New to streaming

Options
My Wife got me a fire tablet thingey.

I've always been a tape, vinyl and cd guy but I must say I am digging the whole
streaming thing. Lots of choices.

I found a station called 61 Blues listen live out of Chicago, been running for a few hours along with my foot groovin.

In the past I visited few fellow polkies and they had these streaming setups with like a few million songs it seemed. Now I know why they do it. Never thought I'd say that.
This is cool!!

I did order a longer 3.5mm to RCA cable so I can tinker with the tablet while
sitting in my chair.

So, FWIW I'm sure I will be having some questions on how to enhance this capability.

Comments

• skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,337
    Options
    Streaming music does have it place in the world. It is great for discovering new music that you may not have even thought of.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Ok, tired of using the 3.5 to rca cable.

Need some help :(

I need "something" that plugs into my amp via rca inputs that will pick up the BT signal.

I did buy one device thingey, cept I have to power it with the tablet charger to make it power on.

Nothing fancy, just some sort of simple BT box thing, rca cables to the amp and its own power cord that plugs into the wall.

Thanks
    David
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    You can go cheap with a bluDento run via Bluetooth from your phone or tablet. Or expensive. What do you want to spend? What level of reproduction do you want?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • oldrocker
    Options
    For starters, just cheap and simple.

Later, move up the ladder.

• Gardenstater
    Options
    Or you could save that money (not much I know) and put it towards a Squeezebox Touch. I run Logitech Media Server on my desktop computer, which is on all day anyways. Qobuz works great. Tidal works great with the caveat that the hi res files only play their Redbook versions or they are downsampled....not sure what is the deal but I know the software developers working without pay haven't written an app to work with the MQA (for whatever reasons which they are silent on).

If you got a subscription to something like Roon you wouldn't have any limitation with TIDAL. Qobuz is cheaper, unless maybe you go through Best Buy for your TIDAL subscription.

I have heard that Bluetooth SQ isn't so hot.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,972
    Options
    yes, to second @Gardenstater, just buy one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255384706879?hash=item3b761d5f3f:g:uLwAAOSwzpJiCTPF

MUCH better sound quality, lots of apps and stations, control it from the tablet.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • oldrocker
    Options
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    yes, to second @Gardenstater, just buy one like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255384706879?hash=item3b761d5f3f:g:uLwAAOSwzpJiCTPF

MUCH better sound quality, lots of apps and stations, control it from the tablet.

That's a good price, especially with COVIDnomics fully in effect. It may or may not have a remote but with a tablet I don't think you would miss it. I owe it to @rooftop59 @msg and @jdjohn for getting me into the SBT and I like it so much I bought a second one. Even lowered the noise floor in my system by getting me away from computer generated noise spill over into the digital USB. You may eventually want to get an external DAC but the internal one isn't shabby.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • oldrocker
    Options
    BluDento on its way.

After a while, will get a DAC but that's many more questions for another day.

Once again THANKS
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Good choice. I have a couple of the cheapie Chinese Bluetooth DAC's but the bluDento is by far the best sounding $100 ish or less one available. I use the Tidal app on my phone to run it through a cheapie/ freebie AVR in my barn and garage for commercial free tunes while I'm working in there.

Later if you want critical listening via streaming you can wade through all the opinions here on what's best for you. :D
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • oldrocker
    Options
    I did start reading thru a bunch of those opinions for about only about 5 minutes :D , said the heck with that and threw out the question :#

I did discover what DAC actually means

David Ask Crazy. Crazy questions I tell you.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    I just bought the Auris Blume Pro. Like you, wanted something to get my feet wet but nothing seriously expensive. I have this to say about it. It does sound pretty danged good, not near the quality of my CDP but good non the less. The RCA sounded better than the digital outputs. Of course, the digital outs were going to my integrated.

I see this as a way to listen to new tunes, or a playlist while I'm cleaning the house and whatnot...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    LMAO you nailed it!!
  • oldrocker
    Options
    Eventually I'll get somewhere up the ladder.

Trying to get a starting point for my R200's in a different smaller setup.
  • oldrocker
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    LMAO you nailed it!!

Not helping with the confidence their Boss.... :D
  • oldrocker
    Options
    And on another note, since it's my thread.

I made blueberry muffins with yogurt instead of milk, wife said I was nuts.

They turned out PERFECT. HA!!!!!