so its shortcomings aren't relevant.

@PSOVLSK the ShieldTV Pro does an excellent job of upscaling 1080 content to 4K. Unless you have the same audio requirements for lossless Dolby Atmos content, it is very hard to go wrong with either the ShieldTV Pro or the AppleTV 4K. And typically, they are priced around the same neighborhood.
    The Shield is a slightly smaller form factor while the AppleTV is pretty much just a white box.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Thanks for the feedback. The upscaling is what has me most intrigued. I’m definitely not getting the best out of my TV.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    The only problem with the AppleTV 4K (from my perspective) is that it can't do lossless Dolby Atmos stream. It compresses it which is VERY noticeable in the theater. I do use one in the bar though but we only have a 5.1 system there and a non-HDR capable 4K TV so its shortcomings aren't relevant.

dammit Ryan now you have me thinking lol...while on the one hand if I want the best sound I put in a disc, we do watch a fair amount of disney plus and hbo max dolby atmos content. I very well might notice the difference in audio quality. Can you hear a difference on streams, or or you mainly referring to discs that you have ripped to a hard drive and are streaming locally?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • ZLTFUL
    rooftop59 wrote: »

dammit Ryan now you have me thinking lol...while on the one hand if I want the best sound I put in a disc, we do watch a fair amount of disney plus and hbo max dolby atmos content. I very well might notice the difference in audio quality. Can you hear a difference on streams, or or you mainly referring to discs that you have ripped to a hard drive and are streaming locally?

Sorry, man. :D
    I was referring to all types of streaming. Plex played from local storage, HBO Max, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, etc.
    I can hear a difference. But I also have a dedicated theater room with a sub-30db noise floor and very revealing speakers in it with a metric crap-ton of power.
    The big difference is that the Atmos tracks are definitely more impactful and real.

It is definitely down to nit-picks and a lot is dependent on the quality of the stream you are watching but with a solid system, the audio differences will be noticeable.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    But I also have a dedicated theater room with a sub-30db noise floor

*DROOL* So jealous!